Did anyone have success using Boric Acid for BV?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been battling BV since April and had used many natural remedies that failed(I refuse to use antibiotics because they destroy your body), apple cider, hydrogen peroxide, coconut oil, tea tree, etc. I'm currently using boric acid because I know that it is 90% successful at treating BV in comparison to standard antibiotics that they use. I used it sporadically for over a month and also did the regimen of twice per day for 2 weeks. It seemed to cure it, however, it came back full force again right after the period! I did not use it during the period and I think that's what ruined everything because the blood changes the pH levels and BV comes back! It always seems to come back full force the day right after the period and after sex. Does anyone follow a specific boric acid routine or know how long you're supposed to use boric acid for to successfully eradicate BV? Do you insert it during period as well? I would greatly appreciate any input! 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I used it and it caused bleeding and I was afraid to keep using it. I'd love to hear other ladies oppinions on this as well...

• Posted

I never caused bleeding for me. Have you tried switching brands? I have bought PhD and that did not work, but Boric Life seems to be a  good brand.

• Posted

Oh no I didn't even think of that! I may try that cuz I think the one I have is PhD

• Posted

PhD did nothing for me so I switched to Boric Life by Nutra Blast purchased from Amazon.
    • Posted

I read that you're not supposed to use it more than 2 or 3 days in a week.  I've heard of some women saying they used it for two weeks or even a month straight.  I don't think that's how it's recommended to be used.  

• Posted

I tried all the same natural remedies as you and could only get short-term relief, if any.  I was also on antibiotics 2 or 3 times.  It always came back, at the same times as you described.  Finally I was treated with Metrogel (and took that prescription pill to treat yeast a few days later) and that worked.  To keep it from coming back my doctor has me inserting boric acid twice a week and drinking about 4 ounces of kombucha per day.  This regimen works for me.  Good luck to you.  I know this is tough, but I, like you, have read so many things and tried so many things and in the end, I needed my gyno's help to really fix it for any time longer than just a couple days.   

• Posted

Hello,

I had many issues with BV among other issues. I changed network providers to find out my issue was group b strep and also a bacterial form of pneumonia. After multiple courses of antiobiotics, creams (metrogel, clindamicyn) flagyl, diflucan - EXCESSIVE probiotics, seeing a gastro, immunologist, in addition to an allergist. 

I use Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser Liquid rinse in the shower to stay clean and remove the bacteria, and take probiotics only when i feel discomfort.  vsl3 are the best after trying and spending thousands on different probiotics. 

Luvena vagina moisturizer is also very helpful at restoring a natural balance. 

My issues were caused by stress compromising the immune system

I also focused on boosting my immune system by taking buffered vitamin c and also beta glucan - this company sells a great product 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I understand why you are so reluctant to use antibiotics. All I can say is that some natural remedies can make BV worse. It may be worth seeing the doctor again and asking about natural remedies.

Sometimes we simply need antibiotics. If you're careful about when you take them it can do you good. It's an option if you have no other choice.

• Posted

Hi Layna, I have been using boric acid for 3 days now. It’s the first time I ever use it by the way. My BV is really bad, nothing works for Me. Not even antibiotics have worked for me. It’s really depressing. As of now boric acid hasn’t done anything for me and i know it’s only been 3 days but I haven’t noticed any improvements. I’m still having A LOT of discharge, and itching (but as intense itching as I normally do) maybe I need to give it a few more days. I’m praying this is my solution because idk what else to do and I’m sick of taking antibiotics. Like you said, they only ruin our bodies more. I will update you next week and see how boric acid has helped or not but I’m staying hopeful. Also, my period and sex makes it worse for me too. I was told that if you have sex to insert boric acid that night to help maintain your PH and as well as after your period. I’m sorry girl I know what you feel. This is the most terrible thing ever! 
    • Posted

Liz, ask your doc for the vaginal antibiotics next time.  There's a cream version and a gel version.  I feel like they're less disruptive to your body than taking them orally.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I'm very sorry you're going through this! I'm still taking boring acid and made an appointment with yet another doctor to see if he can get me to the bottom of this, meanwhile, I'm sitting here in extreme pain-pelvic pain and cramps because getting a doctors' appointment takes weeks and my "urgent" appointment is in two weeks!!! I hope that boric acid will work or you, meanwhile it's important to heal your body, so take some good probiotics like Garden of Life Womens probiotic to restore the antibiotic damage that you went through. Also 800 per day of Folic acid, a good muti vitamin. Exercise seems to take away my pain, so I force myself to do it for 30 min per day. I also don't eat bread, grains, sugars or dairy and load up on fresh fruit and veggies as much as possible. I know what you're going through and hope that you will feel relief soon, God bless and keep me posted on your boric acid progress!

• Posted

Please find my reply in this feed with explanation on what I did to get rid of my BV. It may help you, and I hope it does! Good luck! 
  • Posted

I found that boric acid works for as long as you take it. Once you stop, within 3 days the odor comes back. With that being said, I tool a risk and started using lactic acid suppositories. Theyre not the capsules, like the boric acid, but solidified cream so to speak. I found that lactic acid worked better. Kinda reminded me of metro gel but in a solid cream form. Give that a shot. the brand I use is VH Essentials Prebiotic. I buy mines from amazon.

• Posted

Hello Have you tried the Vh essentials already? Does it really work? I have seen more positive comments about it.

• Posted

Hey! So I suffered from chronic/reoccurring BV for 1.5years. It was the most horrible time of my life. I tried RVERYTHING. Nothing made it go away for good. Finally demanded the dr check my hormones and Vit levels. Bc it didn’t make sense why it was happening. Turned out my Vit D was low. I would get an infection every time I had any sugar at all. Vit d deficiency causes a suppressed immunity system and sugar intolerance. I took Vit D 3 10,000iu for 2 months and it cured me. It takes a while for your levels to raise. I went on vacation and forgot to bring it. I didn’t take it for 6 days and had lots of sugar on vacation. By day 5 I got an infection. I took 4 Vit d pills the day I got back, then 3 then 2 and then back to 1. I don’t know if this alone resolved it or not. I also at one time tried the boric acid. It helped with symptoms but it wasn’t ideal. So I found some lactic acid suppositores on Amazon that are fabulous. They are called VH Essentials. They have lactic acid and prebiotics in them. Which are food for your probiotics. I used those for 2 days along with opening up my probiotic, mixing it with a little water to make a paste, and putting it in a little divet on the probiotic. My dr told me to make the paste and use it. I added the lactic acid suppositories on my own. Soooo, after doing the Vit D and using the probiotic/lactic acid suppository, my infection was gone in two days after returning home. No need for antibiotics!! Since starting my Vit D, I have had the onset two infections, and this cleared them up both times. I hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hello!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and taking the time to write this long response! BV is a horrible thing and I really appreciate you sharing your story and methods. Vitamin D is not the culprit in my case, I religiously take supplements and vitamins and my D levels are at norm and I also do not consume any sugar and eat a strict anti-inflammatory and paleo diet. Everyone's body is wired differently, the only thing I haven;t checked yet is my hormone levels, I suspect it might be the the actual problem because I get dryness, insomnia and acne on my face every time there is a BV flare up along with severe bladder , UTI issues. So I'll be going to the doctor next week to test my hormone levels. Thank you again for your response and best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you for replying this! I have this exact issue! I will be getting my hormones tested too now!!
    • Posted

I hope that you can find an answer. Please keep me updated! I am very interested in this subject. I would love to hear if something different worked for you! Good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.