Does pain at night go away?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with frozen shoulder. It's been going on for a few months now. At the moment is more or less OK during the day. My movement range is not bad and I'm seeing the physio once a week. Sessions are tough and so are exercises at home, but it's all bearable.

The worst are nights though. I wake up a few times (6 or more) every night. Quite often just applying heat makes it better. Sometimes is the arm and sometimes the pain radiates to the back. However, some nights are pure hell. No matter the position (to sleep sitting down sometimes help), I just get very little sleep.

I'm due to see the consultant on Monday. I'm considering surgery, but at the moment I'm 50%. Family is not very keen.

My main question is... once you get to phase 2 (which might be my case), do nights improve or is it going to be like this for a few months?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best,

Sergio

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello Sergio and everyone,

Yes, I am in the terrible night club, too. I am also in the 2nd shoulder club, too. I was so happy to be done with my left shoulder about 5 years ago. I went to the doctor last September when there was only one little spot on my shoulder hurting and kind of like bicep tendonitis....I tried to prevent frozen shoulder from happening but no luck.

I think the nights are worse than the days. The MRI looked like I had a labrum tear so 2 weeks ago, the dr. went in and scraped away bad tissue and shaved a little bit of a bone. Wasn't too bad inside and I didn't have a repair done...but now I am back to stretching at the physical therapists. I have a chair this time that raises my arm for 3 hours a day.

Has anyone tried infrared therapy. When is is so painful, I am willing to try anything.

The one hope I have is that I don't read about it coming back to a shoulder too often....although I know it can.

I can't figure out where to put my pillows in bed. It probably hurts less when I sleep in the recliner, but I'd rather sleep in my bed.

I remember how happy I was when my first shoulder stopped hurting.

It will get better...and we'll get good sleep.....sometime...

• Edited

so sorry to hear that you are on your 2nd FS.there really is no other pain like it, especially in the early days at night.i know what you mean about pillows,just propping them in as many places as possible so that you try & stay still.hope you get some relief soon so you can sleep as sleep deprivation really is beyond exhausting

• Edited

Hi Angela

welcome to the 2nd frozen shoulder club. we are a small select group of good people who for some reason deserve hell, lol.

so the first question is what time do the birds sing while you are still laid there suffering .

ya just can't stop a good thing happening to you . been there tried it. still bit me in the bottom.

so glad i can see some humour in your message. seeing the bright side for us is such a long way a way. such a personal un seen fight. and its more than 12 rounds.

and to boot you had the labrum done as well. you said you were in the chair for three hours a day is that a passive motion machine ??.

you have been done it and won. round two you know your foe. stay strong and positive. focus on the good days. keep a video diary ( ooo such an old comment). record it on the blooming phone.

you will be surprise how much you improve over time. and yer its hard and long path.

ho by the way 3.47am ( first bird ) mr blackbird.

colin

• Posted

Hi Angela (and the Usual Suspects, better known to me as Colin and Piper)

I'm a few months into my 2nd FS, like everyone else here, I feel your pain, discomfort and sleepless nights, not to mention the sheer frustration from lack of ROM.

I remember when my 1st one froze up in Oct 21. I was on holiday in Northumberland with my hubby and was putting my bra on one morning and the muscle just went into spasm and the shoulder locked.

The first 4/5/6 months were hell on earth. As Colin says its a fight nobody understands (even our loved ones)

I struggled to blow dry my hair, dressing was torturous and night times just filled me with dread.

I had 2 steroid injections, they didn't do a lot, or so I thought, but when I look back now, my expectation of the injection was so high.

I'm now just over a week with the 1st steroid in the 2nd shoulder and whilst I would hate to jinx it, the pain has abated and night times are easier.

My 1st FS, dominat arm, apart from serious ceunching and grinding is back to around 90% ROM and it doesn't hurt.

Left one, newly frozen is OK going forward but man when I try to go behind my back, even a fraction, do I know about it. The pain is crippling.

I am going with my previous experience and remain optimistic. I know it will get better, I know how bad it can get and I honestly don't feel like its as bad this time round.

I exercise both arms each day, shoulder presses, tension band, crawling up the wall to stretch the shoulder joint. It all takes a lot of effort and is by no means easy but I know it works, or at least it does for me.

Keep pushing though. Drop into this group for support and shared experiences.

We're all in this lousy club together 💪💟

• Edited

michelle

the injection has taken this time has it. thank god something has worked for you and not against you for a change.

suspect number 1

• Posted

update from my really grumpy week ( two weeks ago ).

had the shoulder double taped tight as hell. rock tape at 75% stretch .

it has stopped the ache.thank god and this week i managed two nights in a row sleeping kind of.

down side apart from award winning tan lines. its pulled me skin off in places. welts everywhere . just can win.

stay positive all of you and strong as you know it aches twice as bad for us men lol. its man ache 

c

• Edited

I just found this forum. I am in the midst of trying to get diagnosed with what has been happening to me. I started with lower back pain out the blue in May which went away as fast as it came by July. THen a week or so later started noticing when I made the slightest movement with even a finger I got a knee jerk sharp pain in upper arm and shoulder and it was affecting both arms. It progressively worsened. During the day I an fine if I take ibuprofen but in the last week nothing helps at night. Sleeping with a pillow across my chest resting arms on it helps but I wake in such pain I actually have dreams my arms are stuck in something and I wake up unable to even move. Cant use my arms to try and sit up or readjust. Each night it gets worse and until I found this forum I thought I had cancer or something and it has been scaring me. Had xrays last Friday on spine and arms and shoulders. Results are not back and have ultra sound next week.. Just curious, how long have your night times been going on? I am just frightened at the moment and wondering what to expect. I am 62. Have never had anything like this. Family don't understand either.

• Posted

Hi Jackie

welcome to our little corner of ache.

thanks for popping by after reading all our woes. thought that may have frightened you off lol.

reading your post it seems you would like a club membership badge. sorry i still have to see the lighter side of this horrid thing to have. if it is and what you are saying it seem more like FS.

but it really needs diagnosing properly. i really hope you do not have it. but its a long aching journey that lays ahead.

you can tell straight away with an MRI as the measure the capsule flap at the bottom of the joint for thickness. mine still shows 4 years later on an MRI.

the girls will pop along soon and comment " piper, looby and barb". it may be due to female things as you lot get it more than men.

i had an excuse as it was an injury that froze me up and i am still paying for it now.

this just can happen out the blue for no reason. please keep a positive out look as i do jokingly, or it will bring you down.

talk to tour family as it a quiet nasty lonely thing to have.

and yes i still have to support with a pillow as well due to injury

colin

• Edited

the night time ache really is the worst but it doesn't last forever, you do come out the other side but my sleepless painful nights did go on for a good few months.i tried to prop pillows all around me so that moving was minimal, I used a mixture of heat and cold compresses, various difene gels, volterol,I found uddermint the best as it feels hot and cold at the same time.i found no one except other FS sufferers could actually understand the excruciating pain at night, it's so hard to explain how the pain level can go up so high at night.let us know how you get on with your test results.

• Edited

well put piper. good description of hell lol.

left work yesterday if things don't pan out i will be back to work next year now .

got a week with lisa ( just home from buck house ) no charlie or camilla. need brownie points as i am going to be so grumpy to start with.

9 days to go till the op. cant wait to be pain free for a while . and i am going to play this so safe now. would trade loss of movement against this hurt still.

c

• Posted

glad you have finished up with that job it was not doing you any favours healing wise.

you are like a child counting down till Santa's visit!!... I have everything crossed for you that it's a text book surgery and that your recovery goes smoothly 🙏

• Edited

mmmm

i am actually. all be it this one really bothers me recovery wise. i am going to hurt badly for about 4 weeks. but i think we all know about ache and pain by now.

operation wise does not bother me. going to the dentist Wednesday i hate lol.

its a real strange feeling saying see ya next year. knowing i may not go back due to the tutor job. they are calling back monday as i have to do the petals course to start ( on line training ).

just counting down the days op number three last chance. and if anyone else reads this . yup take note of what can happen post op..

keep you up dated

c

• Edited

morning piper.

checked in to hospital 7am

went to surgery at 8am

woke up at 11am

out and away 1pm . good with recovery

home at 2.52pm

laying here can start to use the phone as they nerve blocked the shoulder and arm. its just come back to life.

that was a slick efficient operation. all good. in me immobiliser for a few weeks for protection only.

weirdest part was when i got home there was still lots of fluid in the joint and as i walked it was sloshing around. you could here it. what a strange feeling.

them all night its popping and moving around.

all good and its got to be the last time.

THE BEST BIT WAS NOT HAVING THAT ACHE DUE TO THE BLOCK

colin

• Posted

thanks for the update.i hope that the sloshing noise has stopped by now and that you are managing to sleep OK. are the stitches dissolvable or do you have to go back to get them taken out?.Do you have follow up with surgeon at all or is that the end of it all now? 🙏

• Edited

hi piper

well with the pain medication i slept for 12 hours !!!!!!.

3 holes i think under the dressing. still sloshing but not as bad.

just superglue over the ports and steri strips. only because i leaked while waking up and had to be re dressed.

usually have a nappy taped over your shoulder to catch the leaks.

i actually got to walk into the operating room. so cool and hi tec. i was in the beach chair again so a very sore throat.

3 follow ups with surgeon and rehab starts next week to get motion ( or i may get frozen shoulder ) 藍藍藍.

we all know about that dont we lol . hey come full circle. all good i know the protocol for recovery and will start when the pain slows down

how is it across the sea, hows piper doing.

colin shoulder warrior

• Edited

Glad to hear you got such a good nights sleep.sounds like you have a good team behind you and they are on top of your plan.Hope rehab goes to plan and seriously surely you couldn't be so unlucky as to get another FS.

All ok my end, same auld.....just working away

• Edited

Hi Piper

dressings all removed. OMG such a good job done. he went through the old scars. they have healed so well on day 9.

just got a multi colour shoulder appearing lol. its still swollen and very delicate but there is a spark back in me once again.

all going good

colin

• Edited

Hi P

went to hospital rehab this morning. first time " 14 days post op".

he has done such a good job. all the bruising for what little i had has gone and the arthroscopic incisions have gone as well !!.

i did the mandatory moves as we all have to do i have gained back full motion with zero pain and zero ache.

even he was surprised. very surprised its a kind of 0.01% to walk away so soon with no after problems.

he signed me off there and then as mended ( can email any time for Advise). its so weird no to be in ache / pain i had forgotten what its like to be nearly normal. not counting me chickens too soon.

seeing the surgeon tuesday night. first follow up of three. hope he will give the green light.

how are you doing. steady and progressing i hope.

"two shoulders" colin lol

• Posted

colin it really is giving me joy reading your positive updates, so delighted for you after your very long and winding road to get to this stage.

I'm getting over a poxy lurgy that floored me for a week, constant headache and sore bones with it....but I'm starting to come out the other side!

• Edited

Hi Piper

i hope you have recovered from the lurgy now.

have been chatting to michelle and updated her this week.

went for me first post op follow up thursday. 6 hour round trip on the M25. appointment was at 6.30pm. a right rush hour trip.

he was amazed at the speed of recovery and kept asking me to re do the test. mainly stretches . then he did them with provocation he tried to hurt it under stress. still no pain.

he just stood there laughing in amazement to himself . i should not be able to lift above shoulder height at this point. about blooming time.

he still have me advisories and warnings because it doesnt hurt means it still has to heal for another 8 weeks inside. but i have been cleared to return to work as a supervisor in 9 days time.

colin

• Edited

Hi Piper

Times up, back to work tomorrow, 5 weeks post op, this operation was a game changer !!!!.

i have had issues in the operated area since i injured my shoulder way back in 2018/19.

after each operation they were still present. they have now gone. no swollen muscle no constant ache. i am nearly normal again

back tomoz as a supervisor. just hope i do not re injure . no more heavy work now.

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.