Skip to content
Ad

Hallux Valgus (Bunions)

Also known as Bunions

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Post Bunion Op footwear

Hi Everyone! I had bunion surgery (shaved bunion, and straightening of the big toe) six and a half weeks ago. I am finally out of the blue shoe, back to work and rid of the crutches! As much as I hated my blue surgical shoe, I'm now kinda missing it! None of my shoes fit, due to swelling, and I'm...

Last reply
  • 11 weeks post op - feeling good!

Just thought I’d add my experience with bunion surgery as I know recovery can get VERY frustrating. I had a lapidus procedure on my left foot August 25. Surgery went great- after the first 5 days virtually pain free. The actual recovery was an experience though in itself. I was non weight bearing for...

Last reply
  • Walking after 6 weeks bunionectomy

Hi Friends, For those of you who had only one foot done, I am wondering how you are feeling at 6 weeks. I have been walking for about 10 days in the aircast, as I had the surgery 6 weeks ago yesterday, but my foot is still sore and hurts, and I have severe sciatica in my good leg from sitting around...

Last reply
  • Advice about bunion surgery

Hi, I am 61 and I am contemplating bunion and hammer toe surgery in the next few months. I struggle to find shoes that are comfortable and would love to hear from anyone who has undergone similar surgery. I also have a crooked toe which needs to be straightened. Please let me know about your experiences.

Last reply
  • Bunion surgery - recovery experiences please

Hello I have just been referred for bunion surgery and I am interested in knowing peoples recovery stories. I am a single mum of 2 children aged 7 & 9 and my job involves driving. So I am wondering how quickly people could driver after surgery and how much support I would need at home from my Mum...

Last reply
  • Bunion both feet at the same time - recovery and weight gain?

Good morning, I am 44, I will be 45 by the time I have dual bunion surgery. I am starting to get nervous about it all. I am a very active person, I do some rough exercises, I trail run, I try to keep strong and in shape, aside from the pain, the immobility I am mostly worried about gaining a ton of weight...

Last reply
  • Bunion op in December

Is anyone else having a bunion op in December? I'm having one tomorrow, I thought it might feel good to share day to day experiences & advice with other people, especially in the lead-up to Christmas. I'm feeling very nervous today!

Last reply
  • Need some advice post bunion surgery

Hi  Had bunion surgery 8 days ago but week later my toe looks like it’s drifting back to the other toes again in the bandage is this normal? At first there was quite a gap between big toe and second one  Any advice please as don’t want to bother the surgeon 

Last reply
  • Anyone had second toe fusion ?

Hi I have just been to see the consultant for my six week check up, I explained I was unhappy about my second toe, he was very kind and spent some time explaining things to me. Physio not won't work, the best thing for it would be to fuse the toe so it is straight. Not only that it looks like I broke...

Last reply
  • Severe bunions with stinging pain all over feet-- what is this?

So confused. Been having worsening foot pain for years, bunions getting worse. Developed stinging, shooting pains in my ankles & tops of feet, one worse than other. Was told it's tendinitis, then tendinosis. Pain now is also on bottoms of feet. Gets bad with any time at all on my feet. New doctor...

Last reply
  • pmf pmf

Blister at incision site

I had my second bunionectomy in December 2014. The first one was a botched job that left a bone spur under the incision and led to compromised tissue. The spur is gone, but the slightest friction causes a blister at the incision site and weeks of discomfort and healing time. Is there any way to heal...

Posted
  • walking after minimally invasive bunion surgery

I had a scarf osteotomy with minimally invasive surgery on Wednesday 17th and have been sent home with crutches and told to elevate the foot for 50 mins out of every hour for 2 weeks. Its day 4 and I have found myself sometimes walking a few steps without them, just without any weight on the toe - when...

Last reply
  • anyone ever get nerve damage

I have posted this problem before I with concern of this new burning feeling in my foot. This is my 4week,( no weightberring total of 8 wks) and I am still having this burning fire feeling in my foot. It's not just a little burning. Which I do have sometimes, but at most times it's really bad....

Last reply
  • Bunion surgery caused a mtf metal plate fussion

I had a bunion removed having 3 screws inserted in my toe in 2016.I had continuous pain so had a X-ray The X-ray showed the cartridge was damaged  in my big toe. I had the screws removed and a metal plate fitted in my toe to stop the bones rubbing together I am still in pain until this day I think...

Posted
  • Lapidus Procedure Questions and Concerns

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled to have a lapidus procedure for a bunion done on my right foot, this Monday 6/1/15. I'm in my early 20s, a nonsmoker, and more-or-less healthy. Like many other people, I am experiencing last minute reservations and fear about this process and was hoping to find some...

Last reply
  • Hammertoe Surgery - my experience and some helpful tips

Hello I had Hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago on both feet, 6 toes in total and I thought I would share my experience as I had so many questions and needed more information and "googled" obsessively to find out more - so here is my experience. Surgery Day I arrived at the hospital and was quickly...

Last reply
  • Big toe fusion after bunion surgery, can I run again?

I had a buionectomy about 8 weeks ago. It was a severe bunion that could only be corrected by fusing my big toe straight as my whole foot was deformed.  While it looks better I am still very swolen and can not wear any shoes. Will I ever be able to run or dance again since I will never be able to...

Last reply
  • Physiotherapy post surgery?

Hello fellow bunion folk! I had both mine done minimally invasively five weeks ago. Have obeyed all docs orders re keeping feet up for first two weeks and wearing ghastly ortho shoes ever since. I can walk quite well albeit like a duck but have got bursitis under toes in both so it feels like walking...

Last reply
  • Lapidus Bunionectomy

Hello, does anyone know how I can find out how many Lapidus Procedures were carried out in the UK in 2011/2012 and 2012/2013?  

Posted
  • Bunion surgery -having both feet done at the same time.

I would welcome hearing from anyone who has both feet operated on at the same time. I am really eager for this to happen to get it all over with in one go. Also I am 64 --very fit and active --(hike and cycle up hills etc) and  am worried about losing my fitness so am thinking that one period of...

Last reply
  • Bunion Surgery? Is it worth it?

I have an appointment coming up to make a decision on bunion surgery, my consultant has pretty much left the ball in my court to decide. What is making this so difficult for me is that I am currently not in pain. I have been, that is how I ended up at the doctors in the first place but the pain has since...

Last reply
  • Elevated toes after bunion surgery

Hi this may seem like a duplication of my original question.  Has anyone who has had bunion surgery had elevated toes (as well as swelling).  I had my surgery five weeks ago and the foot is still swollen.  I expected that.  However, my big toe and two of the others are elevated.  Could...

Last reply
  • Debating bunion surgery

Hi there! My foot hurts whenever I consistently run, jump, or do Zumba, and if I'm working out regularly, it'll also hurt when I walk the dogs to the point where I temporarily limp, or even just when sitting on the couch. I saw a podiatrist who said he was surprised by the amount of pain given...

Last reply
  • Long term, has your bunion surgery been successful?

Hi everyone. I live in the UK and am contemplating "left foot Scarfe osteotomy of 1st metatarsal with Akin osteotomy of hallux."  I am concerned that long term, the operation may not be successful. My bunion is stopping me walking longer than 15 minutes without pain and limping as the...

Last reply
  • Numbness and tingly in my big toes

Hello everyone, I would be happy if I could receive a few opinions from you guys, if you know anything about what I am about to describe.. I will see a doctor about this, but until I get my appointment I would like to investigate a bit.. I am just curious.. Last night I think I barely slept one...

Last reply
  • Huge pressure in foot after bunion surgery

Hi everyone I really need some advice. Had bunion surgery 12 days ago on my left foot.... Not a huge amount of pain as I have the foot elevated most of the time. I finished anti inflammatories a week ago and have just finished my course of solpadol.  I have tried to walk around but the amount...

Last reply
  • Wearing heels after fusion bunion operation?

Hi Call me vain, but I am very concerned that I apparently won't be able to wear heels EVER if I have a fusion bunion operation.  I'm not talking huge here, but the surgeon said anything over half an inch would not be possible.  Is this really the case?  At present I usually wear...

Last reply
  • Bunion operation in Ireland

Hello everyone, I am new to this discussion. I am contemplating bunion surgery and hammertoe correction in July. Has anyone on the discussion board had this operation done in Ireland. Also has anyone had keyhole bunion surgery done in the UK. Mary

Last reply
  • Pain at night

I had bunion surgery 17 days ago. All went well. 12 days after surgery, dr put me in a boot and said i can walk on my heel. All good. At night, when i am in bed, i have been getting excruciating pain in my Foot like nerve endings on fire. Pain pills don't seem to be effective. I haven't ...

Last reply
  • Hallux rigidus (fusion)

Help Can anyone advise me? I am due to have a bunion removed next month but because of arthritus in my big toe I am also having a 'fusion'. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this operation to know their experiences. Was it very painful - how long off work . what (if any) height...

Last reply
  • Scar tissue after bunion surgery

I'm now more than 6 months post bunion & hammertoe surgery !! Experienced a post op complication of scar tissue build up so  have not regained full movementvof toes ! Foot feels tight & sore & still walking with a limp, my consultant proposing a procedure to break up adhesions !...

Last reply
  • Bunion surgery, month follow up

I had bunion surgery exactly a month ago today. Today is also the day I see the consultant for the first time since surgery.  In short this is the worst thing I’ve had to have done. I’m still getting a lot of pain and can only walk on the side of my foot and/or heel. When I put my foot down flat...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.