Do I have Type one diabetes?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 16 (almost 17) year old male.

For the past few weeks (maybe about a month now) I've been feeling really, really tired. No matter how much sleep I got. Usually I can cope fine with a couple of hours but now, if I get 8-12 I'll be yawning by 9am and alseep by 10.

I'm also REALLY thirsty, and my lips are dried no matter how much I drink. I'm eating more than usual too, but the thirst is the one I really noticed.

About a week ago, and then tonight, I wet the bed. This has never happened before. I've been going to th toilet a lot anyway and went before I went to bed.

I looked on the NHS's website and it said type 1 diabetes. I looked at the symptoms and another was genital itching, which has also started to happen (though only maybe two or three times a day). Pretty convinced I have T1 but my Mum doesn't seem to believe me and keeps putting off booking a Doctor's appt. Could it just be stress? Haven't told her about the bedwetting yet (when the first one happened I hadn't started putting things together and had assumed it was unrelated).

Any help her would really he appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It could be either. You are old enough to make an appointment yourself so if you are worried and your Mum isn't do so.
  • Posted

Isaac you must make an appointment ASAP. You do not need your mum to make it for you. Your mum may be assuming you can't have diabetes because it is not in the family but some people develop it without there being a family history. The sooner you get tested the sooner you can start treatment if necessary and avoid serious complications. Let us know how you get on. Gill
    • Posted

Thanks. For the record, today I went to the toilet at about 4pm, 8pm, 3am (was woken up) and 6am, which is when it happened in bed. Have just went again (8am). Embarrassingly told my mum and she reluctantly agreed to take me (now) so I'll pass on what the Doc says.

Thanks again.

• Posted

I do recommend patient that you have a diabetic test done and to explain to your doctor everything that has been happening.
  • Posted

dear mike,

What Mr.Mark said was exactly correct. First you have to do simple blood test to know your blood glucose level. Even you can do it at your home using a glucometer. From your history its most likely Diabetes. To know Whether it's type 1 or 2, you need to do some special tests…like your fasting C peptide assay, GAD antibodies etc. Usually the first reaction of any mother when we detect diabetes in theirs kids is denial. It’s quite natural. Don’t worry…Do the blood tests as early as possible…

Dr.Suresh Kumar

Diabetologist, India

• Posted

Hi,

Dry mouth, thirst and peeing a lot are the symptoms of Diabetes.

You can get a fasting blood sugar test and also hba1C.

If you have diabetes, then you can get medicine or insulin, so you'll be healthy before it damages your body.

Maybe you dont have diabetes, who knows.

But please, just make the tests and let me know. Stay positive!

Hope you dont have diabetes, but if you have i am here to help as muh as i can.

Good luck!

( type 1 diabetic, since march 2014)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.