Dislocation...

Posted , 11 users are following.

So many people in this forum have expressed fear of dislocating their new hip...This is my main fear as well, but I was wondering if there is anyone in this forum who has actually dislocated their new hip. How did it happen?

Many thanks for your answers 

Ella 

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,that is so true I was worried about it,but I have to say as the weeks go on and you follow the rules it does not seem a worry,you have to do something stupid to do it,you have enough to worry about so leave that one out Cheers Michael.
    • Posted

Hi Michael,

I have been following the rules and I have never felt any pain in my joint...I was just wondering what happened to other people who did dislocate.

All the best

Ella 

• Posted

Maybe belonging to this group keeps us on the straight abd narrow! A few panics but think no dislocations.

Mic

• Posted

Hi Mic,

Yes, discussing our fears with others does help...

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

I have to say I never had that fear, probably because when I asked if I could go back to horse riding next year my surgeon told me he had put in a larger joint and said "you won't dislocate that" probably physiological but from that moment never gave it a thought.
    • Posted

Hi Christine,

I wonder if one of the cuses of dislocation is the type of replacement...If they mismatch the joint etc. we will never know...It's good you can go back to horse riding...may be I can go back to kneeling and squatting to look after my garden!

All the best

Ella 

• Posted

I am sure you will Ella, I think we all try and do things too soon, probably because we have to. I am sure the weeds in my garden are growing quicker than anyone else's xx
    • Posted

Sadly, following an accident, I have riden to the highest level, I have been told that "If it is not Dobbin and plods like a mule", you must never ride a horse again.

Its not an easy conclusion and I have felt very down but accept that I am 62 and even though fit and very slim all my life that some of us are unable to do everything we did before.

Being active, good diet, healthy weight, not smoking, minimal alcohol is preported to be the way to keep heart and bones healthy!!!!

I was sent for a DXA scan after my THR & other multiple fractures and the result could not have been worse if I had been a 25 stone, vodka swilling, take-away eating, never exercising person.

My advise is live every day like it is your last. Enjoy your early morning rides out I so miss them. Best wishes, Dot.

• Posted

Hi Dot,

Loving life and activity like you do, I can't imagine the effect of this news on you. My commiserations xx

Maybe in the next year as you recover something else will grab your lovely enthusiasm. hope so!

mic

x

• Posted

Hi Ella -

They did scare the hell out of me at pre-op assessment and after - good lord !! thought that a sneeze would already dislocate the hip joint -

but then I watched the video and saw how the ball was placed in the socket and all the other things -  I guess they want us to be careful and mindful and they were succesfull in my book -

maybe it is more about the damages done to tendons, muscles etc that will be fragile for a while ....

I remember one or two fellow hippies on this forum who had a nasty fall and hip was still in place - 

Crappy weather here in Holland - 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

Yes, they really drum into you the fear of dislocation from day one...Maybe it's better to scare people sensless so they will follow the rules...frown

Rain here as well but it's so good for the garden!

Big hugs

Ella 

• Posted

One of my main fears especially in the early days. As has been said followingg the rules and doing the exercises helps, and I think the risk is around 2% in the early weeks. 

My my mum did have hers dislocate but then as I understand it she had been inadvertently doing one of the combined twists and leans repeatedly that put you at greatest risk. Leaning down the outside of her leg, twisting her legs to the side and also twisting at the waist, to do some weeding whilst sitting on a garden chair

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

I'll remember this : "Do not attempt weeding while sitting on garden chair, twisting leg, leaning down, turning at the waist" 

It really describe the movement very well, but for a keen gardener the sight of weeds is irresistible!smile

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Ella!

I'm sorry to tell you that I did in fact manage to dislocate my first new hip, about a week afterwards.  Self employed, I'd gone into work to sort some things out (felt great!) on my crutches.  Got suddenly tired, as you do, sat on my stool - which was a tall, swivel counter stool sad - and swivelled the joint out!

Most excruciating thing ever.

I had to wear a Newton brace for three months, 24/7 afterwards, and my recovery was protracted.

I binned the counter stool, and I NEVER sit on anything swivelly ever!

The good news is, I had the other hip done just four months ago.  I was a model patient this time, and my recovery has progressed nicely. 

• Posted

thank you Soosie .... eek good to know ...

happy to hear that you are doing great right now 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Soosiebiker,

Sorry to hear your news, which makes my realise the warnings were real and dislocation can happen, even if rarely.

hope both hips are healing well, and recovery continues well

Warmly

Mic

• Posted

Thanks mic smile

Forgot to say that the first hip was replaced ten years ago, and apart from clunking noise from it, all is well, no pain at all.

• Posted

Dear Soosiebiker,

I am sitting on a swivel chair at the moment, but I was on a immovable stool for the first seven weeks.

I cannot even think how painful it must be..

Maybe the secret is to move slowly and carefully and if it hursts,to  stop immediately.

Best wishes

Ella .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.