Digestive side effects of citalopram.

Posted , 18 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced bloating and indigestion on Citalopram, even after long term use?

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Iv now been on Amitriptyline & atenolol for a number of weeks now although I'm unsure if they are actually working as I still feel anxious maybe not as bad as I was but trying to convince myself that I'm fine as the Gp's have said is still difficult, even worrying about the stomach acid is very difficult as it's something that I've never had.
  • Posted

Hi Bill

Your symptoms must be quite severe, to need those drugs so I think you will need to sticj with it ---but I'm not a doctor.

• Posted

Hi, I have been on Citalipram for 2 years after a near death car accident,

I have started having serve abdominal pain.

Is this ok? my doctor said it wouldn't have anything to do with it, but i am not convinced.

I have been for blood tests etc and everything is fine.

Dont know what to do.

• Posted

Hi, I have just weaned myself off 40mg citalopram after taking them for nine years due to the effects of chemo. I have done this very gradually over about 15 weeks and am now three weeks clear of taking them. Since stopping them completely I have noticed two things, firstly I have a reduced appetite and feel really bloated most of the time, secondly and which is creating me more concern is my emotions, I well up with tears at the slightest thing and feel as tho if I start crying I just won't stop, has anyone else experienced this?
    • Posted

Hi angi,

I have been on citalipram for 10 months and slowly coming off onto something new as like you I feel bloated all of the time rolleyes

• Posted

Hi, I am a mature lady, been on Citalopram 20mg for nearly three weeks, After being on 10mg for a week. I have a couple of good days a week, and the rest not so good. I lost my appetite about three weeks ago, have lost weight, which I needed to!! But not a pleasant way to do it! 

I now feel sick as soon as I open my eyes when I wake up after quite a good night's sleep.

i am living on porridge and half a tin of soup a day, (not together, of course!).phoned the Pharmacist, and he said I should start to feel better soon!

the thing is, it is ironic that we are given something that makes us feel worse to start with! My doctor has asked me for blood and stool tests, which is making me worry more!!

• Posted

Part two, as I couldn't write any more in the square above!

It is comforting to find that other people are suffering similar to me, you find out more on here than you do your doctor!!!

• Posted

Also, how do I create a direct link to this page, please? Thanks.
  • Posted

I was on citalopram for a while but felt so unwell on it that I gradually eased myself off.  I had awful stomach issues - indigestion, tummy 'grumbling', and like others a mixture of constipation at times and then mild diaorrhea at others.  Every time I ate anything I felt really nauseous - most unusual for me as normally I have a good digestive system and eat well.  Also got horrible horrible headaches.  I'm still very 'up and down' and have anxiety, is there an alternative to the prozac type medications? I dont want to take them again as I felt so bad.
  • Posted

Hi all!

I am gonna ad my little story here with Citalopham.

(for full disclosure....the only other pill in this cathegory that I ever took was Cipralex more that 5 years ago for 1 year.... but it had 6 month brains freeze withdrawal effact after I stopped it, so I am probably very sensitive)

So I went to a doctor and we talked about sleep and anxiety.

She gave me a sample tablets. 30mg pills.  I took 1 (as in one) here is what happened.

Psychologically it took me to despair never felt before. No worry about suiside as I could not get up smile

So physically, I could not get up to pee or drink water for 24hrs. Next 24 hours thats all I was capable of doing. Third day, feeling better I felt like eating a bit a 1/2 can of soup sent me back to bed. It was a week I was able to eat more that a few bites. To this she wrote down "medication didn't agree with patient".

Weeks later whe I was complaining of discomfort and pain, she sent me for acid test. Negative. Atmost I had irritation in my esophagus, don't think it's heartburn, but anyway.

I have been surviving the last 9 months by eating little, not eating when the stomach doesn't seem to be ready for food. Not working so I am able to lie down if I don't feel well. Tried changing the diet, no help.

That doctor disappeared a while ago, so I saw a new doctor a few weeks ago and he doens't even believe me that this happened, and that was the cause of this condition. So sent me for blood test...all fine...another acid test...negative.

Waiting on Lactose test results.

I think the medication changed my stomach (or duodenum seem to have a lot to do with how SSRIs work) maybe permanenty. GPs just can't even imagine what to do with this. Blood test fine...you don't have major desease...your stomach is working....end of story.  This is where heathcare in Canada got to.  sad

• Posted

Hello there. I am only on day 4 of taking citalopram and the last 2 days the acid reflux is AWFUL. I already have been diagnosed with Acid reflux years ago but never this bad. My stomach is so bloated, gas passing out of my butt and the acid builds in my throat and literally makes me cough. I am only on day 4 and everyone keeps saying it will get better. I have NEVER been on anything before but my anxiety was taking over my life. God I hope this goes away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.