Bunion post op

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had a scarf/akin osteotomy for hallux valgus just over 4 weeks ago now as a day case surgery under general anaesthetic.

I was told that on discharge that i needed to keep the leg elevated but to get up every hour and walk for 5 mins. I was given lansoprazole, paracetamol and ibuprofen.

I was seen 2 weeks later to have the stitches removed. The wound had not closed so the surgeon applied steri strips and told me to try to wear my own trainer and continue the 5 mins in each hour walking, keeping the foot elevated the rest of the time.

I was unable to even get my foot in my trainer and on my 2nd post op visit when asked why i said i was in a lot of pain. I was xrayed and told everything looked okay and to continue the 5 mins walk in each hour but that i must keep my foot compressed in my trainer or even an ugg boot. i was given antibiotics ( flucloxicillin). The steri strips were also removed and just a dressing applied at this appointment.

At home after this appointment I managed to get my foot into my trainer but it was very very painful however on doctors advise I would wear it. but i only did this when i got up to walk (still only 5 mins in the hour).

Next visit a week later (now 4 weeks post op) I was told by doctor that i must keep the trainer on all the time to keep the fot compressed and not just when walking I tried to explain that it was very painful. the wound has still not healed at this stage. The dressing was replaced and i was given another 1 week course of antibiotics this time co-amoxiclav .

I wore my trainer as instructed but i was in excruciating pain.

I then contacted an orthopaedic surgeon whose advise was very different. he said that i should not be wearing my own shoes this early on and that i must not walk unless to use the loo.

does anyone have their experience they could share as i am really worried.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.