Dosage adjustment?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 5 mg Prozac one year and 10mg Prozac one year. So a total of 2 years all together. I've been up and down lately and have recently hit a depression block. My question is do you think the meds need adjusted or has anyone ever experienced this? Of course I will talk to my dr about this I'm just looking for some insight.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I recently started taking fluoxetine/prozac 20mg been 2 weeks now. I never took antidepressants before for anxiety. The side effects I'm experiencing are horrid!! The main one I have is insomnia. Have you stopped the meds and then got back on them, I heard about bad withdrawal effects from prozac. If you haven't and you've consistingly been taking them I'll suggest you tell your Doc about it, maybe it can be dosage issue not working for you anymore. Be on the safe side and check it out.

• Posted

I have taken fluoxetine before back in 2013 for a short period of time then came off of them by decreasing my dosage little by little. I've been on them a straight 2 years this time at a very low dose. I'm going to make an appt to discuss with my doc. Hopefully a dosage adjustment is all I need.

• Posted

Hi,

i take 40 mg for anxiety, depression, just been taking prozac for 3 months now. Ive read a lot about prozac dosage. Your dose is tiny, do you take the liquid form? I believe dosage with liquid is different strength, having said that upping your dose may help you, you may have side effects till you adjust to new dose. So many people say that 20 mg is good for them but others need 40 or even 60 mg. our composition is different so diff dosages suit others in diff ways. Remember too that in life we often hit rough patches, its not a smooth trip at times, so dont be afraid to try that little bit of extra oomph in meds. I know its not easy, see your Dr, dont forget to eat good food, less sugar, less caffiene, more water. And watch a funny dvd, have a laugh, while you adjust to new dose. Vitamin d can help also vit bs.

good luck🌺

• Posted

Thank you! I know I took 10 mg back in 2013 and it worked great but I wasn't experiencing depression mostly just anxiety. This time I'm experiencing both but I was pregnant and didn't want to take meds but needed something. I had started 5mg before I found out I was pregnant and took it throughout then upped to 10 afterwards. I take tablets. I def have had ups and downs which I know is part of the recovery phase. I recently have been so tired and blah. I think it's time to up it. I also have an appt with the endocrinologist to check my thyroid. Hoping this is worked out quickly. It sure does scare you to think that it's returning. Have you taken other meds besides Prozac before? Did you start on 20mg? I also do take multivitamin and B complex vitamin. I need to have my D checked to see if it's low.

• Posted

Could be you might benefit by a doctor's advice. I am on currently 20 mg and was prescribed 40mg and disliked the side effects and still no a fan of fluoxetine. Good your starting out at a low dose. My goal is to be off of it and currently trying magnesium. You may read up on magnesium deficiency and how it can effect anxiety-panic. Prayers for your healing and to this forum

• Posted

Thank you! Have you been another antidepressant before? I've tried a couple and only lasted a week due to the side effects.

• Posted

Yes. I've been on Zoloft over 20 years ago and ended up on Celexa which I did have success with. I took a maintenance dose up until an accident and a Traumatic Brain injury and seizures cause me to switch to fluoxetine because of the interactions with a seizure med, Tegretol. Still have interactions and working to get my sodium level up due to taking. Work in progress. I did have the least side effects on the Celexa. Everyone is unique and each med may work differently with alot of variables. You'll get there

• Posted

Thank you! May I ask what you take it for? Anxiety or depression? I'm scared that this is the life I'll have forever. I've been really good this year with little blips here and there but I was hoping I could eventually come off the meds.

• Posted

Originally a very low depression that led into severe anxiety and panic attacks. This was following a tough time 20 years ago. Some of us go through a time in life that just is to much for the brain to handle.
    • Posted

Yea mine is for bad depression. I went through a couple miscarriages that caused it.
    • Posted

Did you ever get rid of the depression with the meds? I was feeling pretty good about 80% but then I've hit a brick wall and feel like I'm starting all over.

• Posted

Sorry to hear. That's a very difficult thing to endure and never fully get over but learn to live a new NORMAL. My sister lost her son to a drowning a year ago and it's something also one never fully gets over. Again Prayer's to you for the strength and wisdom to move forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.