Feeling foggy on zoloft

Posted , 11 users are following.

i have been on Zoloft for 4 weeks now at 25 mg.

I find myself very foggy at times at of lately. During the start up period I did not feel like this.

I feel a lot of depersonalization.

My doctor has suggested I go up half a dose to 37.5.

I'm afraid to fogginess will get worse.

Anyone have some words of advice?

Anyone feel the fogginess on the drug?

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I remember feeling foggy for about a week after starting Zoloft. I was started on it for post Partum depression. I was advised to take it at night due to the "sleepiness" factor. What time Of the day do you take it?
  • Posted

Hi if your suffering with anxiety that can make u feel like that, I'd give it a bit longer , xx
    • Posted

I was told at 4 weeks it would have already settled into my system. I've taken Zoloft before but it was 2 years ago and I don't remember if it made me foggy rolleyes
  • Posted

I on my 2nd week of 25mg sertraline and yes i too suffer with fogginess yesterday was a really good day for me but today i feel so drained but iam learning to take good days and enjoy them then just put up with the bad days hoping tomorrow will be a good day . i take meds at early evening find that help to calm my mind enough to sleep .
    • Posted

My 2nd week on Zoloft consisted of pure nausea not so much fogginess. Are you getting that as well?
  • Posted

Yes my appetite is minimal at present and a nausea feeling just wish it was a case of take the tablet no side effects and immediate results but thats not the case but i do know i feel better then i did so just hoping it continues to go that way ..
    • Posted

My doctor wants me to go up half a dose. I'm scared honestly. I'm afraid the fog will be worse than it is now. I still find myself anxious at times. Maybe the half dose higher will help me.
    • Posted

I've been on 50mg for 2 weeks then I started 100mg last Thursday , I wouldn't worry as the increase didn't make me have anymore symptoms, I've felt sick and more anxious but was like that on 50mg, I spoke to a pharmacist today who has said u need to give them at least 4 weeks to get in your system and upto 8 weeks to give them their full potential, I don't know what your suffering with , mine is panic attacks and anxiety and she said these are one of the best drugs for this
    • Posted

I suffer from panic disorder. The drug has worked in the past. I was stupid for listening to my doctor and coming off. I knew I wasn't ready. It's annoying having to start at square 1 again.
    • Posted

Aww poor u, the pharmacist told me I could stay on them the rest of my life if I needed to lol , won't do any harm xx
    • Posted

How long did u wait last time for them to work for your panic disorder, did u also have anxiety? X
    • Posted

I don't plan on ever coming off of them again lol. I don't remember how long before I felt better. It was over 2 years ago. I suffer from anxiety as well.
    • Posted

Well that's good to hear they work as at the moment am on edge and anxious all the time!! Can't wait to feel relaxed lol, I'm even on edge at home!! Were u like that? Xx
    • Posted

hello, I was on zoloft for 16 years for my panic attacks, and after christmas a friend convinced me to wean off and see how I am wihohe crazy thing is I went from Dec-april and didnt have one panic attack, I belived I was free..ut May 3, my 1 st severe attack happened at work, and I immedialy started myself back on zoloft, I had bed rest for 1 week and suffered on and off huge attacks and now im onweek 3 on 100 mg, and last night I accidently tok another dose at bed time, and today I have been having severe attacks all day, so im skippingmy zoloft until tonight and being careful not to accidentl take any extra ever again, i feel that mistake caused more anxiety,,,I cat wait for this roller coaster ride to end and be anxiety free again, I need serotonin, I must be completly depleted, but i do know once thois in my system I am fully functionable agaian, and its so worth staying on it forever for me
    • Posted

Yes!!! I felt like my home was no longer my "safe place" I'm happy to say that today I did not experience as much fogginess so I'm very hopeful that my body just needs to finish adjusting. I also was not tired as I usually am. I usually take a nap after work. I didn't need one today.
    • Posted

Well that's good, I wish I was bk at work , I couldn't work at the min if I wanted to been off 6 months since I started with this so hopefully a few more weeks I will start feeling better ha xx
    • Posted

It's nice to hear when people say they work , I've been on them 3 weeks today, first 2 weeks 50mg and this last week 100mg,,my anxiety seems to have increased at present but don't think there fully in my system yet, did u find this when u first started them and how long it was before your anxiety started to subside? X
    • Posted

This week (week 4) I noticed a huge change. I actually do not think I will be increasing the dose. I seem to be fine now. My anxiety is at an all time low
    • Posted

Aww made up for u, I feel a little calmer today but was stood before for a while and felt light headed and faint so now I'm worrying again xx
    • Posted

That was happening to me up until a few days ago! Don't worry. It gets better.
    • Posted

Im on week 3 and I am just now getting better with the anxiety,  enegy is ped so i made myself walk 2 miles today like I used to do before all this panic hit me, andit t good to get out again and see nature
    • Posted

Well done u , the mornings are horrendous for me I feel so horrible then seems to lift as the day goes on xx
    • Posted

Did u find u analized every situation before doing it? And has that dwindled of a bit now? I get anxious when I'm going somewhere out my comfort zone although at the min I'm anxious most of the time xx
    • Posted

I went out last night with a bunch of friends for the first time in 2 months. At a local bar that we always go to. I didn't drink because I was afraid it would give me anxiety. I did have a bit of anxiety. I guess it's because It's been so long and so many people. I was talking myself out of it all day but I pushed myself to go. And I'm happy I did. However, today I have a bit more anxiety than I did yesterday.

When I'm having doubts I just talk positively. And say "IF I have a panic attack. It's okay. It will pass." I list all the people I can call if I do have a panic attack. And I just reassure myself it's okay.

• Posted

Aww glad u got out, I've been on 3,weeks now and today my head feels foggy and the feeling of not being there if u know what I mean lol, it makes me feel panicky though cos I think I'm going to faint!! It's like a vicious circle!! Do u find yourself always waiting for the anxiety to start when u feel calm ? Xx
    • Posted

Week 3 I was still foggy. The next day I woke up and it wasn't there anymore. Such a lift off my shoulders.

Convince yourself that it's just your medicine and that you're fine. And if you can sit for a few minutes. The feeling will pass.

In the past 100% I was waiting for the anxiety. Now it's about 30%. Like now I feel great but I'm like hm I wonder how long this will last. But it's important not to think like that!

Stay positive and positive things will happen

• Posted

I had to use a xanax last night. I felt a panic attack coming on. My chest got so tight, I felt like I was going to pass out. Which I find so weird. I havent felt like that since like the 2nd week on Zoloft. I decided to increase my dose last night. Clearly the 25 mg is not working for me.
    • Posted

I had a panic attack the other day after waking from a nap. Nothing caused it which made me freak out more. So I did as the doctor suggested and I upped my dose. It's been 3 days. I haven't noticed any additional symptoms. But I'm still foggy. I'm not sure what to do to get rid of it. I've been on 25mh since about April 12. Now I'm at 37.5. Are you still experiencing the fogginess?
    • Posted

i know how you feel , i was ok on 50mg then decided to raise to 100mg and the nightmare started . the morning are the worst. been vomiting the first 4-5 day with heavy panic attack feeling like my blood is boiling. its day 7 now i still feel nauseous the morning with some anxiety but i feel like it take time to the system to adjust to the new dose
    • Posted

Oh no. So basically I'm going to experience all the start up symptoms again. Great. I hope they're not as bad. I only increased half a dose. So I don't think they'll be as bad. I just want this fog to go away. The fog is what gives me the anxiety to begin with. I feel like I'm high. I hate it.
    • Posted

Yes I think the increase will do u great, I have been on sertraline nearly 5 weeks first 2 on 50mg and then 100mg I've not had a panic attack and only waves of anxiety which I made up with , although feeling a little low but guess this is expected lol
    • Posted

Yes fogginess seems to have lifted , although when I push myself out my comfort zone I can that feeling of not being there but think that's just the anxiety xx
    • Posted

I have high hopes that the increased dose will do me well however in the back of my mind I'm afraid that it may make me worse. I have a wedding to go to in 2 weeks and I'm afraid I will have to miss it because of my anxiety. I have a hard time going out with friends. Let alone going to a wedding.
    • Posted

I'm sure u will be fine , my anxiety has been a bit high today but I'm putting it down to the heat as its been in the 80s today and the heat seems to make me worse lol, xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.