Face flushes and sweats, also thick saliva.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Every single day around the time I go in to work (between 3pm and 5pm), my face gets hot and starts sweating, and my saliva gets thick. I eat lunch about an hour before I go to work. Sometimes these symptoms start before lunch, sometimes after, but it always lasts until after I arrive at work and sometimes more after. I tried changing what I eat for lunch, but it does not seem to be affecting anything.

Are these symptoms coming from some sort of anxiety? Does anyone else go through this or know how to stop it?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Edit: I am 27 and I have a stress-free job in data entry. These symptoms have been happening for several months, perhaps a year, although I do not remember exactly when they started.
  • Posted

Hi. Sometimes for me it’s stress related, but usually not. Can’t find out what triggers it because most doctors don’t know. Try an endocrinologist first to make sure your thyroid is ok. Then try a dermatologist who has treated facial/cranial hiperhydrosis. Good luck. We all suffer with you.
    • Posted

Thanks but I personally don't think it's stress related. It only happens around lunch time, never breakfast or dinner. I'm thinking it's something I'm eating, although I attempted to change my food up and got the same result. Haven't tried narrowing down any ingredients yet, but my money is on my blood pressure being raised somehow.

• Posted

99% of the time it’s not stress related. My head & face sweat even if I’m just cooking. So far, no one has been able to explain what causes it & very few know how to treat it. Coffee can cause sweats or nothing at all. Mine come at different times—for no reason. My blood pressure is great! Hope someone somewhere can help!

• Posted

Mine was caused by a prolactinoma in the pituitary gland.  It took 6 years before someone thought to send me to an endocrinologist.  Ask for your pituitary gland hormones to be tested.

However, my face and head sweated none stop, not just for a couple of hours.  But everyone can be different.

I assume you are not eating spicy foods.  What supplements if any are you taking?  If any.  Maybe you need to check them out.  Your clothes - do you have to wear clothing that is polyester or worse?

Is there something at work that might be causing it, e.g. carpets, paint, cleaning products, plants.  Has something changed?   Look for the weird - you never know.

A deficiency of Vit D3 can cause head sweats.  Try a good practitioners brand of Vit D3 drops.  They are more affective than tablets.

Try chewing sugarless peppermint gum or sucking peppermint lozenges.  Peppermint wakes up the brain and may help with your thick saliva and maybe have a cooling effect.

If you are in the UK there is a fantastic product called MagiCool for spraying on face and neck.  It is no longer available where I live but I still had a can at the back of the cupboard and it still worked.

Vit B12 is also very effective but too much might cause a problem.  Ask for a blood test for it.  If you are low, ask for injections as once again, tablets may not be absorbable for you.  And it can cause an increase in blood pressure because it can increase the volume of your blood.

Let us know how you go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.