Does pain at night go away?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with frozen shoulder. It's been going on for a few months now. At the moment is more or less OK during the day. My movement range is not bad and I'm seeing the physio once a week. Sessions are tough and so are exercises at home, but it's all bearable.

The worst are nights though. I wake up a few times (6 or more) every night. Quite often just applying heat makes it better. Sometimes is the arm and sometimes the pain radiates to the back. However, some nights are pure hell. No matter the position (to sleep sitting down sometimes help), I just get very little sleep.

I'm due to see the consultant on Monday. I'm considering surgery, but at the moment I'm 50%. Family is not very keen.

My main question is... once you get to phase 2 (which might be my case), do nights improve or is it going to be like this for a few months?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best,

Sergio

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hey Sergio, sorry to hear you're suffering with a FS, it's hell and unless you've had one, nobody truly understands that ache and intensity of pain and yes the nights are hell.

I am a couple of months in to my 2nd FS. The good news, the pain will subside. The bad news, it takes time!

Push through with the exercises, yeah it's agony, but it gets easier. Your ROM will improve, it just all takes time.

Are you taking anything for the pain?

Co-codamol and Naproxen or Ibuprofen at bed time will help.

Hang in there. Keep it moving.

A fellow sufferer Colin will be along soon, I have no doubt.

• Edited

i really feel for you, that stage of FS when the pain is so bad at night is horrific.i remember at one point only getting a couple of hours sleep at night.i will say the intense pain does pass, hard to say how long it will last for you cos its different for everyone. have you tried any steroid injections yet?.they work really well for some people, unfortunately not for me. surgery is a very big step and I know others here would advise against it, but the decision is yours, just make sure you do your research.

• Edited

This is such a lovely support group, I really appreciate your comments, Looby and Piper.

I was prescribed Naproxen 250 mg for the pain, but I don't notice any difference, so I stopped taking it. I just take Ibuprofen 400 mg when the pain is unbearable at night. I had one steroid injection, but it really didn't make a difference. The consultant said is not worth trying as it's unlikely to work if it doesn't work the first time. It was administered using ultrasound. I'm also going to try using some cannabis before bed, it might help.

I'll update once we talk to the consultant this week. Timing is critical re surgery as we have a trip to Madagascar planned for mid-July. I might just see how it evolves and maybe do it after the trip if things haven't changed substantially. I did my research and, apart from the general anaesthesia which is a big deal indeed, I don't think is a big operation.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks once more, my fellow sufferers!

Best,

Sergio

• Posted

Hey Piper, long time no speak! which can only be a good thing in view of the circumstances that brought us together.

Sergio, have you tried co-codamol at bed time? They really help me on the bad nights.

Try and exercise the shoulder as much as you possibly can. I know the pain is excruciating, it has literally brought me to my knees before now, but it helps get past that painful stage.

Stick with us here in the support group, there's a lot of experienced sufferers that will weigh in when they see your post.

• Posted

Hi Looby, my FS is nearing the end....i hope but middle age has caught up with and I now seem to have a new ailment every week, loads of consultant appointments lined up ,not much fun.How about you?

• Posted

hi piper and michelle

how are ya both.

did try for a different job as a surveyor last week, would ya believe it, was given to a mate up in the Ely branch,

been really bad past month, been put on zapain 500/30, up to 8 per day. have re injured the shoulder post op.

yup it sucks, not really slept again for 3 weeks. and yes its due to lifting post op.

had a experimental injection at the shoulder hospital on may 16th its failed already. will be looking at another surgery around september time. acromium and clavicle issues.

the ache is so so so deep. note to sergio be wise on your path and choice. i now have the consultant and surgeon on speed dial !!!,

nice to see you two are ok

colin xxx

• Posted

sergio

allow a good 8 weeks to recover from surgery, you will be prone to dislocation post op as if it is ACR, they technically disconnect the shoulder.

week two post op a wasp landed on me operated arm and i moved quick ( remember wasp gate ) michelle / piper.

i tore the muscles and popped the shoulder blade out.

you will be vulnerable for a while

colin

• Posted

hi sergio

yup crap isn't it. the night time is the worst. been there done that .

have you exhausted all your options, have you tried hydrodilatation. mass volume injection into the joint . for me it helped for about 5 months.

yes the night ache crept back and kept biting at me. but it gave me time to try and beat this.

surgery is a big ask, please try all that is out there. it can open Pandora's box.

i have suffered now for 55 months with a shoulder injury and had most things done. if you have any questions i will do me best, its a personal opinion of my path taken.

good luck and yes the birds start in the morning around 4AM lol.

colin

• Edited

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your comments. I've read carefully all your posts... your situation is dreadful 😦.

I saw the consultant yesterday. ROM is worse... I thought it was much better, but not in the right direction. Surgery is clearly the best option right now, having exhausted all the other possibilities. I'll probably do it in August.

He told me physio sessions and home exercises are not helping and probably should stop altogether as they are causing secondary pain. I'm forcing too much other muscles. So hopefully that will help with nights... Last one was the worst one so far 😦. I'm not sure if is due to the manipulation yesterday (which was minimal), the exercises, or just because I shouldn't have gone to the gym (I don't do anything causing pain in the shoulder, but probably should stop altogether).

Well, at some point I guess I'll hit bottom.

Thank you once more for the support. I'll keep you posted.

Best,

Sergio

• Edited

afternoon sergio

first off thanks for the reply as with looby and piper it means a lot.

us three musketeers have been chatting for ages. we needed the forth musketeer lol.

i read your family are 50/50 split on the operation. great you are all on the same page here, and chatting about it. that helps, never keep it in and tell every one when you have a bad day ( kept that polite).

this is so personal and so brutal and the sleep deprivation is torture. its good to talk,

please please please take care of the other shoulder, it is taking up all the work, give it some tlc . or like me it will go bi lateral both at the same time . then you have to be hung by your ankles to go to bed and with no sleep turn into a vampire walking the house of a night,

is this type 1 or type 2 FS. 1 being out the blue and 2 injury related, are you diabetic ( that starts it off sometimes.

the consultant said physio is no good. try just working all the muscle groups around the shoulder they all go into spasm as well.

colin

• Edited

hey folks.

I'm just back from seeing the physio for my 1st steroid injection in to my 2nd FS.

My 1st was my dominant arm, which despite some crunching and grinding is now much better than it was when it started almost 2 years ago. ROM still not what it used to be.

My 2nd shoulder started to hurt around 3 months ago and is getting progressively worse.

Keeping everything crossed for a result from this injection although experience with my first one tells me not to expect too much.

I'm still pushing on with the exercise as this is what got me through last time.

It's a grim situation to be in.

Like Colin (wasp gate), today I reacted to something that was knocked over and it jarred the shoulder as I instinctively reached out to save it.

Athens pain is like nothing else, and nobody understands unless they've been a FS sufferer themselves.

Sorry we find ourselves back here after some respite but good to be in touch and have each others support 🙏💪

• Edited

michelle

so you joined the double club, good on ya. would hate for you to feel left out lol,

i hope this jab works this time around. take it easy. their is me preaching take it easy. the world worst offender.

if you read this sergio, take note it comes back and takes another bite out of your will power.

stay strong M. you have done it once you can do it again. knowing the enemy make it easier to defeat it.

i am just a glutton for punishment, and miss me summer days in the hot tub doing my post op recovery in the sunshine..

i have had to start re sport strapping the shoulder post physio so i hope if i can get out side they will be award winning tan lines.

for me this time the injury done post op ( lifting heavy loads ). the ache is so dense and non stop. by friday i am drained and cannot string a sentence together.

so touch wood bye bye FS lol

your fellow amigo

colin

• Edited

hey @colin1964 - yeah i'm not as overwhelmed with it 2nd time around as I know with time the pain will ease. It's just the in-between stages and yeah they're painful, but we know how this story plays out don't we!

I would never go down the surgery route, at least not with how my shoulders are currently as I can manage day to day, albeit, some tasks with difficulty.

We're like old veteran's here aren't we. Good that we can support each other simply by sharing in each others pain and misery.

The saving grace for me is, I know it gets better. I know it hasn't been so for you, but it seems yours is exacerbated by your job?

Anyhow, here for all you fellow sufferers 💪💟

• Posted

michelle

day 25 since the last injection. it was an experimental jab. he had three things in vials.

this was a lets try this and if it dont work we will probably have to go in for another operation.

today i have been in pieces. worst ache i have had ever. to a point of calling the sport injury clinic on the way home and getting heavily strapped. just took 1000/60 tabs and have it plugged into the ice machine.

had a heart to heart with lisa. looking more like a sept operation. gutted !!!!. disappinted. angry. shattered.

just about to update the east of england boss to up date him. getting so close to taking my first day off ( not recovery post op days ).

got to find out whats gone wrong with AC joint now. it just will not play fair. did all post operation. played by the rules. was a good boy. sat and recovered.

not looking forward to tonight

sorry me me me my shoulder my shoulder. just really peed off this evening. its relentless dead ache all positions all the time

c

thanks thats better

• Posted

I hear you Colin. No need to apologise for being fed up and in pain.

Good luck tonight, let us know how you get on.

• Posted

hi michelle

that was a bad day. had two hours sleep.

had to vent off. got it double taped. its holding it in place for now.

its just relentless day and night even with 1000/60. thank god its friday

how is your jab going any Improvement with your shoulder.

colin

• Posted

so sorry to read how much you are struggling colin, you deserve a break so badly, sorry I haven't got a magic wand for you to get rid of pain for you

• Edited

bottle of prosecco may do the trick lol

have a sunny week end.

C

• Posted

i hadn't picked you as a prossecco kinda guy!- Enjoy Colin

• Edited

lol

use to work for a refrigeration company. in Belluno Italy .

wind and prossecco delivered each week by the crate. wine was £1 a bottle. prosecco was £2.50 for the mionetto best one.

i went to the dark side, hic hic

got some cracking white lines due to the sport tape. thank god its holding it in place. that was one ugly week of ache again.

my boss handed his notice in friday. i wrote an email requesting that i be seconded to his job for 6 months !!!.

will wait and see what is said. i can see myself back under the knife in september

colin

• Edited

wine as well

yes the italians are full of hot air as well lol

• Posted

wow would love to be able to buy wine for that price now!

hope you get your bosses job, especially if it means no more heavy lifting.

maybe a miracle will happen before Sept so you won't need surgery, fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.