Dosage

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can someone advise me pls ?

I was taking bisoprolol 1.25 once a day for a year. Even at that low dosage it was making me breathless so I decided to come down off it and stop. I've been off it two weeks now and have been fine until yesterday. I had my usual thumps that went on more than 5 seconds which triggers a faint feeling and when my heart starts beating ok again I'm really dizzy for about 10 seconds afterwards. I was wondering if it would be OK to take the 1.25mg every other day. So that its in my system but hopefully won't make me so short of breath. I know I should be asking my GP this but just wondered if anyone had any info or had tried this before. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim,

it really is your best bet to speak to your GP he/she may be able to put you on something else, I have been on the infamous Bisoprolol (2.5) for almost 3 years and it still makes me feel lousy however as it keeps my BP at a good level I am perservering with it, I did ask my GP if I could take every other day just like you but she said that it needs to be 24 hourly in order to be in your system properly, your GP may have different views though.

Good luck

Phoebe.

• Posted

My go changed my bisoprolol to atenlol. I was prescribed bisoprolol for 5 years for a fib. I had total faith in my go, who when I was at his surgery did not answer my concerns . I had side effects ...too many to list here, but I thought it was the a fib causing all of them. After several visits to my surgery ,eventually a newly appointed Gp, he changed my beta blocker to atenlol. However,he left the practice: another go allowed me to reduce the atenolol.

after a lot of research and reading posts here,I decided to cut out the beta blocker completely. 

I had awful withdrawal symptoms for months...dizzy,more palps but not everyday. I've stuck with it. I have another new gp in the practice. She knows that I've stopped the med completely and was ok with MY decision!

the side effects have gone...it's now 10 months since I stopped.

I'm not suggesting that you do the same...read the post from Simon.on bisoprolol buddies. He explains it so much better than me. He also recommends reading up Dr johns and legacy P1 throws down the gauntlet. I hope I've remembered this correctly. Simon explains what happens when you stop taking beta blockers. Makes sense. 

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi I have benn on bisaprolol 4 months now ,like you had some bad days taking 2.5 once a day I was a heavy tea drinker and noticed every time I had a cupa bad palpitations so process of elimination as I have been doing since my pe and to my surprise cut out the tea changed my time for taking it so as I could have my tea with breakfast no more palpitations or fainting so may I suggest you check your regime and hope you find  a way to suit you stay well.m
  • Posted

That is a low dose. Best to consult your GP as an alternative beta blocker may work better. Hopefully that is possible because another option could possibly be worse.

Unfortunately that is the reality of these drugs.

• Posted

i cant drink caffeine at all. it gives me bad palpatations.

i thought atenanol was for high BP which i dont have , i have slightly low BP. Ideally I would like to take it every other day but maybe it wont get into my ststem properly, i need to talk to my GP i think.

• Posted

Bisoprolol is also used to control high BP.

I haven't touched caffeine since going into hospital with AF, I drink Barley cup instead it's a good substitute.

• Posted

Kim it's normal. I was on Bisoprolol for over a year and then I started do wean off. First I started taking my 1.25 mg every second day for a 2 weeks and then I started to cut it in half for a week and that was it. However I did have some rebounds for about a month but nothing that needed emergency.

i dizzy one day then next day my blood pressure went up the week later my heart rate went up for no reason but it was worth it. Like my doctor told me that it will take up to 2 months to get it out of your system. Whatever you do you must stick it up other wise you will be on beta blockers for ever. So don't listen to the guys here telling you to switch to different medication. Otherwise you will never go of like them. Good luck and be strong. 

Ps. Drink lots of water it helps and stay a way from negative people 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.