Extremely nervous about upcoming oophorectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone. I came across this forum while doing research for an upcoming surgery.

I am 57 years old and am scheduled for a bilateral oophorectomy next week. In 2003 i had a hysterectomy and a couple of years later developed ovarian cysts that have never went away. I have had yearly ultrasounds and CA-125 blood tests as follow-ups. Back in December, my CA-125 was at 88 and now it has gone up to 103. Because of my age and possibly being postmenopausal (am now getting the odd flushing now and then) my OBGYN strongly recommends having my ovaries and cysts removed. I should mention that my mom had two breast cancers, so i am at risk for that.

I have been everywhere on the internet about ovarian preservation. There are so many negatives about having your ovaries removed and the need to continue getting the hormones that your ovaries produce even after menopause. The risk of dementia(my mom had Alzheimer's), osteoporisis, cardiac disease just to name a few. HRT is not an option for me.

I really need input from anyone who has been through this and how they feel years later. Did it make a difference in your overall health other than the hot flashes.

I wish I had not made the decision so quickly before doing all this research. It's terrifying what I am reading.

Thank-you for any information you can provide.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hello sorry for your condition honestly am also worried and need of the same answer like yours am 38 and one month back my left ovary was removed due to cyst.after googling am very very upset.did u have your surgery how are you now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.