Dislocation...

Posted , 11 users are following.

So many people in this forum have expressed fear of dislocating their new hip...This is my main fear as well, but I was wondering if there is anyone in this forum who has actually dislocated their new hip. How did it happen?

Many thanks for your answers 

Ella 

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yup That was the thing I was most scared of too and agree its probably this forum that keeps us straight.

A lady who had her thr at the same time as my sister DID dislocate hers though in hospital a day or two post op by bending down to put on her shoes and I'm sure there was a post a few months ago where someone's mother had done it bending and twisting to cut her toenails.

I guess rules are there fir a reason!

• Posted

Hi Rosie,

I coudn't bend down at two days post op...I cannot even think about cutting my toe nails, and I am at week 12...If I try, everything hursts so much...The 90 degrees rule is a valid one, it makes a great deal of sense.

All the best to you

Ella 

• Posted

I too was petrified about dislocation. Even rang the hospital for reassurance, they said I would definitely know if it had dislocated, so felt better and religiously adhered to the rules, even sleeping on my back for the full 6 weeks, although it nearly killed me :-) ! 

Just follow the rules and all will be well.

Keep smiling,

Alison 

• Posted

Hi Alison,

I have been following all the rules religiously...I was just wondering how some people manage to dislocate.

All the best to you!

Ella 

• Posted

Ohhhh yes, trust me, you'd know if you'd dislocated it!
    • Posted

I am sure I would know..But I am trying to avoid any movement that might cause it..

Many thanks for your answers and best wishes 

Ella

• Posted

I was wondering if you would get any warning signs before you dislocate it - like a pain or something.  I also am concerned about dislocating my hip.  I am 2 mon. post op.  I asked doc. at 6 wk. & he said that I had no restrictions now.
    • Posted

Hi Catania,

I think dislocation would happen quickly, because of a sudden, harsh movement with no warning. At 6 weeks they lift the 90 degrees restriction but I woudn't do anything that is paiful or uncomfortable.

All the best

Ella 

• Posted

I was surprised when the doc. said that I had no restristions, I thought that putting your knee up & out like going to put on shoes or cutting toe nails & raising leg to back & up out was out for ever & I was surprised when he said that I can do what ever as long as it does not hurt.  I still don't  & can't put my foot on my knee to put on shoes or cut toe nails - no way can I even reach my foot! 

• Posted

Hi Catiana!

wonderful you can do what you like, officially! Though I'd probably advise not to bunjie jump for ayear or so!

Mic

x

• Posted

Thinking about dislocation. We are taught a range of exercises so that our muscles are strengthened and mobility and range of movement is improved. Therefore within those perimeters we should be OK. It seems to be twisting in one direction and bending in another that poses the greatest risk long term

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.