Skip to content

Hallux Valgus (Bunions)

Also known as Bunions

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Hammertoe Surgery - my experience and some helpful tips

Hello I had Hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago on both feet, 6 toes in total and I thought I would share my experience as I had so many questions and needed more information and "googled" obsessively to find out more - so here is my experience. Surgery Day I arrived at the hospital and was quickly...

Last reply
  • Post op Bunion removal surgery

Hi there I m 5 weeks post op and trying to deal with this damn foot ! I’m walking on the side of my foot which is really frustrating as I can’t put my big toe down from swelling ! Due to see surgeon next week for 6 week check up  and I have a list of questions to ask . Has anyone recently had the...

Last reply
  • Fed up!

9 weeks post op, still having discomfort, due to see GP today with a view to returning to work on monday. Still having some issues though. Scar is very sensitive, cant wear shoes without a sock although have purchased some silicone gel strips which stop the rubbing but dont seem to be making any difference...

Last reply
  • bunionectomy includes shortening calf muscle?

I consulted a top surgeon about my mobility/stability issues which I believe are caused by pain from a severe bunion and changes to my foot. He explained that the surgery would include shortening my calf muscle. I was too shocked to question him about it but am increasingly uneasy. Has anyone heard of...

Last reply
  • After effects of fusion?

Hi I've just seen a Surgeon who said the only option for my bunions is fusion.  However, this would mean that I had to wear absolutely flat shoes.  I wore shoes with about 1 inch heels to the consultation and was told that these would not be suitable - ever!  Is this really true? ...

Last reply
  • Advice please

i had bunion surgery 6 weeks ago, it has been a slow and painful process which I have no intention of repeating. My question is regarding the scar. Although it looks good and there is no infection it is so sore. Doctor suggested I wear a sock to try and protect it a bit but not working, it stings constantly....

Last reply
  • Wearing shoes.

I had my surgery on 2 March. It was snowing. Today I tried walking around without the walking boot. As the weather was glorious I was in the garden. I wore a pair of sandals with Velcro straps across the toes and at the ankle. Walking sandals. It was bliss, like " this is the beginning of the end"....

Last reply
  • Other discomforts caused by Bunions

Hi all, I’ve reached my breaking point with my feet. I’ve had bunions for as long as I can remember, and I’m only 24.  My actual bunion itself doesn’t hurt too often, only after a long day of walking or bad shows. The other pain I get is what drives me up a wall. I was just wondering what other...

Last reply
  • Bunion surgery - recovery experiences please

Hello I have just been referred for bunion surgery and I am interested in knowing peoples recovery stories. I am a single mum of 2 children aged 7 & 9 and my job involves driving. So I am wondering how quickly people could driver after surgery and how much support I would need at home from my Mum...

Last reply
  • Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery - Sydney

Hi all,  I have spent many years following discussions in these forums and finally got up the courage to have my bunion surgery this year.  I opted for the minimally invasive technique and saw Dr Peter Lam.  I wanted to write up my experience for anyone who might be interested.  I...

Last reply
  • 13 weeks and still counting.

Hi all I've had my bunion done, two dislocated toes realigned and my instep fused. Yesterday after 13 weeks the cast came off. It was replaced by a walking boot. This thing looks like something Robocop would have. It weighs a ton. But I dont have to wear it in bed or in the shower. I 've got...

Last reply
  • Scar tissue after bunion surgery

I'm now more than 6 months post bunion & hammertoe surgery !! Experienced a post op complication of scar tissue build up so  have not regained full movementvof toes ! Foot feels tight & sore & still walking with a limp, my consultant proposing a procedure to break up adhesions !...

Last reply
  • Big Toe Fusion Surgery

Last August I had bunion surgery. Six weeks ago I had big toe fusion surgery as the big toe needed to be realigned. Me and the doctor seem to be out of sync. He and I are not communicating. I ran out of pain killers two weeks after surgery, and he would not prescribe more. I was in horrible pain for...

Last reply
  • Bunion surgery

Hi! I am 5 weeks post bunion surgery, 2 screws and one pin. Tailors bunion off my pinky toe. Who else had had this? I was so embarrassed and my foot is swollen but I know it’s early. Just looking to talk

Last reply
  • Big toe replacement

had a big toe joint replacement 9 weeks ago.. it was complicated as I had put off for 4 years, by which time the toe was badly dislocated and had a large cyst. The bone had to be filled and capped with metal then the new joint.  I felt okay to try and walk in my walking boots, but now have sharp...

Last reply
  • Minimally invasive bunion surgery Brisbane Australia

I live in Brisbane (Australia) and have been reading about bunion surgery for almost 2 years. I'd like to have both feet done. It looks like keyhole surgery is less pain and faster recovery but I could only find 1 dr in Brisbane who does it and there are not a lot of reviews about him. Did anyone...

Last reply
  • 22 Days Post Surgery - How long will I need the pain meds?

I am 22 days post surgery.  This is the 3rd surgery for the left foot.  I have had 2 bunion removals on this foot about 30 years ago.  I started have pain in the ball of foot and tried a lot of different things to avoid surgery. Officially, it's called metatarsalgia.  It occurred...

Last reply
  • Chevron osteotomy 2 days ago..OUCH!!!

Hello, Im new to the group. My name is Deidre and I am 47 years old. I have had this bunion on my left foot that has gotten worse over the past few months. I saw a surgeon on April 3 and he said I could keep trying the methods that havent been working or he could break the bone, realign it and put a...

Last reply
  • Bunion Scarf Aiken

After a long time I am having my foot op on Wednesday (should have been last Wednesday but was cancelled at last minute). I am concerned about the pain and I am concerned about recovery time and getting back to work. I have a desk job. I dont get much sick pay and i know after a few weeks it will stop. ...

Last reply
  • do you think hiking activities should be limited ?

Hi all! I am new here. I am planning to have an operation in January next year. I have problems on my both feets. Since there is a huge bunion on one of them it affects the other too. I tried to ignore an operation need  but I need to increase my life quality as it is causing always some new problems...

Last reply
  • Walking after 6 weeks bunionectomy

Hi Friends, For those of you who had only one foot done, I am wondering how you are feeling at 6 weeks. I have been walking for about 10 days in the aircast, as I had the surgery 6 weeks ago yesterday, but my foot is still sore and hurts, and I have severe sciatica in my good leg from sitting around...

Last reply
  • 23 year old had bunion surgery

Hello! I am 23 years old and I had bunion surgery, I had been contemplating doing this because I kept reading mixed reviews but I thought this would be the best time to do it since I’m young and apparently have a quicker ability to heal. I had both my feet done to get it over with. I recommend getting...

Last reply
  • Having 1st mtp fusion and 2-4 toe pinning in 2 weeks

Hi, have been reading all your posts with some trepidation, self employed, live alone, 62, active and fit, but increasingly painful feet have sent me to the surgeon to hopefully get my life back, or at least not be sidelined to the couch for my remaining years. Bought an iwalk 2 to help me with mobility...

Last reply
  • Big tod fusion and Weils osteotomy...

I had the above surgury on my left foot on March 1st after a previous surgery left me walking on the balls of my feet.  I'm now 9 weeks post surgery and while the big toe seems to bd doing ok my 2nd toe swells so much that it sticks upwards....equally the toe and top of my foot are really quite...

Last reply
  • Cough & Cold before surgery

I have my foor op on Wednesday. On Saturday I came fown with a cold, and it knocked me out. Its Monday evening now and I still have a very slight cold left, but I have a cough which happens periodically (coughing fit). Do you think I can still have the surgery. (scarf bunion op) I have to phone the hospital...

Posted
  • When were all your surgeries and how are you all getting on?

Hi everyone, Hope you're all healing and doing really well x I thought it would be interesting to get to know others at similar points in their recovery and hear of their experience so far...also to hear from people who are further along the recovery line and how they feel as each week progresses....

Last reply
  • Still swollen 7 weeks post op - is this normal?

Hi. 7 weeks ago I had a bunion removal and big toe re-alignment.  I’m now walking in very wide, soft trainers but I’m still unable to put my foot flat on the ground. The underneath of my foot is really swollen on the side of the op.  It almost feels as though there is a ball that I’m stepping...

Last reply
  • My bunion surgery expirience! As a 14 year old girl:)

Hi everybody! I wasn't so sure if I was going to write about this here, but I think it's the best. Im Yagir, a 15 year old girl who at the moment is six (almost seven) months post-op from a bunion surgery. I had have been waiting for this surgery since I got diagnosed with Hallux Valgus in 2009....

Last reply
  • Foot great! Pain everywhere else

Hi all Eight weeks into bunion and instep fusion. I'm still in pot with one crutch. I've still 4 more weeks in the cast. My foot is great, no pain. It's the rest of my body! When I wake up in a morning I'm not sure which set of joints hurts the most. My back, when it goes into spasm...

Posted
  • Advice please

i had bunion surgery 2 weeks tomorrow and am due to have the stitches removed tomorrow. My question is do I continue to wear the boot and what about weight bearing? The information sheet I received is not clear.  Many thanks in advance.

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.