Skip to content
Ad

Hallux Valgus (Bunions)

Also known as Bunions

All discussions in this group

Next
  • 6 weeks post op and my foot turns red ish blue!

6 weeks after surgery I got the green light to walk and bear weight. Swelling is minimal and I am wearing my tennis with the laces loose not problem. I just noticed how redish my surgical foot is compared to my other foot. It doesn't hurt, just a bit achy at times, is this discoloration normal?...

Last reply
  • Bunion surgery - recovery experiences please

Hello I have just been referred for bunion surgery and I am interested in knowing peoples recovery stories. I am a single mum of 2 children aged 7 & 9 and my job involves driving. So I am wondering how quickly people could driver after surgery and how much support I would need at home from my Mum...

Last reply
  • Shoes after 6 weeks post bunion surgery

Hi all! I'll be back to see my surgeon in three weeks - that would be 6 weeks post op for follow-up and x-ray. He said that by then I will stop wearing the surgical boot and start wearing tennis shoes. My queston for you guys who had the same experience....Did you have to wear the tennis shoes all...

Last reply
  • Walking after 6 weeks bunionectomy

Hi Friends, For those of you who had only one foot done, I am wondering how you are feeling at 6 weeks. I have been walking for about 10 days in the aircast, as I had the surgery 6 weeks ago yesterday, but my foot is still sore and hurts, and I have severe sciatica in my good leg from sitting around...

Last reply
  • anyone ever get nerve damage

I have posted this problem before I with concern of this new burning feeling in my foot. This is my 4week,( no weightberring total of 8 wks) and I am still having this burning fire feeling in my foot. It's not just a little burning. Which I do have sometimes, but at most times it's really bad....

Last reply
  • Almost 5 weeks post op

It will be 5 weeks on Wednesday January 10th since my bunion surgery on my right foot and I’m experiencing a lot of pain from swelling when up doing things. Doctor said full weight with boot at 4 week appointment.  Walking on it hurts and really inflames it.  I only walk on it occasionally,...

Last reply
  • Bunionectomy on Dec 18th-Scared Out of Wits!

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, and could use some advice. I'm 26 years old, lightly to moderately active. I have to have a bunionectomy on both feet as my bunions have gotten bad enough to where it hurts to walk. The podiatrist will be performing the right bunionectomy on Dec 18th, a week before...

Last reply
  • Hammertoe Surgery - my experience and some helpful tips

Hello I had Hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago on both feet, 6 toes in total and I thought I would share my experience as I had so many questions and needed more information and "googled" obsessively to find out more - so here is my experience. Surgery Day I arrived at the hospital and was quickly...

Last reply
  • Huge pressure in foot after bunion surgery

Hi everyone I really need some advice. Had bunion surgery 12 days ago on my left foot.... Not a huge amount of pain as I have the foot elevated most of the time. I finished anti inflammatories a week ago and have just finished my course of solpadol.  I have tried to walk around but the amount...

Last reply
  • Bunion surger plus hammer toe fusion. Now new surgery....

So last year around May I decided to have bunion surgery. I was having massive pain in my right foot as well as my left every time I walked or stood for any length of time. While at the podiatrist he noticed that the toe right side of my big toe the joint was weak and recommended a toe Fusion. So I went...

Last reply
  • Bunion Surgery - footwear/general recovary advice?!

I'm about 7 weeks in recovery from Bilateral Scarf Akin Osteotomy (bunion surgery on both feet) and am concerned about still not being able to walk properly or go back to work (as I work in a shop and on my feet all day) currently the only thing that fits me are my slippers but I was wondering if...

Last reply
  • Bunion surgery - much more painful than I ever imagined

Had Scarf osteotomy to remove bunion on right foot on Friday 2 March. Foot numb for almost 24 hours so not much pain until Saturday morning - then sheer agony! Ibuprofen & codeine alternated with paracetamol & codeine the most effective painkillers but you can only take so many in a day. Have...

Last reply
  • Swelling after surgery, how long does it last?

Hello all, I had a bunionectomy 11/10/17 no screws.  According to the X-rays  bone is healed.  I also had a bone spur shaved off in the top of my foot.  Last Tuesday my dr wanted me to get my foot in a shoe, I told him he was crazy.  He said ok first thing in the am try it, and...

Last reply
  • Scarf/Atkins op

Hi, I had my op 3 weeks ago tomorrow and had the big bandage off last Wed such a relief,!  The wounds healing well but looks horrible I’m walking around in a Darco boot which I bought from Amazon it’s designed so the toe doesn’t touch the floor, it’s good but heavy I dare not walk without it. i,m...

Last reply
  • 6 months post op and still struggling

I had my surgery in October with 2 screws/wires inserted. Prior to my op I was fairly fit, being an active gym member, running and playing netball. 6 months later I can do very little apart from using an exercise bike. Although I can deal with that in the long term, I just want to be able to walk properly....

Last reply
  • Bunionette

I know a lot of people who suffer from bunions, but a bunionette (at the side of little toe) is equally as painful.  I had it removed in a podiatrist's office when living in L.A., and the darn thing came back 30 years later. In England, there are NO podiatrists who perform this,  Instead,...

Posted
  • Tripped and landed on bottom of large toe

I had surgery last Wednesday. All has been going well until yesterday. I was icing my foot without boot, got up, and my scooter got caught on rug. I caught myself but unfortunately it was on my foot that I just had double bunion removed. The landed in toward the front of my foot under large toe. I have...

Last reply
  • minor foot surgery after effects a month after

I just had bunion repair with allograft for hallux limitus about a month ago. Is it normal to still not be able to put a shoe on my foot? I have tried, but it hurts while I try and bend my toes into shoe. Also my foot that I had surgery on is ice cold, is this normal? I also can not bend my toes completely....

Last reply
  • Day 5 after bunion op × 2

I had both feet and  bunions done Tuesday there was also a lot of arthritis.  It's now Sunday and the pain is a lot less....managing with a lot less pain killers. I am also able to slowly walk around without any crutches etc...you do need good balance and core strength...or u might fall....

Last reply
  • Recommendations for bunion surgery

I need to have surgery to straighten my bunion. I will need first second and third metatarsocuneiform joint fusions to correct the alignment of my bunion and midfoot osteoarthritis. I've been told that podiatry can't do it as I will need general anaesthetic so they've referred me to Orthopedics...

Last reply
  • Bunion Surgery? Is it worth it?

I have an appointment coming up to make a decision on bunion surgery, my consultant has pretty much left the ball in my court to decide. What is making this so difficult for me is that I am currently not in pain. I have been, that is how I ended up at the doctors in the first place but the pain has since...

Last reply
  • Hallux valgus (bunion) surgery in athletes

I am a 30-year old professional football player. I have a large bunion on my left foot ( so large that I am forced to use split-size shoes). In my case, surgery seems to be the only solution. To what degree will my performance be affected by the operation? Suggestions and personal stories from athletes...

Last reply
  • Bunions

I have just had both feet done...bunions fixed and a lot of arthritis removed. I am onto day 4...the first 2 days were very painful till I got my medication right. I do not like taking drugs but in the end gave in as pain was bad....and I have a high pain tolerance. Constipation is bad due to drugs so...

Last reply
  • Screw sticking out?

Has anyone else had their screw start to come out? Well thats what I think it feels like. Its a pointed hard bit on the bunion site and my foot has started to hurt again when I walk. I have contacted my surgeon who is going to take xrays next week. Do they take the screw out under general anaesthetic?...

Last reply
  • Should I get bunion surgery?

I have always had bunions. I am 20 years old and I believe my bunions are genetic. I hate them and feel like they are getting bigger. I can never wear sandals or revealing shoes because of this but currently they do not hurt. I would love to have them removed, but I do not want unbareable pain and damage...

Last reply
  • Big toe joint replacement.

Hi I had both big toes done this week . Very painful to weight bear and just wondered if it takes a long time to heal if anyone knows. Thanks

Last reply
  • 6 days post op bunion surgery

Hi had surgery 6 days ago on 1 foot have boot to wear when I'm walking but not sure if I can ditch the crutches yet / put weight on it help please it feels tingly when I try to put foot on floor

Last reply
  • Bunion removal surgery and metal pins question

I had a bunion removed on December 23, 2013. A slice of the big toe was removed (primarily the bunion) and two pins were inserted for stability. After two months I started to experience pain when walking, and can center it around the location of the pins. My podiatrist made the suggestion yesterday...

Last reply
  • Non union after lapidus bunionectomy

I am looking for people who have experienced non bone union after lapidus surgery for bunion. Specifically asymptomatic nonunion patients. Opinions and experiences about your recovery etc. Thank you

Posted
  • Wearing heels after fusion bunion operation?

Hi Call me vain, but I am very concerned that I apparently won't be able to wear heels EVER if I have a fusion bunion operation.  I'm not talking huge here, but the surgeon said anything over half an inch would not be possible.  Is this really the case?  At present I usually wear...

Last reply
  • Bunion Shoe?

Hey all, I'm having a bunionectomy and osteotomy on my right and left foot (not at the same time!) and wondered what the timeline is for how long you have to wear the shoe. For now, they've said I can't exercise for 4-6 weeks, but I have a post op appointment 2 weeks after, probably to take...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.