female on 50mg sertraline, weight loss/ weight gain?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi,

I am 32 female and I am suffering depression for a long time on and off. last 2 months due to medical problems my low mood became permanent depression. Today I saw psychiatrist and she suggested taking sertraline 50mg. she said its my choice as she can't force me.

My main worry is Weight, as I have/had eating disorder I control my eating to stay slim. I am not under weight at all. (in fact in last 2 months I put a bit of weight but scared to weight myself)

I am not such a person that depression caused weight loss, or lack of appetite.

I want to know does sertraline cause weight gain or weight loss. She said any time I can stop it and I am due to see her next month. I know it takes 2-6 weeks to see the benefit.

Please give me your experience especially those who are slim before starting the medication. Did you lost weight or gain?

Please help me here

Love

Sally xx

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sally

I take Setraline and have done so for approx 12 months now due to Bipolar disorder.

One of the most COMMON side effects is weight gain if this medication is used in the long run. I weighed approx 8st when I started taking it 12 months ago, and now I weigh 9st. I've gone from a size 8, to a 10, and although I like to be a little bigger, I'm finding it really really difficult to shift the weight. I'm by no means fat, but setraline changes the receptor signals and causes you to be hungry quite a lot, when infact you are not at all really, and so weight gain can happen quite slowly.

The weight gain you might get from this medication will not give you rolls and rolls of fat, but it's more of a bloaty feeling, and can also give you IBS too.

It took me a long time to adjust to it, but I've found thatr alongside this med the best thing to do is diet and exercise. Eat good food, plenty of fibre, drink plenty of water, and exercise regularly.... :-).... It motivates me to go the gym to be honest so that's a bonus! LoL

I'm sure you will be fine with it. There's no steroids in anti-depressants so the weight gain shouldn't be anything major if it does happen., it might just be a little bloatedness.

All the best. Any questions just ask :-)

Gem xXx

• Posted

I am 20 years old and have been put onto Sertraline it's only been a few days , I am finding the side effects difficult to cope with. I have been barely sleeping and it takes hours to fall asleep , no appitite , dry throat , stumic feels empty ,tierd and slow. I am trying to bare it all and keep on it.

But I feel like my DR is only throwing meds at me this is my 3rd anti depressance in two years , I over dosed on fluxtin and have told the DR this yet he put me onto Sertraline, Although I asked for councling. I read that you shouldn't be put on these if you have attempted suicide , I am unsure what i should do,

• Posted

Hi,

I'm Amber and I've been taking sertraline for about a year now. I can say that sertraline worked wonders for me. It also made me lose 30 pounds in about a month and a half. Now, being a slightly over weight 22 year old at time, well.. you can only imagine my excitement. It took away my appetite completely. I slowly got my appetite back though. You juat have to get through the first 2 months then your body fully accepts it and you're nacl to normal. Well except the depression. Obviously medications effect everyone differently. I've had amazing results and losing my appetite actually made me start to eat healthier. Smaller portions and a lot of salads and vegetables. My stomach shrank amd so by the time I got my appetite back I was no longer able to eag huge meals and the thougbt of a greasy burger sickened me.

This medication changed my life for the better.

Hope it works out for you.

Amber

• Posted

Hiya I'm Cheryl I'm 29 and this is my 3rd day on sertaline 50mg I've been suffering from panic attacks for years but this past 6 months have been terrible , my son was diagnosed with autism and learning difficulties 4 years ago and go reckons the stress n panic attacks have got worse lately as she believes I'm only just starting to accept things I wouldn't say I'm depressed more just stressed n moody but the anxiety is dreadfull any way these tablets have made me feel lightheaded dizzy anxiety seems worse n my appetite as completely gone also my mouth is dry as sand paper is this normal for these meds regards cheryl
  • Posted

Hi, I have been prescribed Sertraline 50mg today and quite worried about the weight gain....this is the 4th depression tablet I've been given...my son died of leukaemia when he was 11yrs old....just over 4 yes ago but still feels like yesterday..I cry every day and its just like having a thick black cloud over me all the time....I can't talk to my husband or son properly,just snap at them all the time...iI really hope these tablets are going to help....
  • Posted

I am trying to decrease taking sertraline i have taken 50ml daily for 12 years. The doctor advised to take 25 ml on alternative days but i feel low and i have been doing it for 3 months now also i feel very achy could that be that i am not able to keep the seratonin in the body long enough to feel happy without sertraline? Please can anyone help, thanks! - did not match any documents.

No pages were found containing "I am trying to decrease taking sertraline i have taken 50ml daily for 12 years. The doctor advised to take 25 ml on alternative days but i feel low and i have been doing it for 3 months now also i feel very achy could that be that i am not able to keep the seratonin in the body long enough to feel happy without sertraline? Please can anyone help, thanks!".

• Posted

The drug helped me to get better, it took a while to find the right dose but eventually evened out when I was on 200mg at night. Been on them just over 2yrs and now I feel it's right to come off. My gp is supporting me, and now I'm down to 50mg at night. No horrid tales, just feel fine. I gained over 3 stone but cannot say its just the tabs, but they did help improve my mood, appetite - so for me they worked.
  • Posted

hi all im on sertraline and after taking mirtz i gained over a stone . two much for me as im usually slim .. as anyone put weight on using sertraline and if not how have u kept the weight down. im thinking of joining a slimming club but worried my weight wont shift while on sertraline.. any advise would be great julie x
  • Posted

Hello, 

i know this discussion was a long time ago, but i am 17 years old and have suffered with depression and anxiety throughout adolescence. i was put on sertraline about a year and  half ago and was on them for about a year. unfortunately i have struggled again recently and was re-prescribed with them yesterday. i didnt find a change in weight and i am prone to weight gain. This medication really benefitted me smile 

abbie x

• Posted

Hi Sally, I have just being put on Sertraline 50 mg today,I am starting taking them tonight, I am so hoping I do not put on weight with them , as I really cannot afford too as that will make me more depressed x
    • Posted

It does wonders for me. I used to barely be able to get out of bed but that last few years my mood has been very leveled. I didn't gain any weight. I actually lost about 40 pounds. I hope it helps you! Don't be afraid to ask to go up to 100 mg. That's what I had to do and after that it was perfect. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Yes I have gained, even in a very physical job. I was on 50mg for six months. The funny thing is that I didn't notice the weight gain (bout seven pounds) until I started to taper off them! I am much larger around my middle and back and would say I have an increase in cellulite (though I am forty three so some could just be age related!).

• Posted

Well everything effects people differently. I ate more when I was depressed so when I wasn't I stopped eating so much.

• Posted

Hi Sally,

I'm 30, been taking 25mg sertraline for about 7months, and recently upped the dosage to 50mg - been on that for about 3 weeks.

I would say it has affected my appetite, I'm not as hungry generally and have lost a few lbs, but not major weight loss. I do find myself having to occasionally make myself eat meals even if I don't feel like I want or need to just to control the loss of appetite. I wouldn't let this be the reason not to try though, the benefits of taking sertralune i have found far outweigh the negative effects.

• Posted

Oh please read all the side effects when you try to come off Zoloft. At first I lost 3 pounds, then I gained them back and now I've gained 6 pounds. Please try everything you can to stay off this medication. Read the horror stories about the hundreds and hundreds of people that are having terrible side effects when they tried to quit using  them.  I was on  Zoloft 100 mg and for some reason they wanted me to take 200 mg! The red flags went up and I started doing my research. I am now down to 50 mg and feeling OK so far.  These darn doctors do not do the research on coming off any medication or they would not prescribe them. I'm sure there are other things you can take to help with your problem.  you are the boss of your body and you have the right to refuse any medication etc. I am A 73-year-old grandmother and have been on these  too long. How do I know that I still need them? Question everything! I will be praying for all of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.