Epsom salts for Chronic Hives

Posted , 10 users are following.

This really helped me when the hives would get really bad and itchy.. I soak for 40 mins in a warm to hot bath with 2 cups of epsom salts.. I watch the hives slowly get pale and go away.. I was shocked it works so well.. I have also had magnesium to my vitamin box.. The hives do not come back or bother me for a day or two.. I also used apple cider vinegar on them and that relieved them but then i got so many I couldnt put that much vinegar on me without smelling horrible.. but it did relieve them.. and they went away.. Now these are not cures but only ways to get thru the awful itch..

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes the Drs added  magnesium vitamin D and vitamin C to my regiment ! I have not tried the Epson salt bath because if I meant warm water for too long I get hives so I just take quick cool showers and get out LOL
    • Posted

Julia that is exactly what happened to me a hot shower and i had a bad breakout. But i tried the epsom salts with a bad breakout and i was shocked they went away and i sat in warm to hot water as i love a hot bath or shower..I had hives so big and so itchy the first time i tried this.. i was shocked.. it may not work for everyone but i was despirate to feel better.
  • Posted

Well at this point everything is worth a try! Like I said good days and bad 
    • Posted

Let me know what happens if you do try it.. I was itchy last night so took one and had a couple of hives on my legs but they went away after it.. yes anything is worth a try instead of having to take meds for itching.. 
  • Posted

Hi jana94738,

I agree that Epsom salt is helpful. I would recommend bathing in tepid to lukewarm water since hot H2O may worsen the hives. I've had a bit of relief with Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal in the shower or in a bath. I found cold compresses and ice or ice packs extremely helpful when I was covered from head to toe in hives. Nothing else topically has worked to control the itching. Prednisone has been a godsend, but I gained a lot of weight taking it (I blew up as the expression goes). I didn't find aloe vera gel to be helpful for me, but I recommend people different products and/or remedies assuming that you use common sense or professional guidance, also.

• Posted

Hi January 20 

I found when i take an epsom salt bath the temperature of water doesnt matter.. I love hot baths and when using the salts in hot water it takes them away .. Now if i take a hot shower it brings them out but of course in showering you cant use epsom salts .. I tried the oatmeal and it did nothing.. Ice helps a little for me but not much.. I did use apple cider vinegar and that helped a lot and took them away.. It is weird what helps one person doesnt help another that is why it is so hard to deal with these.. I feel like i have tried so many things.. Aloe vera gel stops the itching for me..

• Posted

Hello jana94738,

In general, I'd say we all tend to deviate from so-called sound medical advice as individuals b/c hives is a debilitating condition. My allergist has told me numerous times not to scratch, which I have ignored, but I do keep in mind the potential of hyperpigmentation &/or localized infection when scratching and try to have clean hands, use a dedicated bristle brush or tapping vs scratching. Scratching is 2nd nature.

Nothing is ever 100% true for everyone. The medical rationale against hot bathes or showers is that increased body temperature may induce and/or worsen hives b/c nerve fibers in our sweat glands can stimulate release of histamine from specialized cells as body temperature rises. This is also the pathogenesis of cholinergic urticaria or generalized heat urticaria.

I prefer to discuss w/people or patients about potential benefits, outcomes and side-effects from treatment vs stating absolutes like don't scratch, etc. It gives the individual the power to make an informed choice. However, many people just want to be told do this or don't do that.

Generic treatment modalities are usually:

Avoid triggers. ...

Use antihistamines. ...

Apply cool, wet compresses. ...

Take a comfortably cool bath. ...

Wear loose, smooth-textured cotton clothing.

The best to you and any readers,

CG

• Posted

Hi you said you prefer to discuss with people or patients.. I was just wondering if you are a doctor or a nurse..  If so what is the difference between angioedema and anaphylatic shock.. I ended up in the hosptial with angioedema and my throat was closing so they gave an epi shot plus prednisone etc a lot of drugs. Is the the shock the same thing with a different name??
    • Posted

I'm an RN (22 yrs) and a brand-spanking-new family nurse practitioner (FNP).

In short, the difference between angioedema and anaphylaxis is severity or the degree of life-threatening symptoms. Angioedema is typically not life-threatening. Both are mainly caused by an allergic reaction.

The info below is from a credible, peer-reviewed source: The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAIdotcom).

Angioedema

·      Angioedema is swelling in the deep layers of the skin, often seen with urticarial (hives). Angioedema most often occurs in soft tissues such as the eyelids, mouth or genitals [it may also occur only in the arms, legs or around joints).

·      Angioedema is called "acute" if the condition lasts only a short time (minutes to days). This is commonly caused by an allergic reaction to medications or foods.

·      Chronic recurrent angioedema is when the condition returns over a long period of time. It most often does not have an identifiable cause.

Anaphylaxis Overview

Anaphylaxis (an-a-fi-LAK-sis) is a serious, life-threatening allergic reaction. The most common anaphylactic reactions are to foods, insect stings, medications.

If you are allergic to a substance, your immune system overreacts to this allergen by releasing chemicals that cause allergy symptoms.

Anaphylaxis requires immediate medical treatment, including a prompt injection of epinephrine and a trip to a hospital emergency room. If it isn’t treated properly, anaphylaxis can be fatal.

Symptoms

Symptoms of anaphylaxis typically start within 5 to 30 minutes of coming into contact with the allergen to which you are allergic. In some cases it may take more than an hour for you to notice anaphylactic symptoms. Warning signs typically affect more than one part of the body and may include:

•    Red rash, with hives/welts, that is usually itchy (It is possible to have a severe allergic reaction without skin symptoms.)

•    Swollen throat or swollen areas of the body (It is possible to have a severe allergic reaction without skin symptoms.)

•    Wheezing

•    Passing out

•    Chest tightness

•    Trouble breathing, cough

•    Hoarse voice

•    Trouble swallowing

•    Vomiting

•    Diarrhea

•    Stomach cramping

•    Pale or red color to the face and body

•    Feeling of impending doom

Diagnosis

To diagnose your risk of anaphylaxis or to determine whether previous symptoms were anaphylaxis-related, your allergist / immunologist will conduct a thorough investigation of all potential causes. Your allergist will ask for specific details regarding all past allergic reactions.

• Posted

I posted 3 pictures in the previous post showing small hives and areas of angioedema to my legs and right arm near the elbow. I've had angioedema to my lips on 2 different occasions, which was distressing, but not life-threatening.

If I develop shortness of breath, wheezing or chest tightness, I'd inject my Epipen immediately and go to the ED after dialing 911 if I'm alone. Knock on wood, I'll never need to do that.

• Posted

thank you so much for that information.. I dont have an epi pen but i live within 5 mins of a hospital and if I travel out of town i will get one.. tonight i have the hives as it is nearing my xolair shot.. does anyone have this happen.?? 
  • Posted

Hello can you remember how long it took for your hives to go away? Thank you fir your reply.
    • Posted

I still have the hives after over a year.. I am still taking the xolair shots and at times still get the hives they just arent as bad but are itchier it seems.. Now today i only had one hive.. but they are still here..
  • Posted

WOW ok. Well.... my husband after taking our son to his baseball game on friday in Northern Cali, the heat is horrific here. He was out in in the heat for a while.He noticed on Friday night these red bumps under arms and around where his belts holds up his pants. Well he showed me Sunday and now they are all over his body. This habe never happened to him after 31 in half years of marriage. Hmmmm...I wonder since hes still suffering from his stroke last year would that have anything to do with it? He just soak in epsom salt for 2 hours....I dont know...Im going to bug him until he makes apptmt with his doctor. Thank you for your reply.
    • Posted

Yes Good idea to see a dr.. I hope they can help him.. I do like epsom salt baths they soothe my hives when i get them.. I am sorry he has these.. stay on this site and keep us posted. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.