5 weeks post op - numb big toe

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, I'm 5 weeks post op fusion MTP joint & my big toe is still numb, more feeling on underside but very little if any on top of toe above the scar. Anyone else experience this & will feeling return? I'm massaging It often. Any other tips? Cheers Fiona 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Fiona I am about 5 months on now from a 2nd metatarsal fusion with pin and screws.  Yes I have had times when it feels numb.  It does get better.   It is I think when the nerves are not quite right yet.  Hope this helps 
    • Posted

Thanks for that Carol, as everyone says its a patience game! 
  • Posted

Fiona I agree with Carol. I am also  5 months post op from this procedure. Still get a bit of tingling now and again. I had the other foot done 6 days ago and hope for a similar recovery. I might add I had a plaster slipper on for 6 weeks to allow the bones to set. It seems most others get a special shoe for heel walking. 
    • Posted

Hi Christine, thanks, I have a heel walking shoe & improving, still get swelling if I don't rest foot enough, but numbness is there all the time, I expect I just need to be patient. Are you walking normally on 1st foot now? Fiona
    • Posted

That's great to hear, even though my consultant assured me I will be walking normally, I am fairly apprehensive, especially as I walk a lot! 
  • Posted

Hi. I am 8 weeks post scarf and akin and still numb next to scar but it has improved in the last 3-4 weeks. Toe is still very stiff though. I try and massage it a bit and flex it when I am in the bath which helps.

hope it improves soon.

sue

• Posted

Thanks Sue, once I get rid of the boot & can drive, I intend to go swimming & do some pool walking in hope that that helps 
  • Posted

Hi Fiona, I am also almost 6 weeks post op bi lateral scarf and akins. on my more severe foot I have a tingling sensation under my big toe when i massage it. I also have numb areas. I saw my surgeon on Monday and he said this is normal considering the trauma that the feet have gone through. All should resolve itself in time. (I hope). My feet are also still swollen and I'm told I can start to walk in a normal shoe. Trouble is I can only get my feet into some big velcro sandals. Not a good look at this time of year! 
    • Posted

Thanks for that Bev, that seems a common theme trying to get shoes to fit, I have crocs so hope they'll be ok to start with. Good luck with your continuing recovery, Fiona 
  • Posted

Yes I have no feeling on the top of my toe, it might be further but won't know until my appointment tomorrow for first X-ray and dressing change xxx
  • Posted

Hi Fiona, I've got my appointment for fusion through for the 7th April, very nervous as to wether I'm making the right choice, SHOES and RECOVERY are my main concern, I'm only 42 and two boys under 10! My other half and others will help but I hate asking and always just do things myself.😁 Helen x
    • Posted

Hi. I am in similar situation although I waited from initial op suggested in 2010 until this year to get the children to more independent age. It wasn't easy at first and as we had not anticipated the recovery time it came as a surprise that I was literally useless for first 2-3 weeks. 

Preparation is the key. Get food in freezer and teach them to fend for themselves for a while. At 8 weeks post op my husband is still doing more than previously and it has been great in terms of spreading the load.  Make sure you have snacks and drinks accessible to you immediately post op as this was a learning curve for us. If friends can pop in and make you a hot drink now and again that is also great.

my philosophy is that there will always be a reason to put it off but wanted to get it done in my forties so I have time to recover and enjoy pain free (hopefully) walking and dancing in my life!

i wish you luck and pain free feet!

• Posted

Hi Helen, I agree with everything Sue says, preparation is key. Meals in the freezer & as much help as you can get, you will literally be unable to do anything other than go to the loo the first 2 weeks. I am lucky in having no kids at home & a star of a husband who has done everything. Def get kids prepared they'll probably enjoy the novelty of helping out! Check out the other threads in this forum but patience is key, there is no doubt the recovery period is long but variable, some people recover more quickly than others. I'll let you know how I get on once I get rid of the boot, but I am prepared for a lot if swelling & wearing crocs or getting larger trainers so I can loosen laces. Not looking forward to going back to work as on feet all day & 12 hr shifts at w/e's & night!! On the plus side I'm seeing improvement in levels of swelling now, can do more & more each day without having to elevate & rest foot. Just be positive & think of the improvment at the end of it all, good luck. Fiona
  • Posted

I am almost14 weeks from scarf op and I can tell you my big toe is stil  numb,   The top side is worse than underneath. It's still very stiff, this does worry me as I can only get into a few pairs of shoes.... Do have a look at my backwards threads,  I would not worry at this stage. Physio helps but is not a miracle cure as I'm finding out. To walk any distance  is still painful. I'm having to push myself to keep walking,  I do wonder is this doing more bad than good.  So do not worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.