Feeling ill with carbimazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,I have been on carbimazole now for 3 weeks,just recently Found out I was overactive,after 2 weeks I was feeling really itchy,sweaty and also breaking out in some small spots on my back,shoulders and part of my forehead.the last week I have also been feeling really rubbish with what feels like a cold,sneezing,headaches and runny nose.just wanting to no is this normal for being on carbimazole,and has anyone else had similar symptoms whilst being on it.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I was diagnosed in May and was put on tapazole right away (same med as carb different name). I I do remember I had itching at the beginning but not too bad, eventually it did go away. The meds also elevated my liver enzymes at first but quickly went back to normal after 2 months. I think it takes time for your body to respond to the meds and sometimes there are mild side effects.

As for the cold and runny nose feeling, are you sure it's not just a common cold?

• Posted

Hi cacelo,the cold may well be just the time of year with the weather changing,but i was just putting it out there as I wasn't sure what side affects there was from carbimazole,I have been on a lot of threads,and everyone seems to have different symptoms on the medication,I have been feeling pretty rubbish since starting carbimazole,hopefully that will get better,the itching only really lasted a couple of days,I put that down to the meds starting to take effect on my body.

• Posted

Hi markn14, I experienced itching when I started taking Carbimazole (30mg). It went away after the dose was dropped. It might help you to split your daily Carbimazole dose into two or if possible three portions. Just make sure you take the prescribed dose in a 24 hours interval. Carbimazole has a biological half-life of about 5 hours. By splitting the dose you might avoid spikes of medication running through your blood stream.

If you are having a presistent cold, especially a sore throat or develop mouth ulcers or sore gums, go back to your GP or hospital immediately. Your doctor will order an emergency blood test to check you blood count. In few patients Carbimazole can lead to a dangerous drop in white blood cells.  If that is the case your immue system might be compromised leaving you vulnerable to serious infections.

More info on Carbimazole here: https://patient.info/medicine/carbimazole-tablets-neo-mercazole

• Posted

Hi danr,thanks for the advice,to be fair the itching has more or less stopped now,I had this between the 1st and 2nd week,still get the occasional 5 mins itchy spell,but nothing like it was,I am now getting stomach pains lol one thing after another eh,I had taken tablets for the cold and it seems to Be getting a bit better,was just asking about the cold,because I wasn't sure isn't we were more susceptible to catching them now with the hyperthyroid.

Thanks,

Mark.

• Posted

About three weeks into my taking these meds, I had the same symptoms. What I did was cut the dose in half. I was told to take 20mg daily. I decided to take 10mg in the am and 10mg in the night time and my symptoms subsided. See if that helps.
  • Edited

I was on Carbimazole 5mg in 2018 and developed the following symptoms: sneezing, sore throat, mild cough (due to the sore throat) and a couple of weeks into the medication developed a condition that caused me to be unable to swallow food or water. The GP was alarmed and ordered a blood test but nothing showed up. They advised me to stop the medication and put me on PTU (Propylthiouracil) which was even worse as I completely lost my appetite in week 4 (no desire to eat anything: breakfast, lunch or dinner). My weight plummeted to 43kg.

I was then given Thyrozol 10mg when I was abroad after collapsing due to a raised heart rate of 189 bpm which I got on extremely well on it. Unfortunately, as I live in the UK, Thyrozol is not licenced to be prescribed to humans. I was running out of Thyrozol (due to travel restrictions) and so the UK consultant requested me to retry Carbimazole. I am on it for about 11 days as at the date of writing this post.

Day 3 onwards, I started to have sneezing fits which is getting more and more frequent. Day 5 onwards, I started to wake up in the middle of the night with a dry and sore throat. Day 7, woke up with a terrible headache that would not go away. Day 9, my voice is raspy all the time. Day 10, I woke up with my tongue feeling like it's burning (just like I ate a chili pepper).

I am relieved to see that I am not the only one who suffers same side-effects from Carbimazole. I am just diarising this in case others have also encountered the same side-effects and are interested to know.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.