Does OCD come back?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi I'm 13 years old and ever since I was younger I experienced OCD symptoms such as performing rituals and thinking I could kill my family just by giving them something I touched. I also now have thoughts of my family members dying which feel so real that I start crying.

However, I've never actually gone to see a psychiatrist and I've never told my parents before which means I've never been diagonised.

Either way, I've been experiencing these horrible symptoms of OCD until last year but now they're nearly gone and I'm worried that it'll come back.

Can OCD come back? And if it does, how?

( I also posted another discussion regarding my "what I think" are OCD symptoms in detail )

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'll try and save you're life here because this stuff ruined me. Just incase it ever comes back.

I want you to try and not think of a pink elephant, you obviously though of it right? You need to think of small things for example: Try saying in your head if I touch this door nob I'll get a cold and do not touch the door nob. You have to start small and get bigger if these things come back. You need to challenge these thoughts and make an example in your brain for it react to a silly idea.

These challenges will keep the O.C.D ritualistic stuff away. But expect if you get into a high level of stress and anxiety O.C.D may resurface as a way for you to control your life again. Using small exposer therapy overtime will cause less relasp and more success. I know it's scary at first but it's probably to attempt in a ritual and have nothing happen.

Avoid religion or odd falsities at all costs. You need to be withing logical thinking with science and reality. I know you want to believe in something good or other worldly figure but trust me mental health and religion do not mix this goes hand and hand with drugs.

P.S. My mistake was medication when I was 13, do not let them put you on it. Too much weight gain and it does not usually help with anything. Please take every I say with a man who suffers 100% of regret because the pychatrists and doctors could not handle the situation properly. Don't let it ruin you, follow these steps when you're into your twenties and you'll be fine. 

• Posted

Thank you for the help!

Also, I may sound a little rude to ask another question but, do you have any examples of "high levels of stress and anxiety" which could possibly resurface the OCD? I've been trying to figure out what has been triggering me into performing rituals and thinking of negative and unsettling thoughts but I've never really been able to pin point the exact reason why. (I feel like it can be related to Christianity because I used to be a strong believer back when my rituals started but I'm not really sure how the unsettling thoughts came in)

• Posted

High levels of stress such as a broken a relationship, work, family and school can easily make these things resurface over-time. Your brain can recondition itself to say 'I need things to get better' and because of the anxiety that overflows a solution will come into play where you want control back and this links back in with O.C.D. You're still young so it's easy enough for you to follow this plan and you'll be absolutely fine when you're twenty.

However signs of resurfing is looks like you're family isn't working so you might start using your rituals again to fix the family because you're at a lost of what to do. You may do rituals on your own to fix these things or they may just slip back into your mind in order to prevent these bad experiences from happpening, you may think it's a work of magic. Mind you this is NOT and I repeat not what happens in reality. All is happening is you're interpreting a sign that isn't there. It's the same when a caveman looks up into the clouds, does a dance and lightning strikes and he calls it the "lightning dance" because of a coincidence.

Again, it may not resurf it at all if you get under control right now by following the tips I told you:

1: Challenge your thoughts. <- Highly important.

2: Clear your mind of religions and false realities. < Higly important. 

3. Stay away from drugs. 

I'm pretty sure if you hit twenty and follow these guidelines and also discuss it with somebody is a therapist (not a pychatrist) who is willing to listen to you, I think you will be able to never have this problem again. The brain is a muscle that needs to be worked on, I hope things look better in the in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.