Eyelash Loss

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I started losing eyelashes about 4 months before I was diagnosed with blepharitis.  My doctor thought it was due to my anemia and put me on iron pills.  I have now been treating my blepharitis for the last 4 weeks with antibiotic ointment, warm compress/massage, tea tree oil/baby shampoo eyelash cleaning and upping my omega3’s.  Although my eyes feel a bit better and are also a little less swollen I am loosing even more eyelashes than before. 

I haven’t been able to find a lot of information about eyelash loss and blepharitis and I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar- where your eyes get better but your eyelashes fall out even more.  I wonder if maybe the eyelash loss and blepharitis are not related after all and I need to look at my iron levels again.

Thank you for any help! 

erin

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Erin, I have had blepharitis for many years.  All my eyelashes are gone,.  When they grow back it's underneath the lid and I have to keep them pulled out.  It's very painful at times when the lash is rubbing my eye and I can't find it.  I have had to go to emergency several times to get it pulled out by a eye doctor.  I do warm compresses, massage, tears during the day.  I use Tobredex off and on as needed and also anti-biotic ointments when needed.  My eyes are blurry a lot - that comes and goes which I hate.  I also use comfort drops during the day too.  I also have a drop which is a gel that I use sometimes at night.  My eyes tear all the time as well.  It has been terrible to have this condition, but I just try to do the best I can.  I also take fish oil - omega 3s 1000 mg a day.  Could you tell me how much of that you take and if you think it is doing you  any good.  Thanks so much,.

• Posted

Also Erin, I think your eyelashes are due to the Blepritis.  I don't believe I would take anymore of the iron if I were you.  Your iron levels may be okay, so you wouldn't want to harm your liver by taking iron that you don't need.....

• Posted

Hi Erin. My eyelashes on the top lids also fell out from Blepharitis. My doctor told me they might not grow back, but then I started using the Wet Ones wipes (see earlier discussions) and they grew back in. Some lashes aren't curved the right way, but at least they grew in. Hope it helps you, too.

• Posted

My eyelashes are falling out and so are my kids.  How long did you use the wet ones and do you still use them? any info. is appreciated.  I read Lynda's info. about 3 months.

• Posted

Hello darlene43826 im new on here. I have blepharitis as well. Im also a diabetic and my diets not all that great. My eye doc referred me to a plastic surgeon who then prescribed me latisse. It started to work but once my lashes started to grow back the bleph was there and feels like i have paper cuts on my eyelids. Upper and lower. Im so irritated and dont know what else to do or to use. Ive even done the Johnson's baby shampoo was on eyelids and made my own concoction of oils do you have any advice on the wet ones wipes or anything that will work im desperate and quiet frankly im sick of stuff going in my eyes.... EVERYTHING does please help. Also my eyelids itch is that from the bleph?

• Posted

The Wet Ones worked perfectly for me. Most of my eyelashes grew back eventually, but not all. I still use Wet Ones once a day before bedtime to keep it in check. I used it 3 times a day when my Blepharitis was inflamed and bad. I hope it works for you. My eyes are now healed enough to wear strip lashes. (When before they felt like burning sand in them). Good luck.

• Posted

Shannon. Reasearch Manuka Honey for eyes. You won't be sorry. 😁

• Posted

Also I was wondering if you could tell me what caused me to get bleph? Ive never had it before. I've even used Vaseline, Castor oil coconut oil and others

• Posted

My Optometrist told me that no one really knows. Since Wet Ones kills staph, I am beginning to think maybe staph may be the culprit. We all have staph on our skin, so maybe we become more sensitized to It?
    • Posted

Also wanted to ask you if your eyelids from the bleph felt like you had scabs on them and if they go away
    • Posted

Yes. Edges of lids were crusty. Ugh. Impossible to even consider using makeup. Lashes falling out left and right. It was awful. Now, after using Wet Ones Wipes, the edges of my lids are smooth again. It just takes time.
    • Posted

Did not you get the white tiny dots on your eyelids that resemebled dandruff from the bleph? They feel like scabs and dont seem to want to g away why?
    • Posted

Oh yes, Shannon. But after months of Wet Wipes usage, they became smooth again. The edges of my lids were bumpy, crusty, swollen and sometimes oozie. They hurt and made my lashes fall out. Baby shampoos did not help me at all. I began to suffer from dry eye. Now most lashes are back, and lids are smooth again. Lashes grew in a bit wonky, and my dry eye is much improved.
    • Posted

Im wondering if some of the lashes that fell out and arent growing back will come back? And I dont have the oozing but the spots hurt like heck. Im so desperate i even thought about lash transplants but im not sure. What can i us for how sore they are from being cracked and dry? On the lids?
    • Posted

Also did you by chance have the bleph on your eyebrows? I do it's ridiculous atleast that is what it seems to be the doc said

• Posted

My eyebrows seem to be okay. I'm so sorry You're going through this. I hope the Wet Ones Wipes will help you, too. Most, but not all, of my eyelashes grew back. One eye is lashier than the other.Now that my lids have healed, I wear strip lashes, but it was quite a few months before it was possible because of the pain. Good luck to you. If Wet Ones does not help, perhaps one of the other regimes (Manuka honey or tea tree) will help.

• Posted

Also wanted to ask you if you think i should stop using the latisse just t wait and see and then go from there?

• Posted

Would you recommend using false lashes? Im so desperate it's ridiculous

• Posted

You might want to hold off until your lid edges are a bit less inflamed. It sounds like the Latisse is irritating to them now. In the beginning, all I could tolerate was a hypoallergenic brown eyeliner pencil. After a time, the Wet Ones Wipes cleared up the inflammation and I could handle strip lashes. Not all of my lashes grew back. One eye is still lacking quite a few.

• Posted

I wear them now. Once my lids healed up from the Wet Ones Wipes, I could tolerate the lashes. I didn't try to use them until my lids edges healed. I haven't tried them, but perhaps those magnetic lashes would work?

• Posted

Yeah maybe but unfortunately for them to work you have to have eyelashes. This is very frustrating
    • Posted

Don't lose hope. It may take a little time to get the Blepharitis under control, but then lashes should begin to recover.

• Posted

I also pluck them sometimes because they seem to hurt as they start growing back and I know that's not a good idea. I just want my lashes

• Posted

I also pluck! In my case, the ones that begin to grow under or over the lash line. Also, after washing my lids I use “splinter” tweezers & a 15x mirror to remove the collarets around the lashes as they are softened by the wash. I think that may be even a worse idea.  😩 Has anyone else done this?

• Posted

Yes, probably. It took me a while to get my eyelids healed-- and sometimes I still have episodes--but I wear make-up. Hopefully your eyelids will respond favorably to one of these treatments.
    • Posted

I pray to God you're right. Ive been using the wet ones wipes but not consistently everyday. But for the most i am. I stopped the latisse for now. This is insane and has effected my eyebrows as well. I just wish i didnt pluck them sometimes.

• Posted

Darlene I have just been diagnosed with blepharitis all my lashes have mostly come out , I bought the wet ones that are stated but when they came it said do not put near eyes 
    • Posted

Yes, the instructions on the box indicate that you should not get Wet Wipes into eyes. I am very careful to wipe only the lashes and the lashline while avoiding actually touching the eyeball. I do not rinse, but instead allow to air dry. If your lashlines are terribly inflamed, it may sting a little the first time or two, but then it quickly becomes soothing (unless you are allergic to one of the ingredients). My lashes are finally growing back in. Good luck. Hope it helps you, too.
    • Posted

What kind of wet ones should I buy? All of my eyelashes have fallen out and I'm beside myself

I started gettibg the lash extentions a few weeks ago and now I have a serious case of blepharitis that even caused a stye under my left eyelid. The doctor put me on steroid eye drops about 5 days ago with an antibiotic and also now doxycycline antibiotics today

• Posted

Dear Keri,

I used the Wet Ones from the US to kill my Blepharitis. It is in a red box and the last ingredient is Barbadensis Leaf juice. They are individually wrapped. 

If you are allergic to detergents, fabric softeners or lanolin or aloe you may not be able to use them.

Just under 20% of people have sensitive skin. 

The UK wipes with Benzalkonium Chloride are harsh for most people. 

Hope this helps and if you need more info let me know.

Lynda79

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.