Chronic Bronchitis is Contagious?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently read on a reputable American website that chronic bronchitis is contagious. No doctor of any stripe, not GP nor Pulmonologist nor Internist, has ever mentioned this in 20+ years. We'll have a newborn in my extended family in a month, and i need to know if this is true. I have chron bronchitis and bronchiectasis so I have perpetual mucus production and frequent productive coughing.

Has anyone else been told this? terribly upsetting to think Himself might've given this to me.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I too, have had this condition for a number of years, as did my Mother before she passed away from it. But, in all those years, and in seeing a good number of medical professionals, have Never Ever heard anything about it being contagious.Obviously, when coughing you aren't going to smother anyone in mucus, or breath exceptionally heavily in their face, so I must say it sounds unlikely. Whenever I get a chest infection, I've never been told to avoid other people, especially the young, old and vulnerable, so again it cannot be that bad.

I guess the best way to find out, would be to ask your doctor this question and see what they tell you about it. Sorry I cannot be of more help, but sadly I have the condition and don't have the professional background to be in any position to confirm or deny it. As there are you and me, who've never been told though, it sounds pretty safe to believe it is only us who get the infection and not that we can pass it on to others.

Good Luck with finding out the Facts with it.

Georgy0

• Edited

Hello,

I've never heard of Chronic Bronchitis being contagious. However poor habits can spread all sorts of medical issues. Turn your head, cover up, and wash up when you sneeze or cough. I have COPD and I take non prescription Guaifenene 400 mg every 4 hours to control my mucus production. It is a generic form of Mucinex, but much less expensive. Costo carries it in America. I'd be in desperate trouble without it.

All the Best

• Posted

Goverment advice says wash hands and face with soap and water having worked in the health service i have been shown proof that soap cannot kill bugs and a alcahol based liquid must be used for several minutes with hot water paying attention to inbetween areas and under finger nails

• Posted

Hi Philip99725,

I think what Larry49o33 was implying was to use 'products' to wash your hands, so the word soap would be to suggest an antibacterial 'soap', which would come from a dispenser and be adequate for the majority of people. The main factor would be to ensure hands are washed properly, as far too many people forget altogether, about hands being the usual first point of contact to most things. I do not think the comment was to deny alcohol-based cleanser is the ideal product to use. 'Soap' is just the word chosen by a lot of people when they refer to these products. Hoping this will clarify the matter to you.

• Posted

I omitted crucial word from my post: It is acute bronchitis that is now officially admitted to be contagious. i live in acute bronchitis/BX most of the time. Except for lazy-derriered state officials, i hope i haven't shared it around.

• Edited

I realise this is an old query but just adding to it should any one read this at a later date.

The actual lung disease is not contagious but if there is an infection present this can be passed on to others.

Check NHS inform - Chest Infections.

So best to avoid people / friends with chest / lung infections, colds, flu, or any other virus, to help maintain lung health and health generally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.