Doctor says Ive got IBS but Im not convinced.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

After having awful diarrhea while taking antibiotics 3 months ago, I still have loose poops maybe once or twice a day.

Ive been tested for CDiff and bacteria - all negative.

I had a Calprotecin test and it came back at 35, so my GP has diagnosed me with IBS.

Im 43 and feel Im a little to old to have IBS.

All sorts of bad thoughts are going through my head and Ive become totally obsessed with the toilet!

No matter what time I get up, whether it be around 730 for the school run or if I have a lie in at the weekend and get up at 10, after about an hour I need the toilet.  I can almost feel my bowel wake up soon after I do!

My GP has been very kind to me and has referred me to the gastro department but this could take weeks.  My anxiety is sky high and is affected my family and me greatly.

I did have a heart test a couple of months ago and the medicine they gave me, gave me watery diarrhea.  I also find that alcohol goves me looser poops now too.

Can anyone advise?

Lizzie x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You are definitely NOT too old to go down the IBS route and from what I have read in here it dab happen at any age as read accounts from school girls to a 70 year old who had a recent diagnosis.

I think many in here know that obsessive feeling. I recently had a new job but felt the 15 mile journey was too far and too stressful so I am not there anymore.

I have had to give up alcohol despite being a very big red wine enthusiast and also miss my evening single malt. On the plus side I have been ill on fewer occasions so it is a trade off.

• Posted

You're definitely not too old. Apparantly it is the most common cause of bowel problem in over 50 year olds. Have you tried the Low FODMAP diet?

Jan

• Posted

I'm 43 and was diagnosed with IBS last year.  It took 3 and a half months and eight doctors to identify it.  I went through terrible anxiety and despair. All my tests were negative.  My symptoms are stomach pain, constipation and on off nausea.  I also had a bout of loose stools. I find Buscopan, painkillers, and milk help.  Stress triggered my IBS.  If all your tests are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.
  • Posted

From what I understand IBS can happen anytime from your 20s up to your 50s but I may be wrong.

Alcohol helped me go at one point and definitely made my stool loose so Idk but that might be normal.

If you dont want to wait a very long time, tell your doctor that or search for a gastro who takes your insurance. That's what I had to do because my doc didn't refer me at all.

IBS is still very very likely the cause here.

• Posted

Hi

I greatly appreciate everyone's response.

Ive decided to go and see a gastro doctor privately as I cannot live like this anymore.  It's ruining my life and in turn, my family's life too.

It will probably cost about £2,000 but it's a necessity for my mental health.

I just wish, in hindsight, I had private medical insurance.

x

• Posted

Hello,

Just thought Id update you lovely people.

I paid for a private colonoscopy today and it was fine!  I dont know what the fuss is about.

The dc foud a polyps and removed them.

He said I do have IBS.

Im so glad I had this test, especially having the polyps removed.

Im hopeing my symptoms diminish slightly now that I know I dont have bowel cancer.  The more i read about bowel cancer, the more my body seemed to sympathise with the symptoms.

x

• Posted

This is great news; hopefully now you have a diagnosis your symptoms will improve and you will feel less anxious.
    • Posted

That explains the sedation as I have never had that on the NHS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.