Endometrial Hyperplasia

Posted , 2 users are following.

3 weeks ago I had pelvic scan which resulted in a reading that "confused" the gp.  I was referred to a gynecologist and ultimatley had a hysteroscopy and biopsies of uterus and a polyp removed.  To say I've been scared and frantic is very much an understatement.  The agony of waiting for the results and feeling of fear has been overwhelming, despite the fact that I have a wonderful supportive husband and family, I still have felt lonely and desperate.  My results have come back as Endometrial Hyperplasia with no atypia and no sign of cancer at all.

I have various options the most radical being hysterectomy, the other 2 options are six months of progestogen tablets with follow up to check hyperplasia has gone, the other is to have a mirena coil inserted.  I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar or same situation. I am 50 years old and had irregular bleeds.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had something similar. I had an endometrial ablation. Worked like a charm easiest recovery ever in my life. Didn't hurt a bit and my periods were much lighter
    • Posted

Hi Dee

I don't know if I've replied to you or not.  But have did you say your condition was Endometrial Hyperplasia?

Thank you for reply

• Posted

Hi Emily i had the same as you and went on to have the tablets for a year. Yes it did get rid of it but 2 years later when i hadnt had a period for 18 months - menopausal - i had a very slight bleed which turned out to be the hyperplasia which was stage 2 cancer. Had a full hysterectomy which i ao wish id done back then. They r hoping they have got it all but warned it cud come back at the top. so on 3 monthly checks. I hope u get sorted but my advice wud b just get rid of it and then it cant happen and the op was not bad at all. Wishing u all the best x
    • Posted

I'm sorry you've been through so much.  Can I ask was your original diagnosis simple hyperplasia with no atypia and no sign of cancer or was it atypical?

Thank you for response

• Posted

The original diagnosis a couple of years back was hyperplasia but I can't remember the thickness level.  I think it may have shown a slight sign of atypia but after taking Norethestirone for about a year in the end, the thickening of my womb went back to normal after the tablets and there was no sign of atypia cells.  The Consultant then said that because of my age I would be going through my menopause and once that happened I needn't worry.  This was private healthcare.  I then went about 18 months and simply spotted and went to my GP and he rushed me through in two weeks and I had the hysteroscopy where they found a polyp with abnormal cells and then this malignancy in the lining of my womb.  All very, very scary and yes I panicked like mad.  That's why I would say to anyone that reaches our age and things are going on with your womb, have the hysterectomy and then you eliminate any chance of it turning.  I was not aware of all these risk and it is very frightening.  Have a good chat with your Consultant or GP so that you make a fully informed decision and if you do opt not to have the hysterectomy, try to get some regular checkups in.  Don't mean to panic you but just make you aware as I wasn't.  Anyway thankfully your diagnosis is good news.  All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.