does episcleritis usually develop into scleritis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

did it for you? just scared of going blind... first flare up was just in my right eye, now its in both, a month after the first ever flare up ended. the pain is extremely minimal but i just dont want it to get any worse or develop into scleritis. its scaring the s**t out of me. should I be worried about it developing into scleritis?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Mine did !! I started out with   episcleritis , then mine turned into scleritis. I started out with one flare and did not have another till a year later, that is  when i was diagnosed with scleritis, I have not lost my eye sight, in fact my eyesight hasn't changed much and I am   64 years old. The pain with scleritis is severe, but i have managed to keep the pain under control with advil every 6 hours. I have had scleritis 16 years, If you are on Facebook, there is a private group called "episcleritis is a total b***h". I would join that if I were you, they do not give medical advice, but the members  talk about how they are dealing, and what doesn't work for them. I belong to the group too. I hope yours does NOT develop into scleritis. But should it, please join the facebook page "Scleritis", again they do not give medical advice but also say how they are coping and what meds are working, and unfortunately not working. I will keep you in my prayers. To put your mind at ease, I've never ran across anyone losing their sight, I can understand your fear, Join that group I was telling you about...Good Luck!!

• Posted

Hi Tony- 

So sorry you have had to join this little club of ours. My case has always only been Scleritis in one eye. It was brutal for the first year or so, then I found a great rheumologist and a combination of drugs that, for the most part keep it under control. I take 7 mg of prednisone, methotrexate and Humira. Unfortunately every time I try to ween off of the prednisone I go into a flare. So, much to my dismay, I take them faithfully. I too have never heard of anyone losing an eye. Modern medicine is very helpful and they are constantly working on new meds to keep us going incase our current meds stop working. Usually there is an underlying issue that hasn’t presented itself.  Mine is Crohns. If they find your underlying issue it may help them find the best “cocktail” to keep you in remission. Best wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.