Feeling like the Tin Man!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all. I'm about 18 weeks post op ( was feeling so well I stopped counting) and am on holiday in Menorca. I didn't realize how much effort it takes at the airport, and at the resort, walking everywhere, even Around the hotel.  I've managed to swim every day if nothing else the cold water is soothing.  My leg feels very stiff almost like the Tin Man!  And the pain!  Oh my god I'm back to waking up 3 times a night again, and the bed is hard!  I'm due back at work in a fortnight, back to earth with a bump.  Anyone else had a rude awakening?  Hoping it will eventually get better. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Once we get back to real life it does come as a shock!  I've stopped counting. . not sure now if its 25, 26 or 27 weeks. . and too lazy to count again.  Mostly I am back to normal, but these last days I;ve been unable to walk much because of the ankle on my good leg, and my knee is beginning to stiffen again . . .Looks as if looking after these TKR's is a very long job!  they do like to be spoilt don't they!  Enjoy Menorca . . hottest July since records began, so that old water in the pool must be very refreshing!  Not too hot here in Tenerife, thank heavens . . . 

• Posted

Yes I found it hard going to Turkey in June.   I found getting off the plane hard, the sun didn't agree with my knee.  Since I have been back loads of stiffness and a lot of shin pain.  I am six months post TKR.   
  • Posted

Hi Elaine. ...didn't you get airport assistance? If not call your holiday company or see your rep to request it on way home as they will wheelchair you through the fast lane etc it's much easier and you are entitled to it too. I was in crete 2 weeks ago didn't want to get out of the pool it was heaven but don't forget.. don't be doing the Breast stroke action with your legs as you could end up like me.... meniscus tear and soft tissue damage. I didn't think when I kind if dived under the water from standing position and choked under water with the pain. Lot of pain now and have to be careful. Are you having any problems with swelling with the heat in your leg?
    • Posted

Hi Shirley. I did ask for airport assistance but there was so many people waiting for it decided to abandon it and walk.  I have found breaststroke isn't a very good idea so have been doggie paddling or walking in the water.  Yes I have had swollen ankles in the heat, but the knee seems ok just hot again.  Poor having a tear. Wishing you better with that. X
    • Posted

Yes I found that too but I'm a bit of a loud mouth haha so I moaned and moaned until we got assistance. Actually had a laugh with the guys in the end and they couldn't do enough for us. Worth waiting for assistance as you will get there before anyone else anyway even if it seems like a lifetime wait. Yes I got a ticking off from physio and my surgeon on Thursday telling me to stop trying to run before I could walk. I'm stubborn. ..still am but paying for it now. Cried like a baby this lalast few days as struggling getting up the stairs. We had massages on the beach twice and it really reduced swelling also legs up the wall for as long as you can cope that way. Just hope room service doesn't walk in haha
    • Posted

Yes I did the legs up the wall as well to help with straightening might have to go back to that as sitting at a desk. Has had a reverse effect so can not bend really well but limp like a pirate when I stand up all I need is a parrot. Op done 4 Feb 2015
    • Posted

Haha I'm sure room service has seen worse!  I feel much better now am home and had a couple of nights in my own comfy bed and carpet underfoot!  I can't do hard floors either I've discovered.  I think we will wait for assistance for our September holiday (not looking forward to it at the moment, yes I know I'm a spoilt brat). X
  • Posted

It does I went on  a cruise at 20 weeks & enjoyed it A lot of walking on the shore excursions but not too strenuous 
  • Posted

17 weeks after a bilateral TKR.

i do not have pain. After lots of excercise, regardless of what it is, my quads get tired and the knee gets stiff. I think it takes 6 ,

months for someone excercising and stretching, to really have the knees feel great. And, 1 year before one says, "my kness are great."

• Posted

Here in Victoria, at the bottom of Australia, its FREEZING cold and miserable. What I'd give to be somewhere nice and hot right now! I hadn't yet asked the physio or dr. about swimming, so now that I've read that's not so great to do yet, that would be disappointing. So remind yourself how lucky you are right now, not having to suffer with cold weather which you feel right down into the marrow of your bones. I hope you can get some rest by the pool with the occasional dunking and enjoy your vacation! Cheers from the icy south of Australia. 
  • Posted

SO I have not got a great deal to look forward to, I cannot walk now, and I don't get my TKR till 29/september I am in England and will be,so called, recovering in the cold winter months

WOW Roll on

Hagar

ps the right leg needs doing as well

• Posted

If you want to be 'done' earier as for a cancellation appt or a quick notice appt so if someone else drops out you can take their place
    • Posted

I think I might be one of the cancellations by what i am reading lol

Nothing can possibly be as bad as now ( 3 months before op EH )

• Posted

Goodness you have lots to lol forward to. Morphine conversations with people who are not there is one moment I enjoyed.

Yes it is hard work and can be very painful but am now 5 months along and can walk unaided without any grinding of joints take the occasional med but feeling great

We all have good and bad days but keep with this forum and you will get lots of support and advice and a sense if belonging as those who have not had this surgery can't really help apart from supporting you

Just remember not to beat yourself up and enjoy the rest

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.