Desperate for help with probable IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last 6 months or more I've been suffering from a very gassy disgestive system and bloating of the stomach. I've also had diarrohea on and off for several years. The gas is the most embarassing and worst aspect as it makes terrible rumbling noises which has caused me to become very self-concious. The noises don't stem from hunger but from gas passing through. The noises generally start in the 15 minutes after/during eating and continue one and off for several hours.

I've tried Beano, antacids, as well as Mebeverine from my doctor but to no avail. The only thing that works to relieve the gas symptoms is activated charcol tablets. My Doctor thinks it's IBS but it was a fairly quick diagnosis with no tests. My question is does this definitively sound like IBS? And also, what treatments are there that have worked for people?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like IBS.  If your doctor has diagnosed IBS quickly with no tests, it is likely that he is confident in his opinion.  My brother was diagnosed with IBS based on his symptoms alone.  He only had a fecal cal protectiin test to check for inflammation after his diagnosis.

For me, however, most of the doctors I saw had no idea what was wrong with me and I had an ultrasound, celiac test, and stool tests for h pylori and IBD.  All these tests were negative and provided no answers.  Eventually, after three and a half months of panic, an eighth doctor diagnosed IBS.

Everyone has different symptoms and responds differently to medication.  I was tried on Mebeverine during diagnosis and it seriously upset my stomach.  I tried Buscopan and Nurofen and this reduced my pain with no side effects.

My symptoms are chronic stomach pain with constipation and occasional loose stools and nausea.  I have had back pain and pains at the top of my legs.

• Posted

Do you have any stomach cramps? This is one thing I have noticed cramps are common amongst IBS sufferers.
    • Posted

PS Should have replied to the OP, my mistake
    • Posted

I have a sore stomach all the time in varying degrees of severity.  Last week I was stressed and my stomach got very sore along with heartburn and I had to take Buscopan.  The pain and nausea was what got me running to the doctor last year.  One day I was fine and the next I woke with stomach pain. I thought I had a bug, blamed hormones and wondered if I was allergic to oranges or potato.  None of these things were the case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.