Female Rosacea Sufferer - Make-Up Recommendations please

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have severe rosacea and would like advice on where to start in terms of covering up the redness and large spots etc?  Many thanks.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rhian

I have had rosacea for about 10 years and the best cover-up makeup I have found is mineral powder. On 2 separate occasions recently people have said how good my skin is - I nearly fell over! I have dreadful skin, red, puffy, broken veins and papules!

I can't use regular foundation as it irritates my skin, sinkd into my giant pores making small light dots everywhere and also doesn't stick when I am flushing the worst.

Mineral makeup loose powder is best, but you need a special big soft brush. You need to apply it using a light circular movement and you can build up the coverage in areas you need it most. The minerals give it a natural SPF of around 8 whigh is also useful

It is essential to get a pure mineral powder, not one of the cheaper ones that contain talc and perfume as these are very irritating. Plus the minerals actually help to reduce the infammation.

Some good ones to try are Jane Iredale, Bare Minerals (although some people may react to the Bismuth Oxychloride) or my favourite the M&S Autograph Mineral Loose Powder Foundation. You could also try the GinZing mineral makeup from Origins.

Good luck and best wishes

Miranda

• Posted

Hi Miranda

I have read your information and will definitely try the mineral powder you recommended.

I will let you know how i get on with it.

Do all mineral powders contain bismuth oxychloride?

Thank you

Carole 

• Posted

Im in the same situation as you - rosacea is so tough. Good luck to you girl! Looking forward to trying some of these recommendations! 
  • Posted

Hi Rhian 

I have mild Rosacea with a mix of eczema and sensitive skin!! I use Vichy Dermablend liquid foundation! It covers birthmarks and everything, I use a massive dense headed brush you only need a little it goes a long way. You can send for a colour cars on EBay for couple if quid. 

The problem I have is finding a moisturiser that doesn't irritate! I've spent hundreds over the years from cheap to 50 quid a tub nothing works! I just use simple soap and rinse extremely well! Don't use makeup wipes they are the devil ! Hope this helps contact me if you need help with anything 

• Posted

Hi,  I have had rosacea for about 20 years and with alot of trial and error and costly purchases have found what works for me. My skin is dry and sensitve.   everyone is different.  What works for me is the Avene range for sensitive skin and redness. really good moisturing day and/or night cream, a good SPF cream.  I usually wash with a medical cleanser for sensitive skins Cetaphil. I dont use much make up but when I do its the Bare minerals and just remove it with cottonwool and baby lotion. more economical.  I used to use the Clarins range for sensitive skins, too pricy long term. Dermalogica I have found also has a range for rosacea skin.  I stay out of the sun and too much heat, very little alcohol and spicy foods, extreme weather, hot or cold. 

When I have a flareup that are really bad usually once a year I often am back on oral Minocycline which really helps,  and metronidazol cream. But rosacea can be volatile.

• Posted

I suffer from rosacea. Instead of buying moisturizer I found using essential oil worked best. Now every night I use Vitamin E oil. It will look really oily at first but after about 10 minutes will soak into your skin. All natural and doesn't irritate my skin. Good luck.

• Posted

Hey I can only agree with the mineral foundation. I use Lilly lolo. I use the palest powder. I recently discovered I'm extremely sensitive to all facial products, which has made me face even more blotchy and dry scaly patches. I had to go back to using a cream foundation. 

I have now discovered using honey and a little lemon to exfoliate my face and then using gylercerine and water to moisturise.

Yesterday has been the first time since last August my skin has calmed down and with no flakey ness I could use my mineral powder. 

Not all dermatologist know or prescribe the best for our skin. 

Good luck smile 

• Posted

I use Boots No.7 Beautifully Matte foundation, as recommended by the Boots lady! It covers well and stays on and has many colours. However, my skin is not particularly sensitive so beware if yours is. I just use it to cover this wretched rosacea.
  • Posted

Ordered some Mineral Powder.  No additives, and much cheaper than most I have seen on line. (I live in a very small town, so no stores to shop).  I will post when I receive and try, it really is a LOT cheaper and you can buy samples to try out first.

Meh

• Posted

I use Tarte Amozonian Clay foundation for heavy coverage and for daily lighter coverage I use Tarte BB tinted 12 hour primer. My skin feels like silk using this product and no rosacea flare ups. I also use a little bare minerals powder with a concealer brush to brush over the dark spots where I have some pigmentation. I just recently bought some MSM cream for my night cream and it dries up any breakouts and leaves my skin super soft. It is very affordable and is a sulphur based product which is used to treat rosacea in the US.
    • Posted

Hi LMHO,

What was the best price for the Tarte foundation and what is MSM night cream?

Thank you,

Sunny67

• Posted

Hi Rhian,

What is the MSM night cream and where was the best price for the tarte foundation?

Thank you,

Sunny67

• Posted

sorry sent message accidently to you Rhian instead of  LMHO
    • Posted

Hi Sunny67, I wondered if you would share the reply from LMHO as I am interested in what MSM cream too as I just googled it and there are lots to chose from.

Many thanks Claire

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.