female on 50mg sertraline, weight loss/ weight gain?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi,

I am 32 female and I am suffering depression for a long time on and off. last 2 months due to medical problems my low mood became permanent depression. Today I saw psychiatrist and she suggested taking sertraline 50mg. she said its my choice as she can't force me.

My main worry is Weight, as I have/had eating disorder I control my eating to stay slim. I am not under weight at all. (in fact in last 2 months I put a bit of weight but scared to weight myself)

I am not such a person that depression caused weight loss, or lack of appetite.

I want to know does sertraline cause weight gain or weight loss. She said any time I can stop it and I am due to see her next month. I know it takes 2-6 weeks to see the benefit.

Please give me your experience especially those who are slim before starting the medication. Did you lost weight or gain?

Please help me here

Love

Sally xx

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi sally

I know it's a while since your initial post, but I've been put on the same doseage as you 50mg sertraline, basically I want to know if you noticed any weight gain as at the minute I am trying to lose weight & don't need any added pressure as think this will increase my depression..x

• Posted

Hi Geraldine,I was prescribed 50mg on 17th of July,googled the side effects and weight gain was one of them,went back to doctors 2 weeks later and told him the weight gain bothered me and hadn't started them yet,he told me they don't cause weight gain it's improvement of mood and appetite that causes it.Told him I would start it but still haven't,my low mood causes overeating and I am trying to lose weight,so desperate to feel better but not prepared to gain weight,don't know what else to do.

• Posted

Hi leona, I havnt started mine yet either as I'm in the same boat as you, I'm fighting to lose weight at moment which is proving difficult and not helping my mood, I'm also taking steroids for another problem I have and they have put weight on me as well, so feel like I'm trapped in a never ending bubble that I can't get out of, hope you get sorted soon, take care.x

• Posted

Thank you Geraldine,hope you get sorted too,I've decided I'm not going to take them at all,going to see my GP on Monday and ask him if there is another way to help depression without taking medication,the stories I have read about sertraline are terrifying,it's good to know I'm not the only one struggling like this,good luck and keep me updated x

• Posted

Hi Sally I'm a single mother with a special needs son who endeavours every day life's and trials holding down a full time job and juggling appointments and maintaining everything on my own. I stupidly embarked upon a self build project which came with huge pressures not to mention criminal damage, theft, blackmail and negligence from contractors which resulted in me having a break down, although I continued to work. I have been put on sertraline and heard mixed responses especially recently on the news saying it can make people feel worse. I am running along side and phasing out Amitriptyline. I need help in clarifying if this medication is any good. I have read all the responses but still feel confused...I awake in the mornings with no motivation and sometimes just want to go back to sleep only because I cannot face everything I am faced with. I'm normally a very strong and motivated person with zest for life.

• Posted

I actually was on Zoloft for over 20 years and recently came off. I instantly lost 15 pounds! I never realized how much zoloft packed on the lbs..I had to go back on recently to deal with some anxiety issues and instantly put the 15 lbs right back on!! Going off again and for good this time..

• Posted

Wow reading all the reviews on sertraline I've been on them 3 years I've gone from 12-14 clothes can't shift weight vivid dreams hard to get off to sleep ect 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.