Dr. Visit

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone, finally went to the N.P she tallied up the symptoms as peri but she is going to run test on the thyroid, we discussed some of the menopausal issues but we focused more on my diabetes issues, She also said we will discuss the peri issues when I go back, essentially she said as far as the peri issues, its all apart of the syndrome, and unless I choose HRTS which she is willing to prescribe, its only homeopathic solutions. She did not think I had arthritis or R.A, just tendonitis aggravated by menopause. She did say menopause aggravates diabetes. So, I am getting A-1C check also when we do all the labs. We discussed my anxiety, so tomorrow I am seeing a therapist about my fears of medical treatment and medical testing. As she said, you have to get these tests done and you cannot live in fear and dread and refuse to get yourself checked out because of dread and fear. I have gained more weight which totally sucks and I guess that will be addressed next visit too, in the mean time I have decided to start calorie counting. I hate how I get ravenously hungry this plays a big role in the weight gain, since my knee injury I have not been able to walk. Anyway, I do feel better since the visit, of course more anxietyabout the test next week and next month the colonoscopy which she recommends too.  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hiya

I was like that for months, I had blood test done and thyroid test and diabetes test which was clear, I was shocked to hear I had put on 2 stone in a year !!!!! I just couldn't believe it,My anxiety and panic attacks were getting worse, no sleep no sex and I was only 45 when it started, I'm on anti -depressants Sertraline which has helped a lot but after a chat with my GP and more tests I am now on a low dose HRT which I have been on for about a month, just started to notice the hot flushes not so bad so fingers crossed I might actually be getting back to normal which haven't felt in ages. Good luck to you x

• Posted

Yep, I agree with you about the weight gain, I have gained almost 30 pounds in a year, not good at all, I am starting my diet tomorrow and will do a serious calorie count, thats how I have lost in the past.  I do have diabetes and my numbers are probably higher than normal mainly because the insurance company stopped paying for my one medication which helped a great deal, so I have only been on th eone, plus the weight gain probably has not helped my sugars at all. The knee injury has only aggravated it and I did not realize menopause and diabetes basically aggravate each other. I am concerned about the thyroid because I do have a hard time losing weight. More than anything, I am happy to be getting therapy, I need it I am a total mess mentally and I know it.  I may end up on a low does HRT too, I will see how it goes.;
  • Posted

Well done, you will feel better just knowing that the problems are being addressed.
    • Posted

I agree, but its not going to be an overnight fix. One day at a time.  Thanks
  • Posted

Hi lennie, is a NP a naturopathic dr?

if so you are lucky, we have little access to actual naturopathic Drs here in NZ.

Why do you have to have a colonoscopy?

I have to do a stool inflammation test which of course I'm too scared to do in case it leads UP to a colonoscopy sad

• Posted

HI Ella, nope, i wish, she is a nurse practitioner who specializes in diabetes and family medicine. She is very good. She brought up the colonoscopy because I am 55 and I never had one, even though there is not a history of cancer in my family she said the western diet which is crappy and ate it most of my life can lead to it and when its caught early or the polys they can treat it much easier and its very curable. However, I told her I would think about it because I have not had those issues with my bowels. I see her again in a few weeks and I will decide.
    • Posted

From my understanding the prep is worse than the procedure. Drinking all of that solution reeks.
    • Posted

My hubby has had two colonoscopies and the toilet was his best friend while the liquid worked it's way through but he was okay. I just wanted to say good luck with all your tests lennie. Fingers crossed for you and that you'll now be able to focus on making yourself feel better x. 
    • Posted

Thanks Buggly, I am seeing a therapist Thursday also to help me resolve my fears and anxieties. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.