Just diagnosed and scared

Posted , 2 users are following.

im a female 38 166 cm tall and weigh 56kg

just got diagnosed with copd and been told its early stages but really unsure if it all and finsing it hard finding others in the same position as me.

i didnt have the bronchodialator test as nurse at the drs was certain i didnt have asthma but if you put my results in your calculator is says low consider copd so dont know who or what is correct.

i go out every day walking to exercise, i eat small but often as no apetite since diagnosis, and im currently cessation on the smoking and not had one in 24hrs at the moment, but would smoke upto maybe 10 a day.

unsure how to attach picture but will type my results below .

FEV1 (L) pred 3.19 mine is 2.13

FVC (L) pred 3.85 mine is 3.41

FEV1 Ratio pred 0.83 mine is 0.74

PEG pred 432 pred 212

any advice is appreciated thank you xx

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Laura 😃

I'm a COPD patient at t'other end of the scale (severe) and, although I don't know what the numbers mean (other than FEV is 'Forced Expiratory Volume'), that tell how well the lungs are working.

Firstly, please don't be scared about it, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) is an 'umbrella' term for a range of breathing problems, from asthma to emphysema to other things with unpronounceable names 😉.

If you've just been diagnosed, it will likely take a short time for the results to get back to your GP, he/she is the best person to talk to abut it, for explanations about what specific ailment you have and what can be done about it.

The main thing though is not to worry over it, worrying doesn't help the situation and it causes the body to produce toxins that just makes things worse. Another point is that you're not on your own, lots of folks have COPD and the fact that you've pasted here about it shows you're being positive and looking for help 😉

There are medicines and treatments available that will help, the GP should prescribe or refer you as appropriate.

I hope this helps ease your mind a bit, if you have any lingering worries there's always someone here who can help ease your mind 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.