FEELS LIKE I AM SITTING ON A ROCK!

Posted , 18 users are following.

My buttock on my operated side feels like it is sitting on a rock when I sit down what is this?  Will it go?sad

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Same here but at 3&1/2 wks seems to be slowly going, still find sleeping on operated side uncomfortable but last night was first night with no painkillers
    • Posted

So You are sleeping on operated side?  My doc said I couldn't - are you in UK. I would love to sleep on my side vis a vis I am still awake - on my back!!!frown
    • Posted

I started sleeping on unoperated side after about a week, I put a pillow between my legs and keep it there when I role over, I just cant sleep on my back and felt good rest is a major part of recovery process, so some on line research on sleeping positions and i decided to do it, pillow stops leg crossing centre line which is important earlier on to prevent dislocation whilst muscles heal, when I told surgeon at 10 days he had no problems with it. now I am trying to spend more time on operated side but it still feels like I'm lying on something hard but slowly improving.
  • Posted

I had the same thing. Im now 7 wks post op and still have the sensation a bit when driving but is much better. Ita scar tissue. .once healed u need to massage area..
  • Posted

It certainly eases but I wish I had been told of a fantastic cushion, which is costly but so comfortable, at the outset. I will certainly buy one when hip number two is done!
    • Posted

Tell us more Vonnie, I'm 3 1/2 months post op and still feel the 'lump'!  Plus I'm waiting for surgery on hip number 2 x
    • Posted

I'm 4 months and still have that lumpy feeling on my right side. Somebody said it's probably scar tissue

• Posted

Hi Mumsy ...

Well, yeah - that part is traumatized, so to speak and healing - Not sure if you watched the surgery on youtube ... if not, and yoiu are ready, please have a look (you can always turn it off when it gets too much) -

I did not realize how mmajor this surgery is and what is involved ... your body is amazing and starts repairing all the damage that was done ...

Is it painful? red? warm? 

If it is on the buttock it also can be the muscle -

remember that you are still very early in your recovery ... patience, my dear -

and be kind to your self 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

I know - it feels like months ago but is actually 2 weeks tomorrow.  I can sleep on my back and scar tissue makes sense.  Its  gonna be a long job!!  I have a long haul flight in three months - doc knows - I hope I'm ready for that plane seat!!
  • Posted

I slept on my operated side last night for the first time in 5 weeks (applause please). The rocks had hindered this before. 

However I

have been sleeping on my  un-opped side since about week 2 as I got no sleep on my back.  To avoid the twist or crossing legs I surrounded myself in pillows for support, and wedged them between hip and ankle as well - bingo.

I still sit on a firm pillow on a dining chair etc to cushion the scar rocks which is easing day by day.

Kate

Other countries show you how to sleep on your side from day 1

• Posted

You are so right it was (and note I say WAS) like sitting on a rock or as someone described it, like you left your mobile in your back pocket. Weird sort of sensation. I thought it was feeling the implant but apparently not so. It does soon go away though.
  • Posted

Tried once at 5 weeks post op to lie on operated side. I just squealed . it was so uncomfortable. I am now trying non op side with pillow between knees but find a dragging on scar so back to back. I'm so glad you posted this because I have that when sitting too and beginning to wonder if something was pushing through.

• Posted

Hi,I know the feeling! I have been told that it can take a good year to heal completely! I am a carer as well! So it puts pressure on me ! I have just had a wonderful spa and was able to do gentle exercise, in the spa.Next week,I will have reflexology! I will be 6 months on the second of September. Regards Amanda
  • Posted

Everybody here must have had posterior surgery then. 

Mine is on the side, not the butt, not the groin, but the side.

that must be terribly uncomfortable to feel as if you are sitting on a rock. You have my sympathies.

• Posted

Hi Mumsy, so glad you posted this as I was just about to ask if anyone else is experiencing a similar feeling! I am 2 months and 1 week post op and now keep thinking that my surgeon must have left one his tools inside my buttock :-D! 

Otherwise recovery has been good but occasionally getting into my car it feels as if I have my mobile in my jeans pocket - I actually check each time, and it's not there. Just feels like it. At night it also feels like a rock embedded in the buttock when sleeping on operated side. I think and hope it's just muscle and/or scar tissue healing, as someone already mentioned on this forum.

Physio has been really great, I go weekly to my local hospital gym where a group of us have a session on a variety of equipment. 

Yesterday decided to bath my horse as it was a lovely hot day (no, no riding yet), bending and carrying buckets of water etc. and boy, do I know about it today!!!  Yep, doing too much has a price, but overall the result is amazing - we just have to be patient and let our bodies heal at their own pace.

Best wishes, keep positive,

Alison

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.