Pain 8 weeks post Bunion Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had scarf & akin osteotomy (bunion surgery) and 2nd toe shortening almost 8 weeks ago.

I'm still getting bad pain, and severe shooting pains. Anyone else in the same situation? I expected to be pain-free by now. Am finding it difficult!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i am 11.5 weeks and still have a lot of pain and shooting nerve pain in my toes, especially when walking. Apparently this is normal and it will eventually subside

• Posted

Thanks for responding. I'm in need of a bit of moral support as I'm normally really active so finding this tough 😃

I'm now 9 weeks and can't walk far at all without major pain under the bunion site, and still with a crutch/crutches.

Did you have a purple, swollen foot in the mornings and at night? I can't actually put my foot flat on the floor at all. Can't get into trainers either, just a velcro Ecco sandal.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I just reached 20 weeks double bunion and 4 hammertoe corrections. I understand when you say you need a bit of moral support. I was really down and shocked at my inability to walk properly and the purple coloring on both feet, even just being up and about for a few minutes, which seemed like eternity. I wasn't able to put my feet completely on the floor until around 12-13 weeks and even that was just for a few minutes. I talked to my surgeon about all this and he said it was normal and the recovery takes a long time. I was measuring my experience with others who had quick recoveries and started to feel like something was terribly wrong. I am finally starting to feel like things are turning around but I am nowhere nearly as active as I was before the surgery. I wore only velcro open toe slides most of the time up until around 14 weeks and was only able to get into wide foot trainers at physio for around 30 minutes each session. Now at 20 weeks I'm able to wear the trainers for a few hours per day and am able to walk outside slowly without any assistance. Socks are no-go as my feet and toes feel too compressed and pain starts setting in.

I am still uncomfortable and feel pain when I push myself too hard. The bunion sites seem ok (no scarring, as I had minimally invasive procedures) but the corrected hammertoes, also shortened, are still giving me some problems. Am able to address this somewhat with daily taping as instructed by the surgeon and I hope over time I won't have any long-term issues. My goal is to do a light jog when I reach the six month point, which is a modest goal considering how active I used to be.

Your situation sounds very familiar to me as I had also expected to be much more advanced at around the 3-month mark and woke up disappointed every day when I was still uncomfortable with purple feet and swelling. And this was with elevating my feet nearly 20 hours/day including during sleep. The wrap around ice gel packs helped with swelling and pain but not with my overall frustration about the recovery time. For the purple color and bruising, I used arnica lotion, which did sooth the areas and gave some relief.

Would be good to hear how things progress with your recovery. Things will get better but may take longer than we think. Take care for now.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've been having such a difficult time, Chrissy. You're very brave having both done at once; maybe that's why your recovery is taking longer?

Since my last post, I can now almost put my foot flat on the floor, but am still walking with one crutch. Am having physio which seems to be helping, and doing all my foot and ankle exercises. Have gone back to painkillers as recommended by my GP, so I can get moving as much as possible. Are you still taking any med's? If not, it may help you to be more active quicker. It's so boring, isn't it!

You've reassured me re the purple swelling etc, thanks for that. I'm seeing my surgeon again this week so hopefully all will be ok.

Hopefully soon, we'll both be more active again.

Keep me posted 😃

• Posted

Hi there,

I know you wrote this 11 months ago, so please excuse me writing now.

I had a bunion op 8 weeks ago with a hammertoe correction.

Everytime I put my foot to the floor it swells and turns purple, often going numb at the same time.

Did you ever get to the bottom of what caused this? I'm having to elevate the foot nearly all day and night.

Very little improvement.

Would love to hear when your symptoms improved and how you're doing now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.