Damage to Optic Nerve

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, a few weeks ago I was having frequent headaches and occassionally feeling lightheaded with floaters. I went to the opticians and they referred me to the opthalmologist who put eye drops in and said that at the back of my left eye the optic nerve was sheeted. (I don't understand what this term means and cannot see anything on the internet to explain either) He just said that I didn't have any other symptoms for Optic Neuritis and wasn't sure but didn't think it was anything sinister. I am now waiting for a scan of the eye to see what that shows.

However, the last couple of weeks I have been getting pins and needles all over my body, mainly in arms and legs. I've also had general aching pains.

I have read online about symptoms and they point to all kinds of things, Fibromyalgia, Anxiety and possibly MS. As you can imagine this has really scared me as I have read that probelms with the optic nerve can also be related.

Has anyone else had these symptoms or are they too few for me to be making assumptions?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A lot of medications can symptoms like that. What meds are you taking for your other ailments?

I googled sheeting and did find something but sheathing came up more often in the your context.

Could you have misheard and was English your opthalmologists first language?

• Posted

Hi Derek the only medication I am takin. Is lansoprazole for reflux. I don't even think I've actually got reflux.

The ophthalmologist was a foreign doctor and was a little difficult to understand rolleyes it could be sheathing as you said. Is this the same as inflammation though 🙀

• Posted

Hi Lisa I also found a reference to sheathing

I have also found an interesting tutorial written by a Sp Registrar from Ninewells.

I'll post it after this and hope it doesn't take too long to be approved.

• Posted

Have you asked your GP about these other symptoms?  S/he might be able to shed some light on them and they may be nothing.  Your GP can contact the Ophthalmologists if s/he thinks it is urgent.

• Posted

Hi there. Yes I think I may not have heard the doctor properly. He did speak rather quiet. I have my appt in 4 weeks so hoping I will be reassured then it's just that he seemed confused as to why I had it as if it was unusual yet didn't think it was anything sinister rolleyes

• Posted

Personally I have found that opthalmologists all seem to interpret things differently. I had about seven appointments over a period of eighteen months with each one differing in opinon but latterly plumping for early stage glaucoma and the final one saying that nothing was wrong and that they had been confused by my corneal thickness and that wth a thicker than normal cornea you do not normally get glaucoma.

I detected a problem that later improved on its own this year and went through appointments with dithering over a type of neuropathy and early glaucoma. The third one said that it had been a temporary condition caused by a sudden change in BP or blood glucose but will see me again in three months. 

• Posted

I have read forums similar to yours where people have been diagnosed by one doctor and been told something completely different When I went to boots optician initially who found it. They did say that it could be something that has always been there but has never been picked up although I have never had pictures took at the back of my eyes before rolleyes my son had a swelling at the back of his eye when he was 5. He's ok now 17, again was told it was normal for him. Maybe all the pins and needles and aching pains are through the worry about this so I guess I need to try not to until I've had the eye scan. I sometimes think coming towards a certain age could always be possible with changes?!
    • Posted

I don't usually criticise doctors or hospitals on this Forum but I do make an exception for Boots opticians:-)

I got an excellent man there who had been with them for years but by the next time he had left. I read that they are the worst payers in the trade and struggle to keep good staff so now seem to  import mainly middle aged Afrikaans opticians from South Africa who move from branch to branch and mainly just stay for a few years before going home. This maybe because 30% of the branches are operated as franchises. One said that he had started in Truro and worked his way along the coast and now he was near Gatwick and ready to go home. They are probably also taking advantage of a surplus of new recruits who were attracted to the trade for the good salaries at that time.

My wife and I have twice gone back with complaints about our prescriptions. I have had two problems later picked up by my GP and by a junior registrar at the BP clinic one the day after an eye test. When I went back they said that was something that they don't check for but it was obvious to a non-optician. When I went with an eye problem the day after ordering my new glasses they told me to go to A&E without even looking at my eye.

One time I asked to have the new lenses put into my year old frames. They said that would cost £80 plus the cost of the lenses.

I went to an independent optician who said they would charge £20. Vision Express said £10 and Specsavers expressed surprise that anyone would charge for that service.  I double checked with another branch of Boots and got the same answer.

• Posted

Keep calm and carry on. We men have a male menopause as well that we grow out of.

A doctor once told my wife that every seven years our body goes through a major change.

• Posted

I have always wondered whether men actually suffer with menopause! wink I have heard that too about the 7 yr change but if that is true my last one would have been 3 yrs ago...

My worst fear is if this is related to MS cos of the pins and needles I've had of late all over. Funny as I've always had this puffiness under my left eye too and be interesting to know if this could be connected. 4 weeks is a long time when u are anxious about something. I really hope it will be ok. I've not really had any vision problems as such but just feels like a film slightly at times over my left eye. 🙀

• Posted

I don't think that it is a menopause but a realisation that we are not the men we once were:-)

I think that MS is quite rare and pins and needles seem to have many other causes. Do you get them at a particular time of day?

• Posted

It's good to hear a man admit to such changes wink and women are very good listeners smile

No, I tend to have them throughout the day on and off. About a year ago I kept getting an aching pain in right arm. Had MRI which showed slight loss of curvature in the neck. Neurologist just suggested physio but I didn't go as it went away. This time it came back but had aching pains in legs, other arm and neck. They are not so bad at the moment it's just the pins and needles but I also hyperventilate, again anxiety symptom. Feel like I can't breathe sometimes but know it's how I'm breathing. I have brought some Vit B and osteocare cintaining magnesium today which help with nervous system and helps anxiety apparently rolleyes

• Posted

Physio in the main did me more harm than good. My wife went to an osteopath and was much worse although twice acupuncture helped her for back/neck pain.
    • Posted

Yes I believe if something settle or goes away best leave alone. I would love to try acupuncture but I don't think it's available on th NHS rolleyes

Thankyou for listening. I will let u know what is said at my appt smile

• Posted

Each time my wife had her acupuncture on the NHS. The last time they cut her off saying that she was only allowed so many sessions. My doctor did offer it to me at one point but I did not take him up on it.  

What you can get seems to depend on which part of the country you are in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.