Cyst, ovary and tube removal.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am scheduled to have surgery in 4 weeks (25th feb). this is to remove a 15cm cyst on my right ovary, they are also removing my right ovary and fallopian tube.

At the gynae appointment they advised they are planning to do this keyhole however it will depend on the day.

my question did anyone else wake up to find the method of surgery had changed from keyhole to laparotomy if so why? and how was your recovery?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi in june last year i had a 32cm32cm cyst and right ovary reomved. There was no way mine could have been done keyhole. Look xarefully at your consent form and dont be afriad to askask questionsquestions leadleading up the Operation. My thoughts are with you on this as i have been through this myself.

• Posted

Hi,

I had 12cm cyst, right ovary and fallopian tube removed in May last year. I was told it would be keyhole surgery but the surgeon changed it to laparotomy an hour before the surgery as the cyst had moved. I had no idea how long the recovery from laparotomy would take, the pre op only covered keyhole surgery.

Hopefully the hospital will be able to advise you what to expect.

Personally my recovery has been slow and painful but having spoken to other people who have had the laparotomy their experience was different. I think if you know what to expect it's probably not as bad, I thought I'd be back to normal after 6 weeks which wasn't the case.

Hope it goes well and you can get plenty of info to prepare you for the surgery.

• Posted

Thank you. That was useful thank you. What do you mean it had moved? do they scan again prior to surgery? im in my final year of paediatric nursing and so not used to being the patient. I have such a lot on this year i am just trying my best to prepare x

• Posted

When I went for the scan and meeting with the consultant, the cyst was below my belly button so they thought they could do keyhole. I only met the surgeon on the day of the op and she took one look at my belly and said there was no way she could do keyhole as the cyst had moved above my belly button. The consultant also told me they would peel the cyst away from the ovary but the surgeon said she would have to remove ovary and tube too. The surgery was about 6 weeks after the meeting with the consultant.

Good luck with your nursing training, hope that you can get the info you need to prepare for it all x

• Posted

Thank you. That is really useful to know.

It will direct my questions for pre-op so i can get some info on if it is changed when i meet the surgeon.

I met the consultant last thursday and my surgery is 25th i too have not met the surgeon yet. It all depends how confident they are with keyhole i suppose. My lump goes from public area to above my belly button.

Interesting to hear from you as our cases do sound very similar.

Regards x

• Posted

mine was 20x7cm.... 3 on top of each other and then a 10cm on the other ovary, so i knew i was facing a laparotomy.

I recovered well, but its taken at least 6 months for me to feel fully healed. I work nights in a care home so had nearly 11 weeks off work. I went back doing my full range if duties.

Good luck with your op. The waiting is the worst partl xx

• Posted

Yes my cyst was large i had a mrmri scan before the surgery so thethey could tell what it was Attached to and its sizsize. Like robliz my recovery has been painful and slow but hopefully you will have better luck.

• Posted

thank you.

yes the waiting is the worst part. thankfully tho its happening very quickly. I only found out i had a cyst a week ago and surgery is 25th february.

i havent had an mri.

Investigations have included Ca125 blood test and an ultrasound scan. so scary tho you can see this big ball when i lay on my back and feel it from bladder area to above belly button. its all being a bit of a shock.

Not sure why they need to remove the ovary and tube but i dont mind anyway.

• Posted

They had to remove my right ovary cause the cyst was Attached to it and i am guessing it would be very difficult to detach the cyst from the ovary. Cant answer for the tubetube though. The waiting is the worst part i argee it was for me.

• Posted

i had the same thing done in april of last year i had my left ovary and tube taken out cause i had a cysts that was enlarging but the recovery had took me a month in a half i hope everything turns out ok for u

• Posted

Hi Tracy2500 was it done laproscopic? do you know the size of the cyst.

Glad you had a speedy recovery x

• Posted

no i had the three incesion and i don't remember the size all i know is that it was enlarging

• Posted

My surgeon managed to remove my cyst on my right ovary and save the ovary, but my left she had to remove x

• Posted

Hi I'm 25, three weeks ago I had a 36x30x12 cm ovarian cyst removed and smaller cysts unknown how many as well as my left ovary and tube they want to discuss my results with me tomorrow they also told me I was given an pelvic washing I dont know what's wrong with me and I'm more than scared I dont know what to expect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.