Double Bunion op - what to expect first few days/weeks post op?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I'm due to have my bunions on both my feet done in just over 2 weeks. Can anyone give me tips on how best to cope in the first few days (& weeks)? What should I expect pain wise? Will I get offered physio? Will I be given exercises to do?

I've been told I've to be non weight bearing for 2 weeks post op then my plaster will be changed and I'll have heel walking shoes. We only have one bathroom/wc I'm prepared to basically live upstairs for 2 weeks lol! . My hubby, bless him, is preparing to become full on cook, maid & parent for 2 weeks.

Any advice will be appreciated😁

Thanks in advance

Elizabeth x

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You should have done a little research, 2 weeks non weight bearing? What method are they doing? Normally with most osteotomies you can weightbear straight away, oe at least the day after. Plastercast? All sounds very old fashioned! Where are you having it done? Even the NHS has surgeons who perform minimal invasive bunion surgery. 
    • Posted

Hi Susann, 2 weeks non weight bearing is what I've been advised by my consultant, then have my plaster (forefoot only) changed and be heel walking for a further 4.. Good old NHS, and I'm ok with that.

Really anything to get rid of the daily pain I'm in and I'm not in any rush to get up on my feet if it might interfere with the healing process.

I don't know the exact method I will have done but my bunions are quite bad so I've been told there will need to be some tightening of my tendons along the side of foot as well as removal of some tissue between my first and second metatarsal, then realignment. Not sure what the exact name of that procedure is, but then I'm not the surgeon so as long as he knows what to do I'm ok with not knowing. 😁

• Posted

I thought I would read this post and felt susann1107's reply was a little harsh.  

I think Elizabeth, if like many of us you will be feeling anxious because of the unknown, when we have decided where we are going to have the operation carried out - thinking ahead is good!

I know even making up our mind to get this surgery done is not always easy.  In fact when you read this site we ALL have different experiences of pain, physio, etc, etc. 

My advice Elizabeth is to ask all the questions you think of BEFORE surgery if needs be email/telephone surgical department.  They may have advice sheets available now for you to read.  

What I do know that none of us are qualified to say exactly what and how your operation will be performed - your foot is individual to you. Just read this site and see that it is not straight foreward.

You are doing the right thing get all your questions out of the way now so you go into surgery with a plan - then you can get all that you need around you and with your hubby there for you I wish you luck for a speedy recovery.  

Note: There are lots of people on here who will 'hold your hand' after the surgery with tips and advice.  

• Posted

P.S. I only had one foot done (next due some time) and I was non-weight bearing for several weeks and in a moon boot.  I was given crutches and just could not use them from the outset my arm strength was not there and used a 'walker'.  So 'one size' does not fit all - you need to adapt to your needs.x
    • Posted

My reply was not really harsh, but not telling her it is a pink world. The decision of which osteotomy should be done, should be disussed with the patient before the operation is booked. Furthermore can no surgeon tell you how long your foot is swollen for, so saying after 2 weeks one is fine is speculation. There should always be an option of different techniques, unfortunately the NHS is not very forth coming in modern surgery. Having small children it is a big decision and doing both at the same time is very different to having one done. I do hope all will be fine and in most cases it is.
    • Posted

Hi Gilly, thanks for your reply. Crutches are something I'm a bit wary of, I have poor upper body strength so it will be interesting to see how I get on with them!

• Posted

Hi there

I am week 9 following a double cheilectomy (a type of bunion op done where arthritis is also involved).  I thought I was having a big toe fusion on my right foot but when I saw my surgeon at week 7, she told me she hadn't felt it was necessary after all.  So now I have lovely straight feet with pins in both big toes that I cannot feel at all.

I was allowed to minimally weight bear in the first few weeks, i.e. Just to go to the loo.  We also only have an upstairs bathroom, so I stayed in the bedroom for the first 5 days, then managed to get up and down stairs with a crutch to lie on sofa with feet raised.  I did have some pain in the first couple of weeks but this was mostly under control with oramoph and cocodamol the first week, then paracetamol after that.  My feet were in bandages for ten days, then these were removed at the hospital and I wore Velcro splints and special sandals.  I was able to wear over-sized trainers to walk outside after 5 weeks and was back in normal shoes at week 7.  My big toes are still quite stiff but I am walking better every day and the only thing I can't do so well as yet is walk downstairs normally (quite a bend required on the toes).

I hope this helps to give you some idea what to expect; as someone else said there is a lot of difference between treatment approaches from different surgeons and also in different countries (I'm in England).  My advice is to rest with your feet raised as much as possible, especially in the early weeks.  It is definitely worth having the op in the long-run and on both feet at once.  Good luck!

• Posted

If you are having mobilitly issues, have you asked about physio?  You should.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I've been doing the standing on my toe exercises the consultant told me to do and it's getting better every day now. Thanks for your input and good to see another positive outcome from a double op.

BW

Gill

• Posted

I wasn't given those toe exercises, but I do like that idea in helping with the mobility.  If you haven't been told, expect the swelling to last up to a year.  I had to buy new winter boots and running shoes as the ones I had weren't wide enough. I;m glad I got the double done and look forward to spring and summer when I can wear sandals and hopefully get back into my fitness routine at 100%!  smile
    • Posted

Hi Gillian, thanks for your reply. This sounds really encouraging. I'm hoping for straight feet too, I literally cannot imagine what my feet will look like without the bunions!

Good to hear that you were walking outside after 5 weeks. I'm fully prepared to rest up as much as possible in the early weeks, as far as I see it, the more I rest the better chance I give my feet of healing. I'm actually looking forward to it, the thought of pain free, straight feet is great!

• Posted

I am 8 months post op for double bunion removal.  You will be non weight bearing for longer than 2 weeks. Dont; push it!  I did and regretted it as was so afraid I'd done something that would be irreparable.  Luckily I didn't.   Elevate and take it easy.  I live in 2 story house and only came downstairs (someontimes on my bum).  Make sure to take pain medication as directed.  Hire a walker and wheelchair as you will need to get out and about.  Honestly, the pain was not as bad as I was expecting but don't overdo it!!  If you start seeing blood coming throught the casts get off your feet!!  

yes you will need to have the very high fashion walking shoes.  So glamourous.  hope all goes well for you.  You willl be amazed when they take the casts off and you see what it looks lke.  Pretty Frankenstein like (Franken-feet I called it), but they will look glorious.  Best of luck with it all.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

This is what I've been wondering too, the unveiling of my 'new' feet. What will they look like, what will they feel like? I have quite a lot of hard skin as it is on my feet mainly due to the shape of my feet, so I'm looking forward to getting all of that off at some point in the future

My boss has actually offered me a loan of a wheelchair so at least I'll be able to get out, (if the weather improves!).

Great advice,thank you

• Posted

I hated the wheelchair!  My daughter and husband pushed me around in it but was handy when shopping.  I couldn't drive so we had to take it with us for the first 3-4 weeks.  I did buy (in Canada) a walker with 4 wheels. for $100CDN (oin sale half price) that was really helpful.  I used that around the house while in casts and even when I had the heel shoes (so glamours).  Get a prescription from the doctor to rent a wheelchair and buy/rent walker as, if you have health insurance, hopefully you can get reimbursed (I did).
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

As you've seen already, we all have different conditions and different experiences, so they can give only a very general guidance. My double bunion op was 8 weeks ago (the details are in my thread started in early January and updated today). From your post, I think this is the most important:

"My hubby, bless him, is preparing to become full on cook, maid & parent for 2 weeks." 

I had full support from my wife during the first weeks too, and this makes things so much better.

Also, I found that fixing both feet at the same time is advantageous in several ways:

1) One recovery period rather than two

2) Symmetric load is better for your spine

3) You can compare progress between your feet, and it makes it easier to recognise possible complications.

In more specific matters, just trust your surgeon and your common sense, and listen to reactions from your body.

Cheers,

Yuri

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.