Did surgery cure 100% your FS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with right FS in May, but this started back in February doing chiropractic adjustments and deep tissue massage not aware of such condition. I have since had two cortisone injections and my severe pain went away, totally. In between i have been doing some physical therapy exercises at home. Significantly improved my range of motion, probably 70%. The tightness/stiffness remains, but I am able to use shoulder more now.

During my last follow up check up with Orthopedic surgeon, he recommends surgery to fast track my regaining of quality of life. This, rather than waiting it out for another 6 months or so doing the curre t therapy regimen. The proposed surgery is minimally invasive Arthroscopy removal of adhesions/releasing the capsule. Success rate is in the 90s percentile.

Anyone here who had similar surgery, totally cured from FS? Or did the condition come back after awhile?

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Next
  • Edited

hi regina

nice to see you in the FS room. there are a few of us floating about in here Looby, piper,and barbera pops in from time to time .

morning posse ( had to say hi sorry )

your question. i have been through all that you have said.

has it been about a year for you and the ortho wants to operate. my opinion its too early. has he exhausted all non evasive procedures. i was am advocate for hydrodilatation of the joint ( mass volume injection ) to break the scar tissue up.

i have had three two left joint and one right joint . for me they gave back ROM to 90%. but as piper here will confirm she just had it done and it did not give the result expected

so you are considering ACR . i had the full 360° capsule cut away back on 8th april 2021 and he did the impingement while he was rummaging around in the joint. (i had mine at month 36). it was persistantly frozen and ached

yes its a quick way to get to the finishing post. but you start a complete different course and the line is a long way away again. you have to work your cotton socks off day and night keeping the capsule in constant motion so it does not re scar. it also leaves the joint open to dislocation in the early stages.

don't get me wrong that first night home your shoulder is like a new born it is so loose. you have 100% range of motion. i sat in a continuous passive motion machine for 8 weeks for 4 hours a day and even had to stretch the joint at 3am. the ache from the re scaring is hell it starts around week 4-5. tour body loved the way it was and does its best to re scar back to frozen shoulder

you will have to be dedicated in the rehab for it to work and for me for some reason i developed chronic tendonitis to the long head bicep at the 3 month mark. and 8 months down the line i had the tendon cut and refixed which for me is a 20 week recovery ( at week 14 now).

on this operation the surgeon re visited the ACR and re cut the rear capsule back again !!.

with both operations and now nearly recovered i properly have 80-85% rom. i am happy and have no ache. it was the ache that got me down. mine was never ending !.

yes its worked would i have ACR again. i was going to have the right joint done once healed. now i am happy with what i have in the range than having major surgery to the joint.

if it is something that's needed as i needed as a carpenter read up and learn what's involved and most important get a team together post op. you meed a team i had physio every other day for 4 months to physically keep the joint free. you can go as far as needed they take you into where its needed. its a civil war on the capsule.

will post a pic post op of the joint as well

hope i have not scared you off. from the heart

colin

• Edited

this is what to expect post operation for ACR

• Edited

and this is what i had to strap myself into for 4-5 hour a day

• Posted

looks daunting...

how are you managing day to day living...routine?

• Posted

hi again regina

lol very daunting

i stood back and researched ACR when i was told i have to have it done 10 week to wait.

i found the CPM machine on line from a company in portsmouth . cost £1000 for 8 weeks. yes that much

the surgeon poo pooed it when i said i hired one. when he zoomed me when wasp gate happened. he saw it in the back ground.

made me show him on zoom and went mmmm not bad actually not what i was thinking. can i have the contact details for my patients lol.

day to day now operation two. week 14. gruelling in a complete opposite way. zero movement. in an immobiliser for weeks and weeks. max i could carry for 4 weeks was my arm. then up graded to mobile phone weight. now at 2kg.

and all replacement doors and windows and kitchen are on hold till 5th sept. hey the day i suppose to go back to work !!!!!..

for me its a waiting game to heal and or be re injured again. going for the latter

colin

• Posted

separate message from me

i think you have done so well up to now. you have killed the ache.

that's what we all strive for. to be ache free. and ya killed it girl. if you can do that give your body a chance of getting through it.

its proved you right so far. and to keep pulling at the scar tissue exercising can only be for the good.

video diary 1st each month or bi weekly. and see real time if you are improving. then compare back a few months.

you will see yourself getting there. what more do you need

colin

• Edited

hi Regina, i am at a similar point to you as in I've had FS for 8 months, ive had 2 steroid injections and a hydrodilation & attend physio. I have decided to wait out the FS cos as my consultant said FS has 3 stages and you will be better once you go through those stages,now I know it can take up to 2 years if you do nothing at all to get full ROM back but that can be a lot shorter with having had the steroids & physio....my physio said having surgery can lead to arthritis of the shoulder & further problems down the line- so for me I've chosen no surgery.Good luck with your decision and let us know how you get on.

• Edited

Hi Piper!

My doctor never brought up hydrodilation. How different is it from the regular cortisone shot?

I had two shots and now surgeon is recommending surgery.

I will ask my doctor about hydrodilation.

• Edited

I was told I could only have up to three cortisone shots, and I have had two so far.

I think I will ride this out just like you, will try hydrodilation and continue Physical therapy with light gym workout.

My day job is office desk-based hence not worried about physical burden while my recovering from FS.

Since the pain is gone, I think I am now in the 3rd stage - thawing/melting.

• Posted

Hi Regina,

just as a side note my physio said a surgeon will always recommend surgery cos that's their job.....I'm not saying that they don't have your best interests at heart but that's how he gets paid!.

hydrodilation consists of a local anaesthetic into the area, followed by steroid and saline all done under a guided ultrasound so they can see where it goes in. For a lot of people it's a great success. research it and see if you think its for you.i reckoned it was worth a try cos the 2 steroid injections alone had no effect for me.

Good to hear you are in the thawing stage... you are nearly there 😁 🤞

• Edited

i second that motion

that is all a surgeon knows. i think they are very tunnel vision on there approach

for them its cut and dry so to speak.

google hydrodilatation regina. they put in up to 50ml into the joint and burst the scar tissue away from the bone and capsule.

i have had three of them. i came out doing over head claps.

and it is non evasive. most important. its controversial with surgeons. like marmite. they like it or the dont.

for me it gave back about 30% rom. but some time it doesnt work as good ( aimed at piper) so disappointed it did not take as good.

colin

• Edited

hi again Regina

i have just compared ROM on both shoulders

left 45 months frozen fully taken apart twice. internal and external rotation ( scratch your back) . (arm to your side. forearm at 90°. hand as though you are to shake some ones hand. move your hand out keeping elbow tight into hip) mine are average for me.

adduction and abduction ( arm straight to the side now move straight up keeping arm straight. then other over head hand clap.

for the left i am lacking about 25% rom in adduction and abduction still

right 38 months fully frozen. no frozen shoulder surgery ( did have a bone spur removed ).

i have great adduction and abduction no issues. hand clap over head( if both worked lol)

i have lost external rotation elbow in hip rotate out ( fully locked up). now move your arm from your hip out at 90° as though you are resting your arm on a high wall shoulder height. my arm will not drop down to the floor fully locked still

on the whole scheme of things what i have gained from surgery and still lost even after post op. is probably equal to the non operated side in its own different way.

the non operated right arm which has had 3 standard steroid jabs and a mass volume hydrodilatation jab. i am happy losing slight ROM. and really don't expect it to return ( been over 3 years )

just be very careful on your expectations and what is promised. listen to what your heart feels and talk to your other half. read up and learn about this dreadful condition.

and if it is the surgeon going "gun ho". step back and weigh up the pro and cons. don't be bullied by him. and as i did question his approach and why

and please please look after the other shoulder. dont over work her or she will fail as well. both frozen i was so grumpy lol.

always here to advise. been there got the scars.

fellow frozen comrade.

• Posted

Another question....

If there is no surgery done, does the shoulder degenerate over time just like spinal discs?

• Posted

Hi Regina

as you can see i am bored whit less.

answer to that is yes. on my first follow up from tendon surgery. i have quite frank chats with the surgeon.

when you are paying they seem to have time to talk ??.

we spoke about degeneration of the shoulder in general. age related due to wear and tear..

i have not found anything on shoulder degeneration due to frozen shoulder. thats a plus for all of us.

here’s a metaphor your capsule is like a silk shirt when it’s frozen it’s like a wax jacket. it will recover naturally 1.5 to 4 years

i had AP1 and AP2 scans of the ball and socket to rule out arthritis and socket / humeral head damage.

i have regular blood work done to rule out diabetes related capsule problems.

we are all prone to age related shoulder injury. for me now i have to manage and risk assess every action.

i may be nearly frozen shoulder cured surgically. but i have opened pandora’s box. for the next issue. due to the work done.

as you can see i have thrown the kitchen sink at the shoulder trying to get better. should i have just put the kettle on and waited.

both shoulders really impeded my work and ability to work. hence why i took to the dark side. lol

colin

• Posted

Hi Colin! Thank you for giving me a comprehensive overview of your FS case. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems you have all these shoulder conplications/issues only after doing the surgery?

Or did one or two of these issues have been happening simultaneously with your FS and worsened after the surgery?

I told my surgeon upon diagnosis back in May that surgery is out of the question. He didnt want to guarantee me then knowing it's still early phase and while 80-90% of patients with FS recover fully without surgery intervention, there is still the remaining 10%.

My pain is totally gone, only the stiffness/tightness remain. My range of motion is probably at 70%. Despite, I was surprised to hear him say I am a candidate for surgery if I want my quality of life to be better again.

I expressed my hesitancy due to concerns of complications resulting from surgery, and it seems that is what is happening to you. He said my case is not similar to those atheletes tearing a ligament or broke the shoulder....needing repair or replacement and which he said is truly complicated and involve intense rehab and of course expect alot of pain post surgery.

Bottomline, my surgeon said my case cannot be compared with those -- apples with oranges.

My FS just happened early Feb out of the blue, not trauma causing it. I work from home, the stiffness and pain were unraveling slowly until the pain has become unbearable that prompted me to see the doctor.

Before this, I did chiro adjustments and deep tissue massage which only gave me temporary relief. I didnt know then it's FS, and never heard of it! Upon my diagnosis did I begin to research about it and treatment options.

I am a busy corporate mom and wife that I cant do PT in a center hence I replicate the exercises at home, and doing light gym work out to strengthen gradually my shoulder.

• Posted

Hi Regina

its friday yay

on a really positive note from you. you do not ache any more. really really well done on that. for a frozen shoulder sufferer this is the one thing we strive to eliminate.

yes sorry about war and piece. i have had an exceptionally long journey.

when i first went to the sports physio. my muscles were in so much spasm and knotted due to my work. on the first visit she said " what ever happens avoid having surgery" to the shoulder as it is a very complicated structure.

on my 200+ physio in 4 years ( they have ached so bad its a friday pm treat). laying there i mentioned this conversation and the physio remembered.

her answer was one surgery leads to two and on and on . at this point i am on the second . she said i told ya so !!!.

A shoulder is not a true joint it’s just a shallow cup held in with the ligaments and muscles and tendons.

the shoulder has maximum range of motion in every direction at the cost of stability dont mess with it.

and the next question YES the second operation was a direct link to the operation in my eyes.

the consultant in Harley street. a very well respected shoulder god. his opinion it was due to damage on the initial injury not seen due to the FS.

i have a gym now in doors and i think working it and doing theraband work to strengthen the joint is far better and not counter-productive. now as a carpenter at post op week 14 i can only work with 2kg !!!. and my strength above shoulder height is at 20 % ?.

and as you see by the picture ACR is very evasive on a good note post operation there is zero pain and tiny bruising. thats clever.BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO RE SIT OUT THE FROZEN SHOULDER ACHE ALL OVER AGAIN ON RE SCARING. they don't tell ya that.

on my follow up the surgeon said technically i have removed the shoulder from the joint. do not do any sudden moves as it will fall out . and what happened ( wasp gate ) as i call it

day 8 a wasp landed on my operated arm . instinctively I flicked my arm as you always do. I tore three muscles and drop my shoulder blade out of position it was that egg fragile.

sorry Regina think i am giving the wrong impression with me woes here

its just that you will have to be dedicated for 8 to 16 weeks post op exercising all the time and aching again. its a brutal regime or you will be back to square 1

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.