Do hemorrhoids cause blood clot when wiping?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've never had blood in my stool (that I know of) but today when I wiped I had ***bright red blood on the toilet paper and a small blood clot. Probably the size of the tip of a finger.***

Never in my life has this happened to me aside from a little blood from wiping too hard. It almost seemed as if the blood was coming right from my anus so I did a finger test with the tip of my finger and there was no blood on it. After a couple wipes, the blood was gone. I've used the bathroom once since and there was nothing there. My stool has been yellow lately but I have bad acid reflux issues so I chalked it up to that.

I've had hemorrhoids before in the past that hurt but I haven't felt any pain recently. I am overweight and I haven't been too active recently due to some inner ear disorders causing vertigo.

Could this be hemorrhoids? I called today to make an appointment with a gastro doctor but am curious for peace of mind in the meantime.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hayhue

Blood may be from hemorrhoids but seems like there's other things going on with your stomach. I would suggest you ask to see the emergency doctor or contact NHS direct.

Hope all is ok

• Posted

Thanks for replying! If I go to the ER they're just gonna make me wait until my doc appt. on the 10th to have a colonoscopy or endoscopy since it's not a lot of bleeding.

I've went twice since I posted this and there was no more blood. I contacted a nurse friend and she said it sounds like hemorrhoids. I had blood work done 2 weeks ago and my blood levels were ok so I don't think an ulcer is bleeding or anything. No intense stomach pain (other than some normal burning) or fever.

I am definitely getting the rest checked out. I was told I have GERD by an ENT so I'm going to see if that rings true at the gastro.

• Posted

Hope you feel more reassured by your nurse friend. I was thinking more about you telephoning the NHS Direct on 111 which is a free non-emergency helpline. This is the website (hope the link works) if not just google NHS direct: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx

Many times I've wiped & there's been blood which has been because of the hemorrhoid's, this started from a teenager when I didn't even know what hemorrhoids were.

Hope you're ok, take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.