Extreme morning anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I'm currently on my 13th day of 20mg fluoxetine for anxiety. I can see there have been improvements as generally throughout the day I feel lighter and more in control. I can get to sleep okay at night, but wake up frequently (although this isn't abnormal for me). However, I've started waking up earlier and earlier (5:15 this morning) and immediately experience anxiousness. I get the physical symptoms of a pounding heart and elephants in my stomach that make it impossible to go back to sleep, and the more I try, the more I panic about going back to sleep. This wasn't happening before I started taking the medication - which I initially started for my intense daytime anxiety.

Could this be a side effect? If so, has anyone had it and will it subside? Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi Daisy this is normal sideffects of the medication I'm 10 weeks on it 5 weeks on 40mg this Friday going through all that and shake terribly legs and hands especially

• Posted

Hi Daisy

i started 20mg fluoxetine last year in October. And what you are describing was happening to me. Thats the way meds work, they initially increasing anxiety until it balances in your body.

I was going through this ups and downs for 9 months - very scary and ugly mornings and good relaxed afternoons - hopping it will balance until recent increase to 40mg

This dose was a game changer for me.

So my advise will be to wait at least 12 weeks, give time for mefs to balance. And if nothing changes - speak to your doctor about increase, as they explain me 20mg is very low dose and usually not much helpful for anxiety.

But what you going through right now is normal

• Posted

Thank you for your reassurance and advice. I will bear this in mind. 9 months is a long time I'm sorry you went through that and I'm glad the new dose has helped.

• Edited

hi Daisy I too have the morning anxiety I'm on meds 12 weeks 6 weeks on 40mg how is your morning anxiety I still shake also and lots of negative overthinking thanks

• Edited

Hi Robert,

The morning anxiety has subsided quite a lot for me. I'm 4 and a half weeks in now on 20mg. I hope your side effects subside soon, hopefully now you've hit the 6 week mark they will.

• Posted

hey guys would be nice to talk to you about this as im on day 9 and man its tough going

• Posted

hi! it really isn't fun at the start, I've seen your other post and the side effect you're describing are completely normal. They will take some time to regulate, but you will get there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.