female on 50mg sertraline, weight loss/ weight gain?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi,

I am 32 female and I am suffering depression for a long time on and off. last 2 months due to medical problems my low mood became permanent depression. Today I saw psychiatrist and she suggested taking sertraline 50mg. she said its my choice as she can't force me.

My main worry is Weight, as I have/had eating disorder I control my eating to stay slim. I am not under weight at all. (in fact in last 2 months I put a bit of weight but scared to weight myself)

I am not such a person that depression caused weight loss, or lack of appetite.

I want to know does sertraline cause weight gain or weight loss. She said any time I can stop it and I am due to see her next month. I know it takes 2-6 weeks to see the benefit.

Please give me your experience especially those who are slim before starting the medication. Did you lost weight or gain?

Please help me here

Love

Sally xx

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Annie,

Did Sertraline help with the hot flushes? Mine are horrendous at the moment. I guess they've been made worse by stress, but I'm getting them every hour...and then the nights...oh..don't get me started!!! lol..

• Posted

Well, to be honest, they did get worse for a while - and then it all settled down, and I only get them if I am a bit stressed at work say, phones ringing, boss yelling, front door ringing!!!

You will find people report hot flushes with Sert. but everyone is different.

Have you been to therapist today? How did you get on?

• Posted

Hi Annie...

I hope Sally doesn't mind my posting here? I know it was her post.

Grrr...regarding my app this morning. Waited 3 years for this, and it was really only an initial assessment with some young (very young) psychologist. Not sure what will be offered to me...

• Posted

Hi Annie and Magda,

Of course I don't mind smile it is very nice to see people exchange exprience and support each other.

Its been seven weeks since I started Sertraline, I have to say that I didn't have any side effects really, little bit itchy but thats all.

in last 2 weeks I feel my mood changed and I smile and things doesn't bother me as much as I used to. I tried CBT in past and its not good for me but I started psychotherapy last week and tomorrow is my second introduction session, after few intro the actual therapy will start.

as far as weight, as I am very worry about it smile it doesn't seems it changed at all. initially I lost my appetite but which I was happy but the appetite back 2 weeks ago, nothing abnormal though.

I am looking forward to get better and start gym again.

Many thanks for you all that sharing your exprience with me and hope to hear from you soon.

Love

Sally xx

• Posted

Oh that's great to hear your positive experience too, Sally.. :D
  • Posted

Hi Sally

Well, there you go! Glad you are feeling better, quite often CBT is not for a person, it depends if you have issues from the past or present that is causing your anxiety & depression.

For me it was good because I had NO issues, happily married, great kids, good job ...no reason to be like that, but CBT gradually changes your negatives to positives, and along with medication it can return you to your old self. There are so many good therapies out there.

Magda, they always do an initial assessment, really to see what type of therapy you need, if you don't agree with what they say - speak up, that is what I did - I ended up going privately, which has cost us a holiday this year, but the money has been worth it & my husband says that he'd rather me be happy at home than miserable on holiday.

I have to tell you both that today was the first day I went into work and really looked forward to it!!! The little things in life that matter start to return, slowly - but hold on to each happy thing and soon your days fill with more good than bad thoughts.

love to you both

Annie

• Posted

hi ladies :cheerup:

FFS what's weight got to do with it (sounds like an old age pensioner coloured lady :wink: ) and sod what peeps think, get well, if ya are a fat prat, take care of that and stop eating crap :ok: but primarily concentrate on getting well again, there's plenty of time to worry about what peeps 'THINK' might be a prob, oh sorry i'm a bloke :shock: :wink:

take care,

put that CAKE down noooooooooooooooo, :mrgreen:

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :run::rainbow: :rose:

• Posted

Appreciate your sentiments, but being a woman is a bit different -coz we care what we look like, hence it can make us depressed!!! I personally through experience would prefer to feel happy & not anxious and be a bit porky, but there again I have a husband who loves me & would rather have me happy and overweight than skinny & miz. But not everyone is as lucky as me with their men.

Hope you are well and happy.

Annie

• Posted

Grrrrrrrrrr.................. :evil:
  • Posted

Hi Magda,

double grrrrrrrrr,but how are you today? Have you started Sertraline yet?

Annie

• Posted

Hi again,

I am agree with Annie, some female do care about their appearance and I am one of it.

I am lucky that my husband loves me no matter what and I have a lovely 5 years old son,

I like to stay thin and I think it's fair to be worry about weight gain side effects.

I had my second introduction with psychoteraphist today. next one will be next wed.

Magda, make sure you like you therapist and if you don't like the person and feel you can't communicate with him/her say so. at the end of the day you are more important.

keep in touch all of you and its very nice to hear from you

keep well

sally xx

• Posted

Sally, you are so right about liking your therapist, I knew the minute I met her it would be ok. I had seen 2 others & I was not impressed!!!

Magda have you started the meds yet?

I had a big apple slice today and I loved it! We have to have a treat sometimes, it doesn't mean we will get fat!!

Love to both of you - and keep up the good work on your journey to feeling better

Annie xx

• Posted

Hi

No...I haven't started it yet....

Part of me is so stubborn re anti-deps and trying to keep off them (for myself that is).

Regarding the therapist, I now have to wait another 2/3 weeks to be contacted again. I'm not sure about her though. I wanted CBT, not the more traditional psychoanalysis, and this young lady was erm...well rather young??

And to the post from the man, I'm sorry but on my part over eating did not come into it. I was left on medication for 17 years, and in this time it screwed up my metabolism and I now still have to take a highish dose of thyroxine. The weight eventually just piled on, along with all the other issues that come with extra weight.

Thankfully most of that has now come off, and physically I feel mush fitter, but obviously have still not addressed the issues that led to the taking of meds in the first place...hence some form of therapy...

Weight can be a huge issue for some people.

• Posted

Please try to stay off the antidepressants. The supplement  st. John's wort can be found at any store that carries vitamins and it does help. These darn doctors just keep upping the dosages.

• Posted

Hi,

Ive been on Sertraline for approx 3 months. Ive lost weight,have bad dreams and talk in my sleep.

I was hoping things would "settle" but have decided that Sertraline is not for me. Due to go back to see my GP next tuesday to see if I can try different medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.