Feeling Bionic

Posted , 11 users are following.

For all of us that are struggling, fed up  and depressed, I can say that at 8 months I am feeling good. Spent Saturday walking round London, managing to climb approx 192 steps up from Covent Garden  tube as queue for lift was stupid. Followed by a concert at Wembley. Ached on Sunday and now on Tuesday feels okay, so at some point we become human again, not that I would want  to.go through another TKR in a hurry but just wanted to share this in the hope it makes others feel better!

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is lovely to hear some positive experiences of knee replacement. I am still trying to summon up the courage to go through with this operation.
    • Posted

I too had to 'summon up' the courage to have my knee replaced. I put it off as long as I could. Tried everything else first, but in the end...it was surgery as all the other things I tried quit working after a while. The pain from knee surgery will go away eventually. It is a LONG road to recovery but I think it's worth it in the end. I will be 11 weeks po on the 13th and I still have a way to go. BUT I can walk without pain or fear that my knee might give out on me!!! Going down stairs is still hard, going up is easy but slower than normal. The first 3 weeks po, I did want someone to shoot me but that pain went away also. I"m not sorry I had the surgery but wish I could have avoided the first 3 weeks!
  • Posted

I can relate to that, I am 7 months, walked 5 miles yesterday and another walk today, stairs not so much of a problem now.  Achey at night and still numb but I feel I am getting there too!
    • Posted

That's good - it's setbacks that are hard - frustrating not being able to do things that used to take for granted. Started swimming but think overdid it. Going to stick to walking for now and hope can increase muscles strength and tone. Still struggling to lose weight too but walking is better than sitting here feeling sorry for myself
    • Posted

I lost 2 stone Caroline and feel so much better for it.  I think that has helped with the knee too.   I felt like you for a while but decided on a course of action and I am sticking to it.  You can do it! Xx
    • Posted

Thank you - that's encouraging. I have ordered a healthy shopping delivery on Friday and plan to start a focused eating and exercise plan from Saturday . Two stone would be amazing - I need to stay on track tend to give up after half a stone! Well done on losing it and keeping it off - feel ready to do it now for the knee and for myself
    • Posted

wow well done to you what method did you use ? moving away from the fridge is not working for me i need to loose that much i know i can do it i just need direction
  • Posted

It is good to hear some positive comment.  I know my knee will eventually feel better I am nine weeks today Tkr. But I had other knee done in 2011 and that is good,  I still have a long way to go but thank you for reminding me that it will all be ok,  I love london by the way,  jackie 
  • Posted

well done shelley im exausted reading it  . its great you are doing so well and sharing it
  • Posted

Thanks Shelley. I am 18 weeks post op bilateral TKR. I have a long way to go and am making nice progress, but I have a long way to go on this roller coaster. It's nice to hear that you got there. I am trying to be more patient, thanks for the inspiration!
  • Posted

Lovely to hear you say you feel good....makes all the strugle worth while....
  • Posted

That's great Shelley. I'm just back from London myself and it wasn't as traumatic as I expected. I'm 20 weeks post and due further surgery to straighten at the end of the month.

I managed a trip to the Tower of London (steps to the Bloody Tower were beyond me though), some shopping (I felt I deserved a ridiculously expensive handbag) and a trip to the theatre to watch the Elephant man. I can highly recommend Bradley Cooper as a recovery aid. They should offer him on the NHS!!!

Leg sore and swollen but I've survived and had a great time x

• Posted

Sounds like you had a good time too. Don't think I would want to do Covent Garden steps again though, by the time I got out I was extremely hot and went into M&S to cool down and a lady asked me if I was alright, can't think what I must have looked like. Was worth it to go to see ACDC. Glad I wasn't the only one in the same position, think generally it was my feet and general aches from walking as the knee held up amazingly. Onwards and upwards for us now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.