Double Bunion op - what to expect first few days/weeks post op?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I'm due to have my bunions on both my feet done in just over 2 weeks. Can anyone give me tips on how best to cope in the first few days (& weeks)? What should I expect pain wise? Will I get offered physio? Will I be given exercises to do?

I've been told I've to be non weight bearing for 2 weeks post op then my plaster will be changed and I'll have heel walking shoes. We only have one bathroom/wc I'm prepared to basically live upstairs for 2 weeks lol! . My hubby, bless him, is preparing to become full on cook, maid & parent for 2 weeks.

Any advice will be appreciated😁

Thanks in advance

Elizabeth x

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth..... i had a double done on 11th May last year, so i am 9 months done the line now.... firstly this site is amazing for all the help you need, such lovely people on here.... i had double bunion removal and hammer toe correction... like all surgery it does not come pain free... to be honest the pain for me was bad, but with medication and keeping feet elevated you do get through it... i found trying to walk to the bathroom day after surgery was so painful it made me feel sick but just do it slowly, i lived in my bedroom for three weeks, and my partner who can not even cook a slice of toast became the most amazing helper... bless him, soon the stitches were being taken out and advice from surgeon get walking again BUT .....  its not that easy, having the two done i dont regret because i would of not gone back for the second to be honest... it did affect me emotionally too... felt rock bottom, eat at silly hours and gained a stone in weight.... it is a long journey but it will all be worthwhile.... all symptons and the way you may feel someone on here will relate to which makes you feel so much better, i can honestly say i dont know what i would of done without this site.... myself i am still learning to walk as both big toes and second toe are still stiff, surgeon said this surgery takes at least a year to start to settle down and i can say it is so true.... i had days where i would just try to walk from the lounge to kitchen thinking i was doing good... and then toes would swell so it was back on the sofa with feet up.... but we all get there in the end my love.... so just take one day at a time... if i have one funny memory of having my feet done, i went to spain three months after and had to have a wheelchair because of the heat the swelling was bad and painful... my partner not being used to pushing a wheelchair was pushing me and looking at other things.... and i nearly ended up in a fish pond... even though i was in a little pain we screamed with laughter... plus the only footwear i could have was soft house slippers... it was a sight i must say.... through out your recovery keep on this site because it is a god send.... i wish you a speedy recovery hun, and you will ok, keep positive, we are all here to help xx
  • Posted

Hi. I just had bilateral bunions done 7 days ago. I must say its painful but taking pain killers 4 hourly helped me a lot, I have a cast and will be removed after 21 days . I don't regret doing the op because the pains were worse than what I'm experiencing now. Don't worry you will be fine
    • Posted

Slowly catching up with my emails!  I've just responded to your thread too. 

I've got casts on my feet, but only the first half.  I get these replaced next Monday (7th) and then another 4 weeks in plaster! 

Do you have the lovely black shoes?  I really do have a love/hate relationship with them.  I totally understand why I need to wear them and the benefit they bring to my feet but I'm getting fed up with how long it takes to put them on!  Just a quick visit to the loo takes so long these days wink

• Posted

Hi. I also have those ugly uncomfortable shoes. I just wish I had a choice whether I want to wear them or not. I always have my feet elevated but its tough. I'm not used to relying people to do things for me so it makes to be short tampered really. So today I'm going for check, will update you all later.
  • Posted

Hi just thought I'd update this thread with my progress.

I am now 6 days post op - double bunionectomy & osteotomy.  I had quite a few concerns before I had the operation - namely how exactly would I cope with both feet in plaster, particularly as our bathroom is upstairs.

But I'm happy to say things haven't been as bad as I expected.  I was wheeled into the operating theatre at 9am and woke up on the recovery ward about 11:30am with both feet in plaster.  I was later moved to the ambulatory ward,  where I stayed for the remainder of the afternoon.  I got the medical shoes and attempted to walk about 4pm, I was a bit shaky at first but with the help of elbow crutches I soon got the hang of the shoes.  I was discharged about 5:30pm and was happy to get home.

The stairs weren't as bad as I expected and I was very happy to get into bed.  The last few days have been anywhere near as bad as I expected, although I did get over confident yesterday and spend too long on my feet.  Last night was in the most pain I've had since the op and it was my own fault.  Today I'm back to resting as much as I can and keeping on top of my pain relief!

So all in all, I'm glad I've had the op.  The pain hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be and rest/elevate/ice as much as possible. 

• Posted

Hi Biff. I posted a thread about getting both feet do e and im soooo glad i found this one! I was rhinking of getting both do e because of down time w school and work. Im on my feet all the time with my job and honestly i do not think i could take anymore time out.

My question to you is are you using crutches to get around w both feet in boots??

Thx again!

T

• Posted

Hi, short answer is yes. In the first few days, probably the first week to be honest I used them ALL the time. And that was really just going between my bedroom and the bathroom. Now, 3 weeks after the op, I only used them when i go outside. When I'm indoors I find it easier and quicker to walk without them, but outside I use the crutches as they help stabilise when pavements are uneven. I'm slower with the crutches, but I'd rather be slow and stable than risk falling over.

I'm glad I've had both done, my pain so far has been minimal and only 3 more weeks to go till I get the casts off and try walking normally. I expect I might experience more pain then, when I start using my feet again. If that makes sense?

Hope that helps

Biff

• Posted

Hi everyone,

This site has been a great source of information and I feel a lot more comfortable with my surgery as I can see everyone has similar experiences and in some cases very different experiences. I also recently had double bunion surgery, on both feet (big toes and pinky toes) and it's now 3.5 weeks after surgery. I had my surgery in Melbourne. After surgery my feet were only wrapped in bandages and at 2 weeks had stitches removed. In the first 1.5/2 weeks, my feet were also throbbing and was painful to put my feet down, so it was always on the elevated as much as possible (following advise from doctor as well as reading other people's experience). At 1.5 weeks I was able to walk on my heels slowly with crutches but before that, I improvised, using a computer chair to move around the house after the 1st week of minimal movement.

I was also given the post surgury Darco velcro shoes to walk around in. At 2 weeks, I was able to move around on crutches and in order to see my Dr again to have the stitches removed it was a must to get around in with my crutches and immediately after surgery, I was encouraged to learn to use the crutches, scary at first to try and walk at 2 days after surgery but manageable.

After having my stitches removed, they didn't appear to have healed 100% and no futher bandages were applied either when I was sent home. I have taken the unusual step of applying freshly crushed turmeric on where my stitches were, once every 2 days for about an hour and only washing the wound 24 hours after I have applied the turmeric (google around on applying turmeric on open wounds - most talk about turmeric powder, but freshly crushed turmeric I believe is the best). Now at 3.5 weeks, the wounds are healing well, some of the scabs are starting to peel off and I'm guessing the rest will peel off within the next 2 to 3 weeks and hopefully with minimal scarring (I have used fresh turmeric before when I had an snowboarding accident with snow burn on my face and there has been no scaring on my).

I've also stopped using my crutches at 3 weeks and can walk around on my heels (with my Darco shoes on) which is great as I can now move around slowly and up and down stairs. My Dr has advise at week 4, I can throw out the Darco shoes but as my feet are still quite swollen, I might need them for a bit longer if I don't fit into any of my sneakers.

My left big toes is still numb, which I think is because it's still so swollen (my left foot is a bit more swollen then my right foot) it may be affecting senses there, so I will monitor this over the next few weeks.

I've also been slowly doing toe excercises, wiggling them gently for about 2 minutes, 3 or 4 times a day)

Overall, I'm glad I've had both feet done, as I only need to go through recovery once. The first week - 1.5 week was the hardest, but from week 2 onwards, everything is getting easier each day. I hope to be able to contribute back to this site as it's been a great source of information

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth how are you getting on? I had both my bunions done a week ago. I was allowed to wait bear straight away as long as I wear the Velcro sandals. Also advised to keep feet well up for 23 hours a day. Am now walking more easily on my heels etc

Are you pleased with your progress so far? Hope you are getting on well

Best wishes

Hillybill

• Posted

Could you let me know where you had the operation and by whom? Just out of interest.
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

Dr Harvinder Bedi at Epworth Hospital.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

M

• Posted

Hi

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Life with a husband and 2 kids getting in the way!!

I'm now four weeks post op and I'm really pleased with my progress. I've been wearing the Velcro shoes every day and keeping my feet elevated as much as I can. I'm almost totally off the pain medication, only using paracetamol on occasional days if I've done too much.

For me, I really have just been following doctors orders and resting as much as I can. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching Netflix, but still looking after the kids once they come home from school, doing their bedtime, etc so I'm still spending a couple of hours a night going up/downstairs, between rooms and the like. You find ways to adjust your normal routine and so far, my feet have let me know when I've done too much as they become quite swollen. So I then just need to rest and elevate them until it eases. I've updated my blog with my thoughts and how I've been coping but I can't put a link on here. It is called 'Sunshine and Cheesebugs' though if you are interested.

How do you feel now?

Biff

• Posted

Hi Michael,

I am booked to have both my bunions done with Dr Bedi in May. I am nervous.....any tips and words of reassurance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.