Feeling down..is it normal

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everyone,,

Today has been one of those slow sad days,5 weeks post op and just feeling as though everything is moving so slowly..I want to get out there and walk like i used to,without getting knackered,go places without this knee swelling up like a football..I know its got to be slow,but does anyone else feel like this at times,I know it will get better and faster,maybe just feeling sorry for myself today...x

3 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Very normal if you look back over these posts you will see tears tantrums depression and up and down emotions. Try not to let it get a grip. Tiredness and frustration make us emotional and it's almost like grieving in some cases for the active life we want and miss and the independence we crave. It's early so keep focused on ways to help yourself recover and be positive -
  • Posted

Hi Lou

yes, it's very normal to feel like that...especially at about that stage.  We make good progress and we expect every day to be a bit better, but sadly TKR isn't like that.  You will have up days and down days.  We all struggle with wanting to get back out there and some achieve this quicker than others.  When you feel like this, watch a good film or read a good book and enjoy the rest that your body is telling you it needs.

Tomorrow's another day.

Patsy

• Posted

thanks ladies,its good to know its normal how im feeling,hopefully tomorrow will be better..x
  • Posted

you poor thing, i know how you feel and yes it will get better. plenty of ice and rest to day, to moro try and walk again and do your excerise that is the only way forward. take care.
  • Posted

The ups and downs go with the territory unfortunately. Here it's in the 90's with high humidty so it's a little easier to temper the desire to get out and move around. As your body rebuilds itself from the surgery trauma you will have fewer of the down days and more and more energy to get out and go. I know you feel like its been forever but being at the same time post op as you and having been through this several times, slowly you will find all of this is going away. Have faith.
    • Posted

Thanks oh wise one,you always make me feel more positive about things to come,i shall keep plodding on and taking things day by day ...
  • Posted

Lou, I'm 19 weeks po tomorrow and so feel like you do. My problem has been due to muscle wastage following new knee cap and trochlea and I'm so frustrated. Strength in my knee seems good during day but it's now 8.45pm and it's very unsteady and I'm sat with ice pak on it. Crickey, for some of us it's a long journey, but as everyone on this forum seems to say 'it's par for the course' ........and everyone on this forum so wishes it wasnt!! 
    • Posted

thanks pam,

yes im sat here with the ice pack too,the evenings and through the night always seem worse,and more achey pain..things are going well with my recovery i just wish it was quicker,but deep down i know it has to be done slowly xx

• Posted

You are very normal, we all suffer the same feelings at different stages.   Take you meds, don't skip them, exercise and ice, elevate if the swelling gets bad.  If the swelling is so bad get some anti inflamatory tabs they do help.  It happens you have good days and you think you can do better than the previous days, then you do too much and knock yourself back again...its a slow dance, two forward one back.  But you will arrive at a stage where it all feels worth it.  I am 22 weeks po, 75, and today I feel well, did some gardening and it must have been this time  last  year I did some last....treat myself to having a man come to cut the grass.

If you feel so down...have a good cry, its all part and parcel of this TKR journey.   First TKR done 8 years ago, been no problem at all so I know it works.

• Posted

5 weeks post op is still so early. Think about what you've had done. It was 8 weeks until my bruises all finally came up. The swelling can take a year to go. If you'd sprained an ankle you wouldn't be expecting to get back to normal so quickly. I can't offer anymore comparisons as my leg is far from a normal one/recovery. We all get down and fed up, I'm in a big slump at the moment myself but unfortunately all you can do is be patient. Keep going, tomorrow will be a better day x
    • Posted

Kathryn, I suggest we "slump" together........or turn to drink lol! X 
    • Posted

Over 23 weeks, I've stopped counting now. I'm allowing myself a few days off being positive but I'll get back on the upbeat bus soon 😉
    • Posted

Well it makes me feel better knowing others are having the same issues. I am at 4 mths and having issues. Had MUA mth ago and still can't get ROM pass 90. Difficult walking, use a cain still. Can't get up and down without arms on a chair. I use a game ready ice machine 4-5 times a day, you would think the swelling would go down, but it has not. Dr doesn't know why.  I go back to see him this week, not sure what is next. Keep moving and keep working at exercises that is all I know to do. I wish you well also.
    • Posted

oops meant cane!!
    • Posted

I was meant to have MUA and Adesiolysis (muscle cut) last week but when the camera went in it was deemed too dangerous to do. The surgeon said he was 99% sure my bones would break if he tried to force it as my ligaments are knackered. They literally won't move. He took a biopsy to rule out anything else but he said I need my TKR removing and replacing with one that essentially fills my entire leg. I already have a bespoke TKR as my knee had disappeared so I have extra support through my shin. I will have all of my ligaments stripped out and replaced with metal/plastic. I get my stitches removed next week and then see my surgeon plus a colleague of his for a second opinion, the week after. Im obviously a bit panicked and still feeling a bit sorry for myself. My ROM is 85 degrees on bend and -30 on extension. The lack of straightening is the main concern as, in my case, that is only going to get worse over time.

I am lucky in that my actual TKR feels quite strong and can hold my weight. It's much better than my leg was for the last 2 years so I am grateful for that, it's just not anywhere near acceptable for a TKR and doesn't give me any positive outlook for the future. Hopefully I will see the light at the end of the tunnel at some point.

I hope that your issues improve. Good luck.

• Posted

Kathryn, after reading your story and others I am so glad I have only a little more straightening to go. I walk without a limp as I make my hubby walk behind to make sure!  I  left crutches at 4 weeks, no cane at all, so I will give you all my support and wishes that you come through OK.
    • Posted

Mema, has your doc considered anti inflamatory meds...I had to have those and they helped.  I had cellulitis after coming home from hospital, this held me up for 3 weeks of exercising waiting for the infection to  clear.  My knee bend was no problem, straightening has and still takes time.  22 eeks po... I walk without a limp so it must be getting straight.

If I do too much walking now, I have to ice and elevate as soon as I get the chance.   Takes time, I know had my left knee done 8 years ago and feels normal.

• Posted

Kathryn, after reading what's happening to you I realise I never ought to be moaning! Goodness me you're really going through it aren't you.  Hope things pick up for you really soon. Take care.
    • Posted

im going to ask my docs for anti inflamatorys next week,i used to take naproxen before my op and wondered if i could restart them,to help with swelling ...
    • Posted

I have been on anti inflamatory meds since the operation. Nothing seems to help it. I also had to have a MUA a mth ago to see if that would help with the ROM. They are not sure what is causing the inflamation. I have a game ready ice compression machine that I use 4-5 times a day. Tomorrow I go back to MD to see what he wants to try next. I also will be without a job after tomorrow, so this has been a life changing event for me. Didn't expect that. I have used up my FMLA and as a mgr they can't wait for me any longer. At least I will have my disability insurance from work to live on. I have read in other posting that some folks had problems with this also, so I know I'm not alone. It may take me a few years but sooner or later I will get my ROM back and perhaps the swelling will go down on its own also.
    • Posted

Thats the med I was given and it worked for me.  Have to take another with it to stop it upsetting your tummy..

• Posted

thats right hazel,i have an app on monday with my GP so shall see what he says..can only try it ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.