Dermoid cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi... I need some help and maybe some buddy who has experience with this. I have a 6.5 CM dermoid cyst on my right ovary that has been causing me on and off pain for about 2. I have a 6.5 CM dermoid cyst on my right ovary that has been causing me on and off pain for about 2 years. I have a 6.5 CM dermoid cyst on my right ovary that has been causing me on and off pain for about 2 years nowand is now progressively getting worse and the pain seems to be getting lower. I have gone to the and numerous times thinking that it has ruptured and it never has but everytime I'm in a lot of pain I worry about it. I'm just wondering and getting people's advice on when the pain becomes emergent and also I'm so scared to get surgery but I know it's going to come down to that because the pain I just can't take anymore. who has had surgery and how has the recovery been?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christina, I had and ovarian cyst removed three years ago, and it was done laparoscopally, I had it done at the same time as a prolapse repair, and it was by far the smaller of the two surgeries. I had to have the ovary removed as well, as the cyst was wrapped round it. But honestly its nothing to be worried about. Not really painful and quick to heal. If it needs doing, its not a huge procedure.

• Posted

hi Christina, i had a 10.5cm dermoid ovarian cyst removed almost 5 years ago laparoscopically, and was sent home the next day where i recovered well. I had 5 incisions, 1 on my belly button and 4 along my bikini line. I remember at the time being really self conscious about my scars which did take a while to heal, i then discovered 'bio oil' which i applied every night for about 6 months. I am now 20 and they are barely noticable! I was terrified before surgery, but pain afterwards is of slight discomfort which subsided within 2 weeks, this was nothing compared to the pain the cyst was causing before it was removed! I would choose the surgical route if offered, my cyst was misdiagnosed for about 6 months and by this point the damage it caused was permanent so my ovary was also removed.

• Posted

I just had my 15cm dermoid cyst removed laparoscopically 5 days ago and recovery is going well! In 2 days I was off all pain meds and am just trying to take it easy now 😃 It took me 6 years to take the plunge and have the surgery but I am very glad in retrospect that I did it and it is all over. When we first found mine 6 years ago it was the same size as yours, so it would have been more ideal to get it out then obviously.

I scared myself by reading too much online, that laparoscopic surgery can't be done over 5cm or that it could be cancerous. Just find yourself a good surgeon, make an appoinment and he/she will be able to reassure you! My surgery went perfectly, they even kept the ovary. I think a good surgeon is the key... Look for recommendations in your area. If you can have keyhole surgery it is day surgery so you should be back home that evening. I stayed overnight because I have other health issues to, but it all went perfectly fine.

You can do it!

• Posted

Oh and just to add, I only had 3 incisions. I haven't looked under the bandages yet but they don't really hurt anymore so I hope it is nothing too dramatic under there. Generally they are meant to fade with time and not really be noticeable I've read.

• Posted

thank thank you so much for your message! it's very encouraging and yes I did the exact same thing and I read way too much online LOL. I had my gallbladder out a few years ago lipo scopic Lee and I do remember it taking a few months to heal so that's why I'm a little bit nervous since it's the same type of surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.