Digestive side effects of citalopram.

Posted , 18 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced bloating and indigestion on Citalopram, even after long term use?

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Paul,

I have been on CIt for a year now and in the last cpl months I have developed GERD and vicious cough and waking nights. I did not link the Cit to the GERD but I saw a post that made the light buld come on. I am nervous to stop the Cit but really dislinking the GERD thing!!   Have you found a happy medium? 

• Posted

I took citalopram two years ago for post traumatic stress and was on them for 9 months. Never had digestive issues before or acid reflux. When I was prescribed them I was given omeprazole as well. While taking them I developed weight gain and bloated stomach and never felt hungry.

Mentally I was numb inability to feel normal emotions or empathy for anyone.

I came off them independently, cold turkey didn't have to bad of reaction.

What I have experienced from beginning is excessive bloating starting from minute I eat anything and abdomen pain. This gradually has gotten worse I developed ibs symptoms with sluggish bowel.

Also have server gerd, dyspepsia loud bowel sounds at night.

Constipation, diarrhoea or inability to empty my bowel properly.

I know using this antidepressants has created some of these issues as all develop after taking them and some is related to my lifestyle but I would ask people to be weary of this medication

• Posted

Hi 

I have been on citaopram for years and have started getting digestive went to see my gp and she told me tests with been done but if it comes bk to the tablets i must come off them

i get a pain in the start of my tummy and burning feeling and i also reflex 

• Posted

Stomach feels on fire after sleep .From flat stomach to looking pregnant ! Jaw feels as if it's going to become locked !! ( reading other people's symptoms when on citalopram have made me realise it's the tablet )!!! Will not be taking it any longer .

• Posted

I have been using 40mg of citalopram a day for about 4 years now and I never associated any of these symptoms with the meds.... until now. I too have always been very skinny regardless of how much I ate, I still am skinny u understand but my stomach has changed so dam much, I have gained 3 stone and it’s all in my stomach area. I too get unbelievable heartburn/indigestion every day and am also prescribed lansoprazole. I have severe anxiety which makes it a struggle to go any distance from home, if I panic then the flight response is automatically triggered and within a minute I need to get to a loo.... now! I too have noticed the confidence destroying problems with the bowel movements, horrible and soft/sticky, feeling like ur never really finished etc. etc. Until, I ran out of meds just before Christmas but I was sure I had some extras and didn’t think I needed any more, but, I couldn’t find them and so I had to go cold turkey from them until after the new year which the doctor explains how dangerous that can be and should be avoided. I have noticed days of the feeling of pure rage, anything no matter how small or insignificant can make me blow up, but, I have noticed the bloated feeling has bee gradually reducing, going to the loo feels a lot better, much easier too. I just picked up a new lot of meds today and seriously rethinking taking them and waiting another couple weeks too see what happens. May even be a good idea to go back to beta blockers to slow my heart down and try to contain the panic attacks. I think I have covered everything I wanted to say here, if not then more will follow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.