Depressed and really struggling

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi im 34 year old male so ill give a quick idea i had a bad break up 2 weeks ago with a 2 yr old boy involved. things got worse when we tried to solve it what ended in a druken arguement with police involved.no one was physically hurt just the fact it happen in the house around my son.i was to blame due to being cheated on and thinking i could handle it.

so now ive been on fluoxetine 20mg for 3 days.im having trouble sorting my life out and with the tablet i take in the morning i cant sleep and have not ate solid food in 8 days lucky i weigh around 18stone.

im punishing my self with regret and also had to move 50 miles away with my ill mother who im trying my hardest not to show my true emotions too.

out of respect i cant get my stuff due to lack of information from her or communication. i know i need time to heal but sleep and eating amoung wanted to breakdown are causing me major detress on top of not knowing when i am able to see my son.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm really sorry to read about your struggles.

With regards to the fluoxetine, it can take weeks for the medication to settle. For me it took 5-8 weeks before I wasn't experiencing intense morning anxiety and panic attacks. It took about 3-4 before my nausea settled and appetite returned and it took about 6 weeks for my sleeping to return to normal (a good routine and chamomile tea helped!). But it is different for everyone and I have been on the medication previously as well, so it make take longer for someone completely new to it. But I promise, staying on it is the best thing you can do, it will help you think and see more clearly in the future.

I hope things start to improve for you soon. Talking therapy definitely helped me too.

• Posted

Hi ive just started this too, im only on day three and feel funny already. Heightened anxiety, heavy chest, dry mouth. Im not sure if its the tablets or my worrying but im pretty sure it is the drug. I also feel a bit more content and am thinking of lots of good things too about the future. Most people on here are saying it is worth it, that we will feel better with time on them, so i am hopeful. I also think of my really anxious days, when i felt in a tunnel and couldnt stop myself feeling confused, and worrying so much that i felt frozen...it was torture, it was not right. I needed help. I guess what im trying to say is, you will get through this, and I will too. I think also finding coping mechanisms for the side effects, like smoothies , chatting on here must be key. Re the nausea talk to your gp maybe they can give you an antisickness tablet 😃

• Posted

hi Victoria and Jay, welcome to the fun factory! Pretty much all the symptoms you're feeling now and a bit later on are the side effects of the fluoxetine. Don't worry too much about them, we've all had pretty much the same things, it just means the drug is starting to work, you might doubt that later on as it takes a while to start feeling better, but it's working away in the background, you have to give it time. I'm in week 14 now and nearly there, it's saved my life without a doubt, but it's a hard journey, and takes a lot of resolve and resilience, many tears, but push through it all, don't forget you've taken the first huge steps to get this far, another month or so and you'll be over the hump. Best Wishes to you all x

• Posted

Hi Phil, I appreciate your message. Today has been an ok day thankfully just a weird head ache around my eye/forehead for a few hours. Its great to hear it is working for you. I hope I can say the same in a few months too 😃

• Posted

Hiya Victoria, oh yeah the splitting headaches, they went quickly, just a kind of pressure for a week or so. Some of us also had a kind of optical migraine, with strange zig zag shapes in the vision, like looking through a kaleidoscope for a few minutes. I had that twice and went to hospital thinking it was a detached retina the first time, scared the hell out of me!! Nobody knows really what causes it, there's no pain with it at all. Try not to worry too much, if you're feeling some strange effects it means the tablets are working. I'd say get plenty of easy stuff to eat like bananas and smoothies, dry crisps, even just a bit of dry toast or crackers, anything, and plenty of fluids. Cut out any sugar and caffeine until you're through the worst, and no alcohol, I made that mistake over Xmas, whole day wasted in bed next day! The morning nausea was one of the worst things, but it went after the first few weeks. It's all par for the course and even though it feels awful and endless when you're going through it, you're going to get through it eventually. If you're worried or need any support, just post, we wont give up on you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.