Does anyone else have low B12 when your not anaemic?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've started a course of 5 x B12 injections due to a low blood count. I'm not anaemic and my stomach test was showing normal. Also does anyone else feel sick for a short time after the injection and have a funny headache?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon, sometimes you can get symptoms when you first start on replacement B12 injections. This is down to your body suddenly getting an influx of B12, and having to begin using it again. If your levels were very low before the injections began, then there is more of an adjustment for your body to make. Hopefully things will settle down and you will begin to feel the benefit of the replacement B12.  Best wishes Marion
  • Posted

Thank you, for making me feel a little better.  I have been looking at some of the others who are in this forum and a lot of symptoms are talked about that I have and now realise could have been to do with this.  I have had trouble remembering things and felt stupid when doing a public talk, I gave out the date as 26 September knowing full well it was 26 December, I knew I had done it and went to correct myself but still gave out the 26 September.  It does make you feel you are not going silly when you share symptoms so hopefully I will be getting myself together when it all kicks in properly.
    • Posted

Hi again Sharon, yes it's quite normal for us to feel as though we are "losing the plot"! I'd begun to think I had the start of dementia, plus the physical problems with pins and needles, walking into the walls if I got up to visit the bathroom in the night. Scary stuff! I'm now just over a year since first being diagnosed, and things are much better. I still would like my regular injections to be more frequent than three monthly. I have bought a sublingual spray, and use that to top up my levels during that third month. Obviously you can't do that if your doc is sending you for further blood testing, which will be the case at the start. Do wish you well. Marion
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

Do you mind telling me what your b12 blood count was before the injections? Also have you started to notice the benefits of the injections straight away or does it take time?

I have a low b12 at 167 but I am not being treated for it and my symptoms are getting worse, I am now having to pay a private GP for a second opinion.

I hope you feel better soon,

Sam.

• Posted

Hi Samantha.  I wasn't told my levels.  I was only found out the week before last from a routine blood test so have to add how good my doctors are to sort it immediately, they put me straight on B12 injections so I take it from the rapid response that its low.  I've had 2 so far but am away running a tour so have to have 3 next week.  I can't say I've noticed anything yet, but on reading some of the symptoms other have do recognise them in what I thought was the onset of Alzheimer's.  My dad bless him had that in his later life.  I do occasionally have a fuzzy head, and headaches, cold hands and numbness that worried me but thought it was down to me doing to much and tiredness.  I also dropped things and walked in walls for no reason, in fact I walked into a door on Saturday, I bounced well but have a cracking bump on my head.  I will ask them next week what my level was and tell you when I really start to notice any changes.  I know the phial of B12 is a big one so fingers crossed it helps sort me out.  My son has to have them to and he said he notices fairly quickly how much better he is feeling.  

I do hope you get sorted and soon, take care for now, Sharon.

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Thank you for your reply.

I do hope you feel better soon!

You sound like you have a good GP there... I have been forced to pay private as I am unhappy with the lack of ignorance to my symptoms. I had my first shot today and have been told I have to wait another 4 weeks until another shot? I hope I notice some difference as its really affecting my life at the moment not having energy to do anything. I am 25 and I feel like I'm falling apart.

Take care,

Samantha x

• Posted

Well I've had my 3rd injection today, I asked what my blood count was and it was 157.  No wonder I was having fuzzy heads.  I have to say I do feel brighter and I've walked a lot further today without feeling aches in my legs.  I hope you get sorted soon.
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

I  also have a B12 deficiency but was not diagnosed with anemia. I have to say this left me a little confused, I havent had many answers into what might be causing this. I was disagnosed about 2.5 years ago during a routine blood test for a painful wrist, my levels were 142 and dropped to 110 in a follow up blood test. After the initial booster injections, i had an awful headache, but this passed and now the injections make me feel like a 'normal 25 year old'. Before my B12 injections if i wasn't at work, i would be sleeping. I didn't want to go out in case I felt too tired. I now don't need to nap or sleep straight after work and have a lot more energy. I would like the jabs more often than every 3 months, but I am working on that with my GP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.