Elbow replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor referred me to university for an elbow replacement they turned me down without seeing me.  Then he referred me to another and I did get in to see that doc.  He said I def need a replacement but because of my age he suggested I wait a few years.  I don’t think I can do that.  I crushed me elbow 11 years ago, I’ve had 14 surgeries.  I have nerve damage and my hand is deteriorating.   What would you do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

get a second opinion and pray hard about it!  i take it from the comment they said to you you are younger than 60?  They say in all the literature about elbow replacements, the younger crowd needs more revisions because of a higher activity level.  Most of us come to the place of a elbow replacement because we have a "end stage" problem of some sort.. Elbow replacements are not like knees or hips, they are not as strong due to being a dependent joint. You can only lift 2-5 pounds for the rest of your life, and that may even be too much. Read through some of the past discussions on this topic to see what people have been through, maybe you will find your answer there. I myself had it done 18 months ago, have had squeaking & flopping from the beginning, and now am looking at a revision already for bushing wear! I did gain mobility and no pain though, in trade off for severe limitations on it's use and this bushing problem. Good luck in your decision!

• Posted

I’m 50 and been asking for some relief to the degenerative condition to my right elbow   It’s my prominent hand as in right handed and it’s been painful and frustrating with the coordination and dropping of things. I had one open surgery to clean the radial head and take away bone growth from previous damage. Only relieved the locking a bit, but it’s now starting to go back to how it was. I would push for it to be done and go to a private consultation if needed. I’m waiting for a second opinion to have both heads replaced and resurfaced. I’m trying to convince them as my muscle memory is excellent, the ligaments, and tendons are all good. 
  • Posted

If I was you I would get a second opinion from somebody like Dr Shawn O'Driscoll at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. I've had many surgeries in Europe and only the Mayo Clinic fixed me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.