Extremely low folic acid and fairly low b12

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia about 10 years ago when my b12 level was only around 90.

I was on monthly b12 injections of hydroxocobalamin.

I have recently moved home and moved GP. The practice nurse questioned why i need b12 injections for so long and I was sent for a blood test.

My levels came back as b12 219 and folic acid was severely low at level 1... the doctor (always a different doctor) told me that my b12 level is fine at 219 but said my folic acid is the lowest level he has ever seen in all his years as a GP. He put me on daily folic acid as well as vit D which was also very low.

I am very concerned as I thought folic acid works alongside with b12 but my injections have been stopped. I do not think my b12 level is as high as it should be and I am so worried about the neurological effects of not having enough b12. When i was diagnosed 10 years ago I was so very poorly, could hardly walk upstairs, had to crawl up, my memory was terrible, I was under neurology at my local hospital who put me on monthly b12 injections as I was so ill with it..... No one at this new surgery has explained why my folic acid is so low... could it be connected to the previous pernicious anemia?

Any advice would be so great, so worried...thank you. Lou x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

ive been having b12 injections for 20 years mine was 90 on diagnosis too, you need them your body wont suddenly start making b12 youll just get ill again.

• Posted

Hi Sandra, thanks for reply. Yes thats what I am worried about but cant seem to make gp understand this, they think if level is higher than before then you must be fine now.. joke

• Posted

Explaining why your folic acid is so low is easy, what are you eating and drinking daily. I think its important to try over the counter promotion on this issue. It doesnt matter about now but about the seeds you sow your the future, this includes health wise.

• Posted

i have B12 deficiency with a reading of 124. Pins and needles in the hands horrendous. Tiredness and fatigue in the legs awful. lots of ppl suggest folic acid too ? Will this help ?

• Posted

i have B12 deficiency with a reading of 124. Pins and needles in the hands horrendous. Tiredness and fatigue in the legs awful. lots of ppl suggest folic acid too ? Will this help ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.