Digestive Nightmare - please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello there

I have never posted here before but been on the site and read posts over the years.  I realise what I am about to list will have been seen a million times before, but I need to write it for my own clarity.  I'll try to keep it short...but I would be SO grateful for any advice!

I am now 36 but in my late 20's after a bout of general unwellness (all digestive related e.g. frequency to the loo, often loose, spells that I termed "poison attacks with intense acid reflux and spreading pain in the upper stomach area etc) my GP diagnosed IBS.  He did a number of blood tests but that was all as said I didn't require invasive testing given my age and blood results.  It was managed over a period with things like buscopan, lanzoprazole, movicol etc etc.  At the time I had a stressful and unhappy job, had just planned my wedding, was renovating a house and we were trying (without success for a baby).  It went on in a moderate state for a couple of years then I got made redundant and fairly quickly after fell pregnant after 2 and half years trying and suddenly my health just improved and all was forgotten (this was 2011).  Preoccupied with my young baby and not working I felt good for a year or so after having him, then in early 2014 it all started again - just fairly mildly again, as in infrequent bouts but the "poison attacks" started lasting longer, 3 /4 days rather than 24 hours or so. We were moving house and renovating our new one plus other tiring and stressful stuff going on in my life, with poor sleep thanks to a flighty toddler and so 2014 has progressed and all the while the symptoms of 7+ years ago are back and THEN SOME!! Just coming on gradually but more each time to the point where in September just gone it came on and has never really gone.  Since then I have been back to my GP 4 times, tomorrow makes 5.  I am booked in for a liver / gallbladder scan in January.  She has done some bloods (sugar, thyroids, blood count, inflammation calcium, liver function maybe more) and all came back fine.  I returned to work part time in July (but not a stressed role) and co-incidentally we have been trying for baby #2 for the last year and no success again.  In a nutshell my symptoms are as follows (and many of them I've had for years and years to varying degrees):

+upper stomach bloating and discomfort ranging into "poison attacks" where I get intense acid reflux / uncomfortable pain spreading under my ribs

+ noisy stomach - gurgling and grumbling like mad

+flatulence

+lower stomach problems - diahorrea (or looseness), and more recently alternate bouts of constipation, always had frequency passes but recently getting the urge to bear down and go even if nothing passes which in turn is causing rear end itching and irritation and occasional bleeding from the anus (not in stools so far as I can tell), and now recently a sensation of pressure like a broom handle is up my backend!

+ very heavy fatigue and headaches during my "poison attacks"

+ in last 3 / 4 months had constant lower backache

+ split second tiny shooting stabbing pains around rectal / gynae area

+ tender front stomach - pulling sensations in my groin areas (had this for years) and just a general mild queasiness (like I could be pregnant but am definitely not)

+no weight loss, infact if anything weight gain despite trying to cut down

I am an active woman, we enjoy long regular walks with the dog, I work, look after my son, keep the house etc, so am always on the go.  Despite this I am overweight and have been for several years.  I don't even know my weight but would guess I am at least 2 stone over (my dress size is 16-18). I had 2 bouts of H. pylori in my mid-20s before IBS diagnosis, been tested again for that now but came back clear.

Other random symptoms I have had for many years include high colouration in my face, my hands and feet frequently swell up and go down and I sometimes get spells of a random rash (like hives) on my arms and legs for no obvious reason.

Much of all this I have just put up with for years, but the frequency of discomfort and the changes in my bowel habits recently have got me unnnerved and fearing the worst.  I am seeing the GP tomorrow and want to insist on some bowel investigations and will go privately if needs be.  I know from past experience that anxiety only exacerbates things so I am trying (and failing!) my best to keep the sensible head....no really I am totally panicking!

Any advice, or people experiencing the same or similar I would love to hear from!!

(oh yes, and today for the first time ever I passed the oddest long fibrous strands, like corn cob silks, which freaked me out!! Only relavent thing I've eaten is green beans and they have never done that before.  Though I do always struggle to digest salad leaves).

Sorry for the long post despite my initial promise - I appreciate anyone's help who made it to the end. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear maybel,

Some people like me really like long blogs because it gives a more complete picture about what is happening to you.

I am not medically trained but I have IBS and type 2 diabetes. I have been taken to hospital twice this year. In 2012 I was in hospital for what they say was a bowel infection, it was easily cleared up with IV metronidazole and ciprofloxacin. However, while I was there I passed bright red blood. When I mentioned it to the ward doctor she did not seem a bit concerned and said the blood tests would show if I had a real problem, suggesting it was a broken haemorrhoid. I found it quite worrying because I always seem to assume the worst.

I had serious problems with my weight but when I got IBS I decided to really do something about it. I cut out wheat, rye and dairy products and this alone made a massive difference to my general health. I also cut out citrus fruits, coffee, limited fats and oils, alcohol and fizzy drinks. My IBS symptoms improved and my weight fell from 31 stone to 24 stone. My GP was very supprised and my wife said it was like going out with a different person. I now stick to the low FODMAP diet and don't feel hungry or hard done by at all. I also have type 2 diabetes and by losing weight I no longer require insulin.

Of course stress is another problem with people who suffer from IBS. Stress really makes things worse for me but at the moment I have difficulty controlling it.

My sister said she had problems conceiving when she was under a lot of stress, our bodies seem to know that its not the time to get pregnant. When you get into a more relaxed environment and do not feel much pressure then my sister said it was pretty easy. Stress seems to mess up lots of things.

Obviously, you must do what your GP advises but try not to worry and see if changing your diet helps. It did for me.

Wishing you all the very best

robert

• Posted

Hi Robert

I appreciate your response thanks. I've just been saying to my husband its usually 95% likely to be nothing but us worriers fixate on that blessed 5%!!

I know what you mean about stress, its shaped a lot of my life - weirdly I never feel consciously stressed and can always sleep etc, but phyiscally it just wrecks my body, and you are so right about it affecting fertility, I am sure it did the first time around and my husband is convinced by it! Quite often I think I should see a therapist for my head not a GP for my body lol!

Oh well, see what is said tomorrow - just couldn't have flared up at a worse time of year rolleyes

Finally, you are also totally right about diet, and its something I've been putting off for year and years, just because my symptoms previously were managable.  I am dreading trying to keep a food diary and taking everything out of my diet.  I love pasta and rich spicey foods and can't imagine my life without a good wine, a nice beer or a little segment of cheese sad ...when you work hard and are always on the go you feel you deserve a little treat!!

Anyway, I think in my 36th year I need to sort myself out so it's going to be my new years resolution - take my diet in hand!

All the best smile

• Posted

Hi there Maybel, what concerns me is the weight gain since your an active lady are you eating 3 times a day as eating properly will help but if you are go back to your gp and ask for a scan on your ovaries to rule out something on them i wish you all the best hun xxxxxx
  • Posted

Dear maybel,

I wish you all the best with the diet, please do things slowly as a sudden change will throw your system into panic and it can make you feel depressed. I would hate to suggest something that upsets you. Please let me know how you get on.

best regards

robert

• Posted

Hi maybel 

I could of wrote this myself for a moment I actually thought it was my thread from a few years ago 😞 I suffer terribly. endless tests I'm still non of the wiser I go back to the gi in January for my test results from my ph study test.  how did it go at the drs? X

• Posted

Hi Vicky, good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you suffer too 😡, it does suck. I must admit I feel better. Through last weekend and into Christmas it continued but for the last few days ive felt great. After boxing day I've just been grazing which seems to reduce effects on my stomach and rear end been much better. For me, I do think its very much related to anxiety and sleep. I don't sleep badly in myself but my toddler is a bad sleeper so I'm up 2 or 3 times through the night and consequently generally survive on 5 hours of broken sleep.

My doctor said she will refer me to gastro for a sigmoidoscopy and I'm already having a abdomen and pelvis scan next Tuesday. I'm in two minds about the bottom camera as I don't feel too bad right now - but then i always do that, and when it flares up again i panic.

What kind of symptoms do you have? Do you have gynae issues too?

• Posted

Hi maybel,

Glad to hear you've been feeling ok always nice to have little break periods 😊. I have many symptoms it all started for me in 2011 I had a pretty intense year with my father he was in intensive care we thought he wasn't going to make it,he did by some miricle then we went away to tennerife had a lovely holiday but I got myself in such a state with the airplane anyway by the time November came I had a massive panic attack out the blue I thought I was dying sounds dramatic but honestly my life was in ruin from that day. I'm a lot better then I was a lot better my symptoms are all in the digestive tract from my mouth to my bum, acid reflux stomach problems ,gyne problems I've always had I've had a laparoscopy in 2001 things have been better since but still have pain down there xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.