borderline copd

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi can someone tell me if you have been told after srirometery you are borderline copd..does this mean you have copd.

thanks.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you have any reading from the test, I'm classed as mild with fev of 78% when it should be a minimum of 80% 
    • Posted

thank you paul..but i havent only had it done today so not sure about any of it.
    • Posted

my fev1 is meant to be 83 but its 74 is this borderline? got told its at early stage of copd but thats all i got told x

• Posted

Yes it does, but just the initial stages .

It depends very much very much on your FEV1/FEV reading.

• Posted

thank you archemedes..i will have to go back to my doctors to find out.
  • Posted

That's a very vague expression:  were you told what to do about it?  Eg stop smoking if you're a smoker, go to pulmonary rehab now to keep it at the borderline stage or what?
    • Posted

Hello jude..i was told to stop smoking..had this test done twice today once before inhalers then again after inhalers and said there was no change the nurse said she would give the results to doctor and that was it..im just confused about it all at the moment.
    • Posted

The inhaler was probably ventolin:  if you have asthma your results will be better after ventolin, mine are always exactly the same, that's all it means.

Your GP is the best person to ask what the results mean for you

• Posted

thank you jude..yes it is ventolin.but didnt get a better reading after it stayed the same..i also fot fostair inhaler..as you say think i need to see gp as i dont understand this at all.
    • Posted

i had same yesterday waiting on doctors giving me different inhaler blue not working

• Posted

A good question. I am on borderline? FEV1 is 89, Fvc94, but fev1/fvc is 77. The 25 -75 number brought it down. Is this borderline ?
    • Posted

no problem maryterese..im just confused dnt understand it at all.
    • Posted

I think what others say is right. Get the spirometer numbers from the doctor and ask them or your GP. I think mine is mild, not borderline. But only the doctors can explain it best to you.
    • Posted

I don't see how a FEV1 / FVC ratio of 77 in the presence of a normal FEV1 led to a diagnosis of COPD. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.