Skip to content

Hallux Valgus (Bunions)

Also known as Bunions

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • What about the other foot?

Hi all I'm 6 weeks into what I think will be a process of minimum 16 weeks before I consider work. The foot I've had surgery on looks like a foot. A bit battle scared but straight. My other foot each time I look at it looks more deformed, twisted and ugly as days go by. It hurts too. How long...

Last reply
  • Walking after 6 weeks bunionectomy

Hi Friends, For those of you who had only one foot done, I am wondering how you are feeling at 6 weeks. I have been walking for about 10 days in the aircast, as I had the surgery 6 weeks ago yesterday, but my foot is still sore and hurts, and I have severe sciatica in my good leg from sitting around...

Last reply
  • To boot or not to boot post-bunion surgery?

Hi everyone, I had my right foot bunion done on Wednesday, just a few days ago, and I don't know what to do about walking because they gave me a boot and just one crutch and I walked out of the surgery (with no pain... but that's because the ankle block still hadn't worn off.... it did soon...

Last reply
  • anyone ever get nerve damage

I have posted this problem before I with concern of this new burning feeling in my foot. This is my 4week,( no weightberring total of 8 wks) and I am still having this burning fire feeling in my foot. It's not just a little burning. Which I do have sometimes, but at most times it's really bad....

Last reply
  • 6 months post op and still struggling

I had my surgery in October with 2 screws/wires inserted. Prior to my op I was fairly fit, being an active gym member, running and playing netball. 6 months later I can do very little apart from using an exercise bike. Although I can deal with that in the long term, I just want to be able to walk properly....

Last reply
  • Minimally invasive bunion surgery Brisbane Australia

I live in Brisbane (Australia) and have been reading about bunion surgery for almost 2 years. I'd like to have both feet done. It looks like keyhole surgery is less pain and faster recovery but I could only find 1 dr in Brisbane who does it and there are not a lot of reviews about him. Did anyone...

Last reply
  • Post yoga possible? Joint flexibility?

I’m 37 and have had a bunion for as long as I can remember, worsened after pregnancies. It was never painful until the last few years. It is usually better with supportive shoes and I don’t care about the cosmetic side. I mostly get pain in my toe joint...not on the bunion. I notice it when I’m on my...

Last reply
  • When were all your surgeries and how are you all getting on?

Hi everyone, Hope you're all healing and doing really well x I thought it would be interesting to get to know others at similar points in their recovery and hear of their experience so far...also to hear from people who are further along the recovery line and how they feel as each week progresses....

Last reply
  • Lapidus Bunionectomy

I’m having a Lapidus Bunionectomy next week and would love feedback on pain level on days 1,2,3, etc. how long were you non weight bearing. Would you have the surgery again?

Last reply
  • Recovery after big toe fusion

On 31st January I had big toe fusion performed on my left foot, together with Weil osteotomies on my second and third toes.  This was because I had a severe bunion (36 degrees) and a hammer toe, so the surgery was quite extensive, taking over three hours. My right foot has already been corrected,...

Last reply
  • Post-op

Hi Everyone. I had a bunion op and big toe alignment 4 weeks ago. I still have to wear the special shoe for another 2 weeks.  I’m managing to get about a bit more now and can get around the house to do jobs etc but I tried to call to Morrisons yesterday with my husband and had to go sit back in...

Last reply
  • Union and instep surgery

I'm having the present pot removed on Monday after 6 weeks. If everything is healing I'll get a new pot and boot. No more hopping and I will get about without crutches. I'm wondering what to expect. I've been more or less pain free for about two weeks. My toes have been a mess with peeling...

Posted
  • Removal of plate and screws

Has anyone had their plate and screws removed from the big toe? After two and a half years and four ops I'm having them removed as they are too painful and making my foot swell, has anyone had problems after the removal of plate and screws? Thanks

Last reply
  • Advice about bunion surgery

Hi, I am 61 and I am contemplating bunion and hammer toe surgery in the next few months. I struggle to find shoes that are comfortable and would love to hear from anyone who has undergone similar surgery. I also have a crooked toe which needs to be straightened. Please let me know about your experiences.

Last reply
  • Week 12 and doing great!

This will be a week 12 for me since my big toe fusion and the first two months were absolutely horrible but with time and lots of icing and elevation my foot is doing great. Went to the doctor yesterday to get my final x-ray so I can go back to work and it looks to be 100% fused. I deliver mail...

Posted
  • Foot surgery

i had bunion and two hammer toes operated on 3 weeks ago and have suddenly started having tremendous stabbing pains in the instep of my foot.  I had to have a revision operation as the first time the bunion op didn’t work well.  Has anyone else experienced this sort of pain and what have you...

Last reply
  • Therapy after bunion sugery

I just started therapy after being off my foot for 8 weeks. I had a large bunion removed and have a screw and a wire that are permanent. Transitioning from a knee scooter to a  walker was hard in the begining but becoming easier each day. I am courious as to what some other experiences have been...

Posted
  • Should I get bunion surgery?

I have always had bunions. I am 20 years old and I believe my bunions are genetic. I hate them and feel like they are getting bigger. I can never wear sandals or revealing shoes because of this but currently they do not hurt. I would love to have them removed, but I do not want unbareable pain and damage...

Last reply
  • Hammertoe Surgery - my experience and some helpful tips

Hello I had Hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago on both feet, 6 toes in total and I thought I would share my experience as I had so many questions and needed more information and "googled" obsessively to find out more - so here is my experience. Surgery Day I arrived at the hospital and was quickly...

Last reply
  • Boredom

I am so very bored with cabin fever, I can't stand it. Had minor bunion surgery. Stithen out in 3 days. I am on my eleventh day. Only taking regular ibuprofen. Bruising is moderate to high. Can get around walking pretty good. I wonder should I changed driving with the right boot on. Any opinions?

Last reply
  • Foot surgery

I just had big toe fusion, 3 hammertoes, and bunion by little toe surgery 3 weeks ago. Today is first day I can put weight on it. Looking to see how recovery will be. Today my foot turned purple by end of day.

Last reply
  • Big toe fusion after bunion surgery, can I run again?

I had a buionectomy about 8 weeks ago. It was a severe bunion that could only be corrected by fusing my big toe straight as my whole foot was deformed.  While it looks better I am still very swolen and can not wear any shoes. Will I ever be able to run or dance again since I will never be able to...

Last reply
  • Toes hurting 8 weeks post op bunionectomy

I had bunionectomy 8 weeks ago. I developed a neuromas under my pinky toe. However today all of my toes (except my big toe) are hurting. Deep throbbing pain deep where the toes insert into the foot. No swelling. The ball of my foot under my pinky and 3rd toe are still very tender when I walk barefoot. ...

Last reply
  • Bunion pain

Hi i had my surgery done on the 4th of feb on my left foot ide had my other foot done about 2 years ago now finally geting my plaster boot off tomorow had it on for 3 months this time did anyone else have it on for that long? And this one is so much more painful

Last reply
  • Foot pain

I had surgery Oct 2017 to correct a hammertoe and bunion. Doctor moved bone over where bunion was and removed bone in the hammertoe and replaced with cadaver bone. Now have plate and screws in foot. My bones are not fusing and is painful. It’s been 6months now and have a new foot pain. Including depression...

Last reply
  • Steroid injections

I had a Steroid injection in Feb 2018. It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced.  After 36 hours of intense pain I was back to normal, with no relief whatever. This continued for two weeks plus.  I then recalled I had gained some relief for the arthritic pain by stretching my toe...

Last reply
  • Hallux Valgus & Hammer Toe Surgery Gone Wrong

I may be in the minority as I have searched various sites and yet to find anyone with the problems I have On 28th August 2013 I had both feet operated on. The left foot bunion removed and big toe straightened (this foot wasn't causing problems but surgeon did it as a precaution) Right foot bunion...

Last reply
  • Bunion surgery 10 months ago.

My big toe is now permenantly raised off the ground and is crossing over the next toe. Any one else had this and what can be done. I am also waiting to have an ankle screw taken out which has been agony . Any comments greatly appreciated.

Last reply
  • Robyn Robinson

Hi Barbara, if I were you I would go back to the hospital and ask for another shoe. this is the only way you can manage properly  good luck !  

Posted
  • Bunion surgery

I am 2 weeks into recovery from major bunion surgery on left foot. I am getting around when necessary with one of those heel load bearing boots. The trouble is that because that foot is so elevated I walk lob sided, this in turn is giving me back ache. Any suggestions to help with the small amount of...

Last reply
  • Bunionectomy

Hello,  I'm seriously thinking of having a bunionectomy ( both feet if possible)..For you who have had this surgery, How long is the recovery time?  My job requires me to be on my feet for 8 hours.  I just don't know what to do.  Plus I'm a very active 58 year old that...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.